i30 Owners Club

got a sms saying possible inheritance

Lakes · 3 · 1088

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
yeh sure, first time I've had an sms from a stranger, but wants me to e mail them as some client with same surname . but never mentioned my surname/ anyone else get these? I'm not stupid and  so not giving out my e mail. nothing like this ever happened before and don't know how they would get my mobile #?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
yeh sure, first time I've had an sms from a stranger, but wants me to e mail them as some client with same surname . but never mentioned my surname/ anyone else get these? I'm not stupid and  so not giving out my e mail. nothing like this ever happened before and don't know how they would get my mobile #?

I haven't had that exact scenario John, but they would just generate thousands of the same message to random mobile numbers.

By doing this, even if only one in 100 responds they still get a good result.

Guess they would use a stolen mobile or some other means of getting around the cost of the messages.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Usually these types of phishing attempts are done via email, not so common via phone but not unheard of.

Information - numbers - names etc are always being sold off via advertising and data collection companies, eg, you ring and insurance company for a quote...that info is collected and eventually sold off down the line or stolen buy hackers who also sell off the info or use it personally for malicious purposes.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal