i30 Owners Club

Extended Hyundai dealer warranty

pidim · 9 · 2308

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I had an interesting phone call today.  My Hyundai dealer rang asking me when I would like to book my car in for service.  I told them that it is not due yet – it has only been 6 months.

Woman on the other end told me yes that is correct but my 5 year Hyundai warranty is over and they require annual servicing (or 15000km).  However, in order to keep my extended dealer warranty provided by Suttons, I would now have to revert to 6 monthly servicing.

I asked why, when annual was good enough for Hyundai. After some silence, she said that this was the only way to keep the extended warranty (which is code for customers will pay for this). 

Anyway, I told her I had no intention of paying double in service costs to keep an extended warranty.

I find that this is misleading and deceptive practice and was never communicated to me until now.  I was told that as long as I service my car at their dealership that I would receive an additional 3 years of warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this or been made aware?  Surely this is cannot be legal by getting you to service your car twice as often as what is recommended just to have extended warranty?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would be as upset about this as you are. I would ask them to send you an email with the details so that you can refer it to your legal representative. :evil:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
you can refer it to your legal representative

Which of course would be us :snigger:

Seriously, though, that would really piss me off, being forced to increase my servicing schedule purely to enhance their servicing turnover figures.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi pidim,
As I've been doing the hunt for a "new " car for Kate ( youngest daughter ) , I have come across this. Told dealer that it was useless to me and to take it off the price.
He then told me that  they pay for it and by using 6mth / 5k km, that is how they make the profit.
He was going to make $500 on the car and each service would be $300 to $350 if pads belts etc were ok, so much more if items not covered, brake fluid, trans fluid etc , needed to be replaced.  If they weren't replaced warranty was void .
That should have been pointed out to you and you should have been required to initial it.
Mick.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If you look at the 'stealer' extra warranty you will usually discover a bunch of small print limiting their exposure.

From one I was shown, if your Transmission was to go, they were limited to $1500 exposure. Which given they will be charging you stealer prices to replace it is only a reduction in their profit. You would more than likley still get it done cheaper using someone else.....Hence useless.

Back then the major service on the FD was about $600 and I could get it done for half of that, so over the life of the vehicle, the cost of paying extra dealer prices for services more than covered the cost of any extras that might have come up.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Dealer just came back to me and "apologised" for the call centre doing that.  Service dept said that all I have to do is carry out the normal service schedule as per Hyundais recommendations.  Of course, I won't pay stupid prices to keep that, so will be interesting what that will be when service time comes next March.

Also, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good to hear, please keep us posted when the time comes.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
 yes good to hear it , would be better to SEE it.
Ask for it  in writing 👍. 
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi,
 yes good to hear it , would be better to SEE it.
Ask for it  in writing 👍.

Yep. Got the email shortly after hanging up.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal