i30 Owners Club

Engine Oil Levels

Offline gtomovski

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
Hi, i would like to ask a question about my I30 model from 2011

I went to check my oil and i got confused when i saw the rod was dry when i put it in the engine, but then i started my engine and let it run for about 1 minute and when i turned off the engine and went to re-check the oil levels the rod wasnt dry it was slightly above the "full" level, and instantly after that i checked the oil levels and the rod was dry again, and everytime it was the same result, minute after the engine was turned off everything was fine, but then a few minutes later the rod was dry.
Any suggestions? This problem hasn't been occuring before like a few months ago. If i need to further explain please ask.
  • Hyundai I30 2011

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I assume the car is on level ground and engine turned off for at least 10 minutes before checking the oil :undecided:

Offline gtomovski

• 1st Gear

• mk Macedonia
The problem was solved it was a very dumb mistake on my side, i forgot to factor in that the car was slightly tilted but we placed it on flat ground and apparently that was the problem,i panicked when i first saw it and i wasnt thinking straight, thank you anyways!
  • Hyundai I30 2011

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You're welcome, glad there's no problem :goodjob2:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I assume you're taking the dipstick out, wiping it clean, and then putting it back in, then pulling it out again to check the level? With the engine running, oil will be flying around in the sump and coating the dipstick. Put in on level ground with the engine warm and leave it for a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump. With my diesel, the manual states 5.3 litres to fill it, but I find 5 litres is enough to reach the 'full' mark on the dipstick
  • i30 CRD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I assume you're taking the dipstick out, wiping it clean, and then putting it back in, then pulling it out again to check the level? With the engine running, oil will be flying around in the sump and coating the dipstick. Put in on level ground with the engine warm and leave it for a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump. With my diesel, the manual states 5.3 litres to fill it, but I find 5 litres is enough to reach the 'full' mark on the dipstick
Did you happen to miss reply 2 which stated problem solved...car was not level when checking oil :)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I sure did, but even on level ground you should 1. wait a few minutes for the oil to drain down and 2. take the dipstick out and wipe it before putting it back in to check the level.
  • i30 CRD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I sure did, but even on level ground you should 1. wait a few minutes for the oil to drain down and 2. take the dipstick out and wipe it before putting it back in to check the level.
I think the OP knows that, was just a mistake of checking while the vehicle wasn't level :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal