i30 Owners Club

Engine jerks when off the accelator at around 36mph

Offline Stipmajstr

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
Hello everyone!

This is my first contribution to the forum, so hope I'm not breaking any rules or anything.

I recently bought a b/d i30 SE reg. Nov2015, it's got 26k miles on the clock now. Just couple weeks ago I noticed this strange behaviour. When I get my foot off the accelerator in 4th gear while doing around 36mph, instead of getting smooth enginbraking it jerks/shudders brake until either foot back on the gas or the speed drops to 34 mph. It doesn't happen every time and never occurred going uphill. But happens quite often and it drives me crazy. Also never happens in any other gear or speed. Only 4th gear 36mph.

Anybody have experienced or dealt with anything like this?
Any ideas what could be the cause or how to get it fixed?

Thanks for all the replies in advance.
Cheerio!

• 2015 i30 SE diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi mate, you are most welcome.  :)
Cant say the same about your fault! Its a new one to me, especially being so speed and torque specific. It sounds like it is over-fuelling at that speed, if your overall fuel economy is ok,(?????) I would speculate that it is an electronic glitch.

Given the age of the vehicle, it should be under warranty, so throw it in Hyundai's lap.
hopefully,   @cruiserfied    or another member has had this exact  problem, so I'll watch with interest.
Cheers G

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You need an ECU update.

Happened to me :link: Jerky GD (although I didn't update that thread - oops) and they performed an update which sorted it out.

Is it due a service? Probably not at 26k miles, but let them know what we said when you next take it in.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Happened to me :link: Jerky GD (although I didn't update that thread - oops)

hmmm,  :mrgreen:  Two Jerks solve the Jerk conundrum !

And I was right  :victory:

Thanks Shambles.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal