Who Has a Tidy Garage?

AlanHo · 13 · 2860

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In addition to the driver’s door and sill being crumpled by a hit and run driver on a car park a couple of weeks ago, the door mirror was also damaged. The lens covering the LED direction signal repeater built into the mirror unit was broken.  I happen to know (because a guy on the KIA forum broke his on his garage door frame) that you cannot buy just the lens – you have to buy a complete door mirror assembly which costs £510 fitted.

We have a single garage and the door opening is adequate – but not generous - which causes me to worry that one of these days either Libby or myself are going to misjudge the LHS of the car and hit the door mirror on the door frame. It’s more likely to be me actually because I find it difficult to judge the clearance between the car and door frame on the LHS.

In addition – the garage is not all that deep and I have shelving on the bottom wall – so positioning the car front is also tricky. Many a time I have parked up and noticed (before I pushed the door closure button), that I have not gone far enough into the garage.

So I decided to screw some timber batons to the floor to ensure that the car cannot enter the garage too close to the LHS door frame and will always stop in exactly the right position to ensure the rear of the car is clear of the door as it closes.

It works a treat.

The garage was in a right mess with all the wood cutting, drilling and planing when I finished so I decided to reorganise and tidy the garage in addition to clearing up the mess.

In this view you can see a wine rack which holds the excess bottles that cannot be accommodated in the house where the rack only holds 24 bottles. There are also some duplicate bottles of spirits in the rack for which there is no room in our drinks cabinet.

This is the stuff stored on the LHS of the garage – paint, tools, car stuff etc.
No – your eyes are not deceiving you – that is indeed a stair lift tucked away in the corner, on top of which are a couple of spare rugs. It was installed in the house when we bought it in 2013 and Libby insisted that it be removed. She didn’t want to be reminded of our possible future every day. So I dismantled it and tucked it into the garage – just in case.

So that’s another job completed – anyone care to compete with who has the tidiest garage?

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What no car!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very impressive use of space Alan. We are spoilt for room, but I try to keep ours fairly tidy..

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Righto you two, 
Which one of you clever people is going to come and sort out my mess ?   :rofl:  :rofl:

Lots of ideas, must get off my arse and make a start. Sure I could win most untidiest   :winker:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Righto you two, 
Which one of you clever people is going to come and sort out my mess ?   :rofl:  :rofl:

Lots of ideas, must get off my arse and make a start. Sure I could win most untidiest   :winker:

Trouble is with a big house and garage everyone wants us to store stuff! All those boxes on top of the cupboards are my youngest daughter's stuff!  :crazy2:

The timber sheeting at the back of the garage is cut to size to go around the hot water cylinder when I get some framing timber., so must do that to get rid of a bit more crap.  :victory:

@mickd Cheap laundry cupboards are the best thing if you have the room to put them.  :goodjob:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
@mickd

You'd have some competition from here too, I can't even fit my car at the moment, but on the bright side I got until October/November before I need to get the stored stuff out before the car needs to go in there for winter tires and new oil.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I have a nice tidy garage but I am not going to show you, you will just have to take my word for it. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Alan another tricki ha e seen in use, is length of string stuck to roof of garage with something on end to add weight make it hang straight. Idea is when the end bit touchs windscreen you stop & can duplicat the stop every time.

We had a very large under house garage with work shop in sydney could fit 6 cars. Now have one garage u nder main roof i get a toyota hulux 4x4 ute with high lift kit in plus a motor bike two trolly jacks air compresser highpressure washer& all my tools in there

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Alan another tricki ha e seen in use, is length of string stuck to roof of garage with something on end to add weight make it hang straight. Idea is when the end bit touchs windscreen you stop & can duplicat the stop every time.

We had a very large under house garage with work shop in sydney could fit 6 cars. Now have one garage u nder main roof i get a toyota hulux 4x4 ute with high lift kit in plus a motor bike two trolly jacks air compresser highpressure washer& all my tools in there

Wow, I could do with a six car garage. We have four cars in our family with 2 car garage. We are forever swapping cars around. :'(
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Heres mine, not the usual garage stuff exactly - fridge, wood stove, pool, lots of wood, worn out winter tires and some garden tools.

I'll make a project of this someday - windows need rebuilding/repairing, inner and outer walls need repairs and a new coating of paint. I want to pull the inner roof off to get the full height, very pretty doors need new paint too... Also, electricity would be a nice start! And maybe coat the floor with something to make it easier to clean than bare concrete.

• Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Heres mine, not the usual garage stuff exactly - fridge, wood stove, pool, lots of wood, worn out winter tires and some garden tools.

I'll make a project of this someday - windows need rebuilding/repairing, inner and outer walls need repairs and a new coating of paint. I want to pull the inner roof off to get the full height, very pretty doors need new paint too... Also, electricity would be a nice start! And maybe coat the floor with something to make it easier to clean than bare concrete.

Gee I would have thought in your cold climate having your car in the garage would be more important than that other stuff!  :eek:

Makes me realise how lucky I am having a double garage with power attached to the house!

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to put a coating on my concrete floor. Found some competitively priced Aussie stuff that is water based called Nutech.  :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal