i30 Owners Club

Fuel Savings

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I realised an interesting trend relating to my fuel consumption.
As some of you will be aware, I recently swapped my i30 FD for a Corolla.
Over the almost 100,000 klms I had it the i30 recorded 8.17 litres/100klms.Despite being an automatic, my wife's Corolla has always returned around 7l/100k.
Now on my 5th tank in my 6 speed manual, I'm running at 6.4 l/110k.
A quick projection suggests that if this economy continues, I will save almost the cost of my services between services.  :mrgreen: :goodjob2:

Not bad in my book.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's great Trevor. I think Trish would be getting roughly that in her 1.6 GDi Manual tourer, but it is one area where Hyundai could lift their game... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
sounds good Trev, what size motor & how much did the fd i30 weigh? how much does corolla weigh & what size motor? my fathers gd i30 1.8 auto always uses or shows on the computer around 10l/100k thats in Sydney hill's & traffic
last time I read a post you made about your fd i30 did not sound like you would part with it?
a mate in sydney sent me a pic of his new Ford Focus rs and I think 2.2 turbo he had to order then wait 18 months for delivery its manual he is like me won't drive an auto to let a salesman tell him an auto can be driven manual, I ask where the clutch is.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 20:34:01 by Lakes »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@Lakes ,
The i30 was 2.0L, the Corolla is 1.8L.
I think (but I don't know for sure, the Toyota feels heavier (and slightly larger) than the i30.
i30 was 5 speed, the Corolla, 6 speed.

Although the i30 was an awesome car to drive, the seating position pretty much perfect, I have been having trouble getting into it with my height and some small issues with lower back and thighs. For some reason, the Corolla is easier to access. Marginally less fun to drive, though.
It was second hand because I didn't want to fork out for a new car when in a few years my wife and I will probably go to one car between us. At this stage, that will be a Hyundai Kona if it proves to be as good as I think it will.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
can understand, my friend is tall and just bought a chevy c1500 ute with 350 v8 as fits into it easier than the fd i30 his was crdi 6 speed.
now the poor bugger will be living in his wallet keeping fuel in it

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
which asks me the question ...."why does the 4speed auto 2lt petrol get better fuel economy than the 6speed auto 2lt petrol (both i30 models)......what are the two extra gears for ?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Less change points  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
which asks me the question ...."why does the 4speed auto 2lt petrol get better fuel economy than the 6speed auto 2lt petrol (both i30 models)......what are the two extra gears for ?
Was power increased in the latter model :undecided: vehicle weight could also be different :undecided:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Was power increased in the latter model :undecided: vehicle weight could also be different :undecided:

It was the FD and GD model....

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

It was the FD and GD model....
That's what I mean, what are the power and weight differences from each other :undecided:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I think Trev had a 5 speed manual not an auto, my fathers gd 1.8 auto but one car only driven in the city of Sydney thats why

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I think Trev had a 5 speed manual not an auto, my fathers gd 1.8 auto but one car only driven in the city of Sydney thats why
John, I think Neptune is referring to a different fuel economy situation he's noticed, not my two cars.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal