i30 Wagon in NZ

stkman · 12 · 2979

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Hi All,

I saw an i30 PD wagon in a Hyundai dealer in NZ. Checking the website, it is a 1600 MPI petrol automatic or 1600 diesel DCT. Only available in white or silver. Pitched as a commercial vehicle ... I have already seen one with an electrician's logo and roofracks on the built in roof rails.

Interesting as Australia doesn't appear to get the wagon yet in both countries i30s are supposedly sourced from Korea. Perhaps this one is a Czech built model (the GD wagon was).

:link: i30 Wagon | Hyundai New Zealand

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Andrew. Yes, most likely a Czech built car. Interesting going with a 1.6 naturally aspirated petrol. Be awesome if they decide to do something similar in OZ as I'm sure there would be demand at the right price.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

The previous GD i30 wagon was sourced from the Czech factory ... a friend has one. Has the indicator stalk one the left, takes a bit of getting used to in a RHD car.

Next time I am near the dealer that had one displayed I will have a look. See if the new one is like that.

Andrew

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The previous GD i30 wagon was sourced from the Czech factory ... a friend has one. Has the indicator stalk one the left, takes a bit of getting used to in a RHD car.

Andrew
Ive got the Czech built GD hatch and Dazzlers wife has the same in a wagon and indicator stalk is on the right.

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

Hmmm ... how odd. The GD wagons I have seen here in NZ have indicator stalk on left and have independent rear suspension. The GD hatchbacks have a torsion beam rear suspension. The ones I have looked under anyway.

Andrew

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hmmm ... how odd. The GD wagons I have seen here in NZ have indicator stalk on left and have independent rear suspension. The GD hatchbacks have a torsion beam rear suspension. The ones I have looked under anyway.

Andrew
My GD Hatch being Czech built also has independent rear suspension, only Korean built have the torsion beam.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
HY NZ and HY Aus are two different companies from memory, I dare say having the indicator stalk on the correct side is important for HY AUS but not NZ?

The wagon was not able to come in at the right price for Australia, and since the dollar has dived, I dare say it is less so now.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

It was made clear to me that HY Australia and HY NZ are different companies when I asked a dealer here if they could source an 'Australian' i30 for me. Different companies so no. HY NZ will indent order one from Korea for me or an ever quicker solution (and cheaper) is to fly over, buy a new one and import it privately.

I had a look at the PD wagon today ... yes,  Czech built. And the base 1.6 petrol hatch is also a Czech built model. The others in NZ are Korean. Hyundai NZ has gone a bit cheap on the wagon and 1.6 hatch as they have a left hand indicator stalk while the Korens built models have a right hand indicator stalk. They do have alloy wheels though although they are 15 inch. A rather snug fit around the brake calipers!

Andrew

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was made clear to me that HY Australia and HY NZ are different companies when I asked a dealer here if they could source an 'Australian' i30 for me. Different companies so no. HY NZ will indent order one from Korea for me or an ever quicker solution (and cheaper) is to fly over, buy a new one and import it privately.

I had a look at the PD wagon today ... yes,  Czech built. And the base 1.6 petrol hatch is also a Czech built model. The others in NZ are Korean. Hyundai NZ has gone a bit cheap on the wagon and 1.6 hatch as they have a left hand indicator stalk while the Korens built models have a right hand indicator stalk. They do have alloy wheels though although they are 15 inch. A rather snug fit around the brake calipers!

Andrew
Thanks again Andrew. All interesting stuff. With Aussie dollar weakening at the moment, even less likely we'll get the wagon. Even the Astra wagon (also built in Europe) is way dearer than the Sedan and Hatch over here. $1000 to $1500 extra for a wagon is ok, but not say $5000!

I think Hyundai Australia has fairly high expectations on their list of wants when they import new models. The most powerful engines and the safety tech etc. Which doesn't help the comparative pricing. 

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

Interesting that you mention the Astra Daryl.

NZ has all three Astras ... sedan, hatch and wagon. Sedan from Korea, hatch from Poland and Wagon from England. Only what I have read in an online review. Makes sense though as the hatch and wagon have very similar interiors (dash layout) and the sedan is quite different.

Model designations are different between then but on average, looks like the Euro Astra's are about $3000 NZ more than the Koren model. Saying that there is quite a range in pricing. For the hatch for example, 2018 pricing ranges from $21,490 for the base model up to $39,990 for the VXR. Compared to the i30 Limited (essentially same as Australia SR Premium) which has a retail of $43,990. Although i30 pricing variable as they don't appear to be selling well. Unlike the Kona which is doing very well. The Kona is cheaper than the i30 here across the models.

Sorry to here about the new dents in your car Daryl  :(

Andrew

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Daryl follows our model trends more than I do, so he an fine tune this; there was the GD wagon here that generally had a good rap but sales were down so Hyundai stopped marketing it. They probably have the same reservation regarding the PD wagon.

By mutual arrangement, Australian government and industry keep a tight rein on imports. It has brought more models onto the market, but has killed off a lot of local manufacturing and makes private importation almost impossible.

Mind you, we CAN send our write-offs across the ditch to a much more open market :whistler:

Regarding the LH indicator, an able bodied Kiwi could easily swap the components to RH.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:16:26 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for the sympathy Andrew. Like I said on Facebook "worse things happen at sea, so glad I don't have a boat"  :lol:

Thanks for the Astra info. Multiple build sources makes life interesting!  :crazy1:

I think considering the comparatively high price for the GD Tourer Versus the hatches the wagon sold quite well. Fairly popular Rep vehicle.

Think it was just the exchange rate that killed the import and the fact wagons are not as popular in Australia as they are in Europe.

The market in Australia is also a bit skewed by dealer stock. Wagon not selling as well as discounted hatch so they stop carrying stock of wagon for people to see/test drive then wonder why they are not selling any.

Same thing happens in Tassie with Hybrids. They don't carry stock so can't test drive one. Then they stop stocking them because they don't sell!   

Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.  :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal