i30 Owners Club

DIY i30 keys - all you ever need to know (and more) !!

stapla · 19 · 11099

Offline stapla

• 2nd Gear

Recently I had problems with my 2011 FD CRDi i30 key. 

The dealer wanted $500 for each new one. Instead of paying the crazy $$ for just 1 key, I decided to go on a mission to find out if there was any cheaper options or even DIY.

My 2011 i30 key has 3 components

- Metal key blade
- Transponder chip
- Central locking transmitter

Everyone knows what the key blade does.

The transponder is the bit that works with the immobilizer to allow the car to start.  It is actually just a tiny wedge shaped black carbon "pill".  It doesn't look like a chip at all.  It isn't powered by the remote battery. 

The central locking transmitter, as the name suggests is the bit that unlocks the door when you hit the button.  Its a circuit board powered by the button sized remote battery. 

Digging deeper, I found 2 options - go to a locksmith instead of the dealer or steep learning curve DIY.  Locksmith would probably cost less than half of what the dealer would charge.

I chose DIY option because I wanted to learn how all this stuff worked - and potentially save money in future if I needed more keys for me or any of my mates.  Ebay had some complete new cheap key fobs for $20 or less.

Here is what I discovered after a tonne of research and trial and error.

Firstly, the transponder type is ID46.  A lot of googling and I found this system is actually quiet hard to copy but not impossible.  Even commercial grade locksmith hardware often couldn't copy this chip.  In many cases extra tokens $$ or modules $$$$ were required in addition to the locksmith hardware.  Some of the hardware was thousands of $$.  I eventually found a chinese machine that could copy ID46.  It needs 1 original key and the car - it actually sniffs and learns, before it is able to copy a transponder.  Blank chips are around $20 AUS or less.

The dealer doesn't need to clone the transponder, they can lookup the VIN and get a PIN password.  Once you have the PIN you can use the Hyundai dealer GDS software to program the key into the ECU.  This is the only way if you loose all the keys to the car.

I ordered the chinese clone machine and some chips.  I found it worked fine and now I had a transponder chip that allowed the car to start when the key was turned.

Next challenge was the remote central locking.  The ebay instructions said the car central locking module under dash should have a switch on it.  Turn the switch to "set" and press the remote button - thats it.  Well turns out that might work for a early model, definately not mine.  Turns out the only way for mine is to do it via a scantool or dealer software. 

I looked at the hyundai dealer software "GDS" and the VCI hardware to connect via OBDII.  I noticed some dealers pay up to $16,000 for complete trolley, computer, GDS software and VCI adapter.  Ouch - a bit expensive for DIY. I found GDS is available via internet, but the catch is you still need a VCI adaptor.  I found the chinese have been able to clone the VCI hardware and it is available at not too crazy prices.

Once the VCI adaptor arrived and GDS software loaded, i tried to program the central locking transmitters. It clears any old transmitters when you program the new remote, so you need all the keys together when you do this, otherwise the missing key won't work in future for unlocking the car.

My original key remote programmed fine, but my $15 ebay job just wouldn't work.  The red light would work but GDS software didn't detect the remote.  After a crap load of research and more ebay purchasing I eventually found there is at least two types of i30 keys.  CE0678 and CE0782 on the label is one way to determine a difference.  Internally the circuit board looked a lot more simple on the $15 unit.  Eventually I found purchasing a $50 unit from ebay that had CE0678 the same as mine worked.

In summary - to get a 2nd key (or 3rd etc)

- Get a key blade cut by locksmith
- Copy transponder myself using clone device
- Program the central locking remote using dealer software.
- None of the above information can be used to steal a car.  My method still needs at least 1 original key and also full access to the car itself.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Nice. Could you post a link for the VCI adapter you used? If it really works with the GDS which available online I would really want toto buy the adaptor too...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline stapla

• 2nd Gear
Heres an example.  If you shop around you should be able to cheaper if you buy direct out of china.  The VCI kit even came with the GDS software. I didn't use it though.  I know the USA GDS software doesn't support diesels (apparently they don't sell them over there).  Europe version works fine.

:link: 2017 GDS VCI for HYUN-DAI with Trigger Module OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Code Reader | eBay

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Since you've invested in the knowledge and the gear, you could recoup costs by offering to clone members' keys for a reasonable price. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

I'd be interested in reading more about how the transponder cloning works, how long the process takes, etc.

Similarly, how straightforward is it to use GDS with the VCI adapter?
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate excellent post, thanks.
I use locksmiths and find that they usually struggle to get the PIN password from Hyundai.
It takes time, not sure how cooperative Hy will be with an individual.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline stapla

• 2nd Gear
Since you've invested in the knowledge and the gear, you could recoup costs by offering to clone members' keys for a reasonable price. :winker:

Thanks for the idea.  Although I'm not interested in becoming a backyard locksmith, I would be willing to loan my equipment to other aussies.

Offline stapla

• 2nd Gear
Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

I'd be interested in reading more about how the transponder cloning works, how long the process takes, etc.

Similarly, how straightforward is it to use GDS with the VCI adapter?

Thanks for the feedback.  I might do a couple videos to describe the process.  Its fairly straightforward and quick.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I used to build custom UHF central locking kits as a hobby for a range of cars. Pretty much they all sync the same way, initialising them with a quick handshake, maybe 3 seconds max.

Offline chaosmagician

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Im in Sydney.. are you/the equipment also in Sydney? Would be keen on getting a couple of keys done.. and compensating you for your equipment/time! 
  • 2013 i30 Elite Tourer Wagon CDRi - 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm currently posted to Melbourne. You'll want to match the receiver already in your car, only not at dealer prices. I'm pretty sure some good deals were found and described in threads on this forum. Just play with the search function a little more.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah, you were asking Stapla!
He might notice if you type @stapla
 :D

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:faint:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline chaosmagician

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      sydney

:faint:

thanks The Gonz!

@stapla Im in Sydney.. are you/the equipment also in Sydney? Would be keen on getting a couple of keys done.. and compensating you for your equipment/time!
  • 2013 i30 Elite Tourer Wagon CDRi - 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
DO do you think keys will get very pricy in years to come? as new cars just have a button and non keyed fob so do new Harley's I got new keys for my old Harley took over a month to get from usa you have to prove ownership then give chassis and engine number but they are cheap to buy just no idea how much longer Harley will do the service. could be same with Hyundai but rolls Roycepricing :eek:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
DO do you think keys will get very pricy in years to come? as new cars just have a button and non keyed fob so do new Harley's I got new keys for my old Harley took over a month to get from usa you have to prove ownership then give chassis and engine number but they are cheap to buy just no idea how much longer Harley will do the service. could be same with Hyundai but rolls Roycepricing :eek:
Especially if dick head Trump pushes too many buttons...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
We can only hope that there are a few adults in the room with  :crazy2: Trump .
 Otherwise, lots of melted Harleys and Hyundais.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:judges:

Although it may be the opposite as demand will be low as nobody will be left>

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
We can only hope that there are a few adults in the room with  :crazy2: Trump .
 Otherwise, lots of melted Harleys and Hyundais.

You can almost see him confineed to a room full of  soft squeaky toys to keep him occupied.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal