i30 Owners Club

Anyone know where to source a GD-03

Offline michael39

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Global Moderator Comment In reference to :link: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

Great post VTH.......

Anyone know where to source a GD-03......

And anyone had any luck trying to get a reverse camera working at all.
  • I30 Trophy

Offline VTH

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
In reference to :link: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

Great post VTH.......

Anyone know where to source a GD-03......

And anyone had any luck trying to get a reverse camera working at all.

Hi @michael39, as I mentioned in the link, I sourced my GD-03 head unit from a wrecker. Check your local wreckers for a late 2015 i30 or newer and confirm that it's the GD-03. Remember to grab the AUX/USB jack assembly and USB lead as well.
  • 2014 i30 Trophy

Offline michael39

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Thanks VTH....found one but they want $440 for it. might keep looking a bit harder
  • I30 Trophy

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Wow $440. Seems a bit pricey. I guess if wreckers catch on that these units are sought after the price will increase. Put it in perspective though, a brand new GD-03 HU alone ordered through Hyundai was over $2500. I see a few Brisbane wreckers on gumtree with 2016 i30's. I'm too far away unfortunately but maybe a shout out to any members who might be willing to help.
  • 2015 GD3 Series II Active X 5 door hatch auto white

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline michael39

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Well i got myself a unit......so happy days. Can't wait to get stuck into it tomorrow.
Not as good price as a few others on here (paid $330) but i was quoted by hyundai $2.5k also, so a massive savings if it all goes sweetly.
  • I30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:goodjob: and good luck with it..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline VTH

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Well i got myself a unit......so happy days. Can't wait to get stuck into it tomorrow.
Not as good price as a few others on here (paid $330) but i was quoted by hyundai $2.5k also, so a massive savings if it all goes sweetly.

Nice work, did you also manage to get the usb lead and the usb jack assembly?
  • 2014 i30 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I gave Hyundai Heaven a call this morning as they're two minutes around the corner, he had the GD03 units in stock but the thieving prick wants $450 for the unit and another $120 for the USB lead and aux/USB assembly  :crazy1: didn't expect much from this tosser as he's always the dearest around :disapp:

I'll give Korean auto parts a call next week and see if I have better luck with them :Good_luck:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not a glowing recommendation there Craig :rofl:

Offline michael39

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Yep got all the bits and pieces i needed thanks.......worked great straight up. Man i'm impressed with carplay.
Very happy thanks to VTH post on how to do it.
Now if someone knows how to do the reverse cam.....please let me know lol
  • I30 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not a glowing recommendation there Craig :rofl:
:D

I wish it was possible to report companies like his for profiteering but I'll have to settle for bagging them all over the internet :D

Offline Jingle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Upgrading firmware on the GD03 unit yourself was mentioned. Does this mean maps can now be updated without the dealer too, unlike earlier units ?
  • 2013 i30 SR MY14 (Phantom Black)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Upgrading firmware on the GD03 unit yourself was mentioned. Does this mean maps can now be updated without the dealer too, unlike earlier units ?
No, it's only for firmware.

Offline VTH

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I gave Hyundai Heaven a call this morning as they're two minutes around the corner, he had the GD03 units in stock but the thieving prick wants $450 for the unit and another $120 for the USB lead and aux/USB assembly  :crazy1: didn't expect much from this tosser as he's always the dearest around :disapp:

I'll give Korean auto parts a call next week and see if I have better luck with them :Good_luck:

This one's even worse:

:link: Hyundai i30 Genuine Stereo Head Unit with CarPlay | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Ipswich City - Rosewood | 1147626552

$825 without the USB lead and AUX/USB jack assembly....  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• 2014 i30 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This one's even worse:

:link: Hyundai i30 Genuine Stereo Head Unit with CarPlay | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Ipswich City - Rosewood | 1147626552

$825 without the USB lead and AUX/USB jack assembly....  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Brand new in box, I wonder if this might be a dealer getting rid of excess stock :undecided: still to expensive for a stock unit though, can get a flash JVC unit for that.

Offline GreyBanna

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hey all,

Does anybody else know where I could find a GD-03 head unit? I have been searching for a few weeks here in Adelaide as I want to upgrade my 2015 head unit (with navigation ( 7 inch screen)).
I was really disappointed to find out that my unit was not eligible for the firmware upgrade as it runs a version of Windows CE.

I've called up all the local wreckers to no avail :(   
  • i30 SR 2015

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm in the process of hunting one down also, try Gumtree and Ebay if your local wreckers have nothing, they're pretty scarce.

Offline GreyBanna

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Thanks for the advice, but i've also tried Gumtree and Ebay unfortunately. I guess ill take another posters advice and just wait. Its the middle of a very wet and somewhat slippery road season, I cant imagine it will be too long before a few more pop up.

I'll just keep on searching in the meantime. I have plenty of projects on this car to keep me distracted :D
  • i30 SR 2015

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Like I said keep looking on Ebay and such, one here in Adelaide that might still have the stereo if you enquire :link: Hyundai i30 GD 2016 13 14 15 Leather Seat Complete Interior Door Trims Wrecking | eBay

Also from an SR premium which should have the satnav.

Offline VTH

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hey all,

Does anybody else know where I could find a GD-03 head unit? I have been searching for a few weeks here in Adelaide as I want to upgrade my 2015 head unit (with navigation ( 7 inch screen)).
I was really disappointed to find out that my unit was not eligible for the firmware upgrade as it runs a version of Windows CE.

If you haven't already I would suggest you call up every local wrecker you can find that have a 2015-2016 i30 in their yard. Ask them if they could take a photo of the head unit and send it to you. Don't mention anything about Android Auto/Carplay. Once you've confirmed it's a GD-03 then negotiate price. If you can do the removal yourself this should help with bargaining the price down.
  • 2014 i30 Trophy

Offline michael39

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Hey all,

Hi Mate. I found one at Stanvac Auto wreckers at lonsdale. When i went out the back to show them the USB cord i needed i spotted another 2 cars there that looked like they had a GD-03 unit in it. Got it for $330, they tried for for $440 but at least got them down a little. GL
  • I30 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I found one at Stanvac Auto wreckers at lonsdale. When i went out the back to show them the USB cord i needed i spotted another 2 cars there that looked like they had a GD-03 unit in it. Got it for $330, they tried for for $440 but at least got them down a little. GL
Thanks for the tip :goodjob2: there are none available in Perth that I can find so I rang Stanvac this morning and bought their last one, shipped to my door for $350 :happydance:

Offline GreyBanna

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Thanks to CraigB and Michael39 for the tips! I checked out the link from CraigB and ended up buying 4 leather car seats for $300 (as he has already sold his head unit) from the guy to replace my cloth seats. The interior looks fantastic now  :)

I'll check out Michael39's  suggestion today at Lonsdale and see if they have any left. :D
  • i30 SR 2015

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lots of happy campers! :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My GD03 unit arrived this morning, two days earlier than expected :happydance:

Very impressed with the options and sound quality and thankful for detailed instructions by VTH which made the change over very easy :goodjob: firmware update had already been done so that saved me an extra step :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My GD03 unit arrived this morning, two days earlier than expected :happydance:

Very impressed with the options and sound quality and thankful for detailed instructions by VTH which made the change over very easy :goodjob: firmware update had already been done so that saved me an extra step :)

Awesome!  :happydance: :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal