i30 Owners Club

Wanted to replace my FD with a GD, but...

Asterix · 5 · 18722

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
As my trusty and loved 2008 FD now have done 280,000 km I wanted to replace it with something newer.

Found a 2012 GD Tourer with only 89,000 on the clock and arranged for a testdrive. The car looked fine and drove very well which of course would be expected with nearly 200,000 less wear and tear. But, I didn't get that wauw-feeling I had expected with the change from the 1st generation to 2nd.

Apart form the obvious with the much less worn suspension giving a more smooth ride, I didn't get that feeling of a newer or more refined car. Furthermore, the throttle responce in the GD CRDi is sooo slow compared to my FD, and I always think the FD is not reacting quick enough.

2 things I do like about the GD is the much lower road and engine noise..  :goodjob2:

I didn't buy the car and am no longer sure my beloved FD will be replaced with a GD. Might be time to consider a PD or i40, but carhunting is now put on hold until I'm done with my house renovating.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 20:12:52 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Henning. Yes, I found that when I've driven a GD CRDi.

Not sure if it is because they are heavier or quieter or what, but I found them a bit lazier than the FD too.  :undecided:

The 1.7 CRDi in the i40 feels a bit lazy too, being that the i40 is a bigger heavier car.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The i30 1.6 diesel engine was designed in Germany to Euro 5 emission standards. This was fitted to all FD cars

The GD car has a Euro 6 compatible engine. In Europe it had a DPF but this came later in Australia.

I wonder whether the "feel" of the engine can be traced back to this difference
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I didn't notice much of a difference between the FD i30 and the i40. Perhaps the change from the 4 to 6 speed auto had something to do with it?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
bit late here, I always thought the gd diesel got taller gearing, so would make them feel less responsive .
just check gear ratio's between fd & gd.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal