i30 Owners Club

My i30 Active PD

Joewong · 21 · 6078

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
So far, I'm been doing some upgrading here and there to make it more sporty. Upgrading to 18" alloys has done wonders for the looks and feel of this Active model. I really love the Phantom Black.

[/
  • 2017 i30 Active PD 2.0-litre Auto Phantom Black

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Looks cool as with those alloys
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Nice one, I too have a phantom black active PD and a set of 18's is next on the to do list.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent Joe,

Nice choice of wheels, looks "mint" with the black!  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Swweett   :cool:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia
looks good! did you have to do anything with the tyre monitoring system or is that just out the window now changing the wheels over?
did it affect it at all?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 SR Manual (Sunroof) PD

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
No, the tyre shop used back the original tyre monitoring valve from the original wheels. So I can still monitor tyre pressure from the car information system and from the Auto Link app. Always let the tyre people be aware of the monitoring valve when changing wheels. And make sure they test it after changeover, like they did on mine, to make sure it works.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
@Joewong those photos are superb :goodjob:

PS, thanks for your gallery entry - the PD category was looking a little sparse :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
@Joewong those photos are superb :goodjob:

PS, thanks for your gallery entry - the PD category was looking a little sparse :D

Thanks. Yeah, need to get more PDs up there.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
beautiful car Joe! wheels look good on it.
I think a really good idea would be to put tyre sealer in each tyre. I've seen the tyre sealer seal holes in the wall of the tyres and keep them up. reason I'm mentioning is our crap roads. a good friend of mine had his new holden ss v8 Utes tyres (18" ) go flat trying to drive on a dirt road, the wheel got damaged before he noticed he had a flat. tyre sealer would have saved him from that happening. I have spoke wheels and run them tubeless using tyre sealer , have never had flats but have seen some sealer seal holes. also spoke wheels, the spokes would normally leak air out if you went tubeless. but the sealer seals it and easy to use too. just thought I would mention. also I love the look of the pd now and see a lot on the road now. enjoy.

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I think a really good idea would be to put tyre sealer in each tyre. I've seen the tyre sealer seal holes in the wall of the tyres and keep them up. reason I'm mentioning is our crap roads. a good friend of mine had his new holden ss v8 Utes tyres (18" ) go flat trying to drive on a dirt road, the wheel got damaged before he noticed he had a flat. tyre sealer would have saved him from that happening. I have spoke wheels and run them tubeless using tyre sealer , have never had flats but have seen some sealer seal holes. also spoke wheels, the spokes would normally leak air out if you went tubeless. but the sealer seals it and easy to use too. just thought I would mention. also I love the look of the pd now and see a lot on the road now. enjoy.

Thanks for your recommendation. Not sure if tyre sealer, you meant tyre sealant. I hardly go on dirt or gravel roads and usually avoid them to prevent damage to wheels and car body. Unless I have an old car or SUV, I would probably not head that way if I can help it.

Yes the PD looks even more euro-oriented than previous models. Traces of Golf, A3 and even Peugeot 308 are seen in the design.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Lakes

Is that Sealer/sealant the same stuff you use to repair punctured tyres John? Trevor and most other Tyre experts hate the stuff. Apparently it ruins the tyres. Probably a different story with bike tyres though.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Apparently it ruins the tyres.
Yes, I read it turns the tyre rubber to powder over time. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have not used it on motor bikes or cars but its the go on pushy they have lots of different types  with pushy's tyres last. might be different, but it's working and has been working fine on pushy for a while now.
tyre people hate it as it was messy to change a tyre that used it but the pushy not too bad if use right stuff. even factory using it.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Apparently it ruins the tyres.
Yes, I read it turns the tyre rubber to powder over time. :confused:

gonz, I'm not a tyre expert like Trev , so what I have learnt is just experience racing go karts, driving trucks, driving cars riding motor bikes.
some very sticky rubber goes off if tyre exposed to the sun a lot.
you see very old tyres that have stood around not being used they get flat spots at the bottom. they look cracked and crumbly from standing around.

I'm always on the move I sent my motor bikes ( the one I road from cairns ) brand new tyre bald  in only 7,000k was new in cairns. now I have ridden that bike 12,000k not trying , I have ridden my new pushy 1,200k  my truck has almost 300,000k
on the move!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's impressive, John. I store (cure) my car tyres stacked on their walls for the same concern about flat spots.

My old Renault Fuego still had its original - 25 year old - Michelin TRX one-of-a-kind-for-the-car tyre on its one-of-a-kind-for-the-car wheel as a spare AND I USED IT when one of the ordinary four on Camira SLX mags went flat. :eek:

The tyre was rock solid from age but it did the job. :lol: :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
It looks gorgeous with those 18”!
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks MIY. Yes they do. Somehow the 16" stock doesn't do justice to the looks. This PD model is made for 18" essentially.  I reckon with another 10mm drop, it would be just perfect for everyday driving. I wish the designers would have done that from the start.

Offline Joewong

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Subtle red trim to front and back. Cost all of $2.60 to buy the 5m red trim online.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks good I've done similar.   :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal