i30 Owners Club

i30 PD CRDI Maximum Range?

Mark70 · 12 · 4806

Offline Mark70

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Friends! (Form lurkers too!), Romans! (Australians too!), Countrymen! (Cityfolk too!):

Those of you with a new-ish i30 PD (MY2018) Diesel Hyundai car, what Range does your display show immediately after filling the 50L tank?

Hayden Shannon (in his article below) says "a highway range of over 1000km" suggests he's seeing over 1000Km:
:link: 2017 Hyundai i30 Premium 1.6 CRDi review | CarAdvice

Mine always says about 850Km, and that's with regular 150Km, ~2 hour, cruises at a steady 80-100-110Km/h.

I did have a Citroen ("French Diesel") previously (EURO4 emissions compliance) , and with its 60L tank I would regularly see 1500Km on the estimator when full, and NEVER filled up unless I had done AT LEAST 1000Km, and even then usually had about 350Km left (and less than 1/4 tank).

What Maximum Range figures is everyone else seeing?
  • MY2018, 2017, PD, Premium, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 Turbo, DCT, White

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I believe it works the ranged based on previous data re mpg/kpl

So if that is high range will be greater, low range lower.

So wonder if ecu needs to monitor then takes an average mpg/kpl then takes mean range figure.

Be interesting what others think.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
My GD Tourer always says over 1000km when just filled up, so I would expect a PD to do the same unless driven mostly in the city. I got 1332km from one tank, filled 52.03l after that. My average is 1157km driven per tank. Mostly due to the winter 6 months a year, the weather conditions coupled with the heavier and gripper winter tires kill fuel economy. 4.7l/100km compared to 4.2l/100km on summer tires, averages from ~45000km or 14 months driving (official figure is 4.5l/100km, my total average is 4.42l/100km (80000km), 4.34 for only 2017).

The PD (Non tourer) has a official figure of 3.6l/100km, with that economy it should show +1200km, its probably a little pessimistic like mine, I usually get 1-200km more than it says, it get more accurate as the tank is depleted, when it goes out(50km remaining) I would stop for fuel within 50km.

The calculator gets reset if you remove the negative terminal wire from the battery, if you want to start fresh. It takes a few thousand km for it to learn again, and it will be very pessimistic at start. I believe it keeps its own long time memory of consumption, something like the last 3-5000km.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi again Mark,

The DTE figure in the Trip Computer has always proven to be very conservative in earlier models. Mine in the SR (Petrol Turbo) is probably more accurate/realistic but still a little conservative @ between 650 and 670. Think I could safely squeeze 700+ kms out of her on longer trips.

I would be disappointed if I were you and I wasn't getting over 1000 kms out of each tank on manual brim to brim calculations.
I'll tag @Hati although his PD Elite might be a manual?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
although his PD Elite might be a manual?

Ah, discovered a new forum feature. Highlight the lines in a post you want to quote, hit the "quote" button and presto, only the highlighted bits show up :D Outdone myself for the morning :D :D

On topic: Elites are available in DCT only. They only do manual in the Active range. My range display is the same as the OP, always under 900 km. It just sits there around 800 odd km counter and changes very little for the duration of the first quarter tank or so. I only had 5 or 6 fills since we got the car (1000 km + on each tank effective range) so maybe the trip computer did not have enough data to get its shit together. Bit annoying but there are very few "issues" with the car like that so it gets away with it ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Hati. Nice pickup with the quote feature. I should have known that but didn't.  :-[

So as I suspected the Diesel (in particular) is very conservative with DTE (always was in FD and GD) :cool:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The i40 always read mid to high 800s when I refilled and always got 12-1300ks from memory (Hopefully the new one will smash 1500  :happydance:)
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
I've only filled my UK spec PD manual diesel twice. Each time was just after the DTE went to nothing. On both occasions the 50 litre tank took 53 litres to brim and the DTE reset to 566 miles.
I had an FD manual diesel for 8 years and 1 month during which it clocked up 288,800 miles. Every time I filled it the DTE reset to 556 miles. For the first 180-210 miles the DTE fell at the same rate that the odometer increased. It would then either reset to 556 miles and the DTE would fall sometimes quicker, sometimes slower than the odometer increased, or the DTE would not reset but the DTE fell 1 mile for every 2 on the odometer until about 150 miles remained on the DTE at which point the DTE would fall sometimes quicker, sometimes slower than the odometer increased. I could almost always go more than 800 miles on a brimmed tank and several times actually drove more than 900 miles without fuelling.
Does anyone know the actual capacity of the PD as opposed to the stated capacity of 50 litres? The stated capacity of my FD was 53 litres but I once squeezed in over 61 litres.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi marti,

I've got a Petrol PD SR and the most I've put in is around 47 litres when DTE says 0 kms remaining. So I suspect it won't go much over the 50 unlike the FD.  I haven totally brimmed it though.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thanks Hati. Nice pickup with the quote feature. I should have known that but didn't.  :-[

So as I suspected the Diesel (in particular) is very conservative with DTE (always was in FD and GD) :cool:

When I highlighted some of your text and clicked on quote - the whole post was quoted and not just the highlighted bit. I only highlighted "Thanks Hati".

Hence it does the same as when you don't highlight anything and just press quote.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: AlanHo
When I highlighted some of your text and clicked on quote - the whole post was quoted and not just the highlighted b

It'll do that if you don't have javascript installed (or if you block scripts in your browser).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I must have similar "script" settings to Alan. I tried it and wasn't going to just post the selected section either... :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal