i30 Owners Club

High revving, while in 3rd gear

Offline Pilbara Kiwi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Pilbara

• Here it is the Pilbara special ..... our i30 CW
Not too sure if this has already been discussed, but thought I would again address the panel of experts on this problem.

Just clocked up 1900km, on the CW, and now this particular problem has started, when I am in 3rd gear with my foot OFF the accelerator, and travelling at very low speed, the motor revs up to around 1100, and the car starts accelerating, until either I put my foot on the clutch or change down to 2nd gear..... is this unique to this model of i30????

Is this a feature or should I get it checked out, my Toyota Landcruiser does not do this....... 

Otherwise, this is a fantastic car, didn't to too well economy wise on the first tank of diesel, but managed to get 900km out of my second tank...  after reading some of the blogs, I haven't done too badly since it's a new car

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah it's a known "feature"

See this topic :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Pilbara Kiwi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Pilbara

Thanks Shambles for that, well it caught me by suprise, but hey I'm not complaining, it would definitely be a good feature when we head to Perth and join the masses in peak hour traffic.  (lol)

No traffic lights up here ..... and peak hour consists of  following about 30 cars at 6am in the morning, or if you are unlucky stuck behind 3 or 4 multi trailer road trains

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Some despise it, but I love it. When you get used to it it can be quite rewarding, definitely in peak hour traffic :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
Just clocked up 1900km, on the CW, and now this particular problem has started, when I am in 3rd gear with my foot OFF the accelerator, and travelling at very low speed, the motor revs up to around 1100, and the car starts accelerating, until either I put my foot on the clutch or change down to 2nd gear..... is this unique to this model of i30????
As the motor loosens this "problem" becomes less pronounced - it holds onto 1000 revs instead of 1100, at least mine did.  This does help.

It's a double edged sword; helps at times and not at others. You get to accept that you must change down a bit before you really want to, in the lower gears, or run the risk of being "pushed'.

If it was regulated to 800 rpm (idle speed) instead, it would be better but I suspect a lot of this is also to with polution control.

I'm yet to see the ratios in the new 6 speed box but if 2nd and 3rd are lower this would also be better with regard to the minimum speed in each gear.  A side benefit with the 6 speed box might also be a lower 5th gear allowing greater use at "around town speeds" while at the same time giving a better highway cruising rpm for 6th gear.

So all these small niggles might be addressed by the new gear box.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Its an anti stall feature on the diesel
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Hey Pilbara Kiwi, I think you'll find the 'cruiser does it as well, but at a lower RPM.  All diesels do it.  Try slowing down in third in the 'cruiser and it will "catch" the revs around idle speed.  Its the governor, or its electronic equivalent.  Are you in Karrachi?

Offline Pilbara Kiwi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Pilbara

Hey Pilbara Kiwi, I think you'll find the 'cruiser does it as well, but at a lower RPM.  All diesels do it.  Try slowing down in third in the 'cruiser and it will "catch" the revs around idle speed.  Its the governor, or its electronic equivalent.  Are you in Karrachi?

Thanks for that Lucifer...... I'll try it in the cruiser ........ as for location I'm not in Karrachi ...... I'm about 1500km north of you in Port Hedland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal