i30 Owners Club

power loss

big red · 18 · 7608

Offline big red

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Windsor NSW
Hi everybody, I have a problem with my 1.6cw. at 5000k I had the computer tickled up with great results dyno test showed around 20% power increase.  100kw & 300nm approx. I was wrapped. After a while the turbo started to whistle like a police siren. Just had the 15000k service ,they fitted a new turbo. Of cause I did not tell them about the computer work. It used to go like a rocket now the car tune feels stock standard.Would they reset the computer when fitting the turbo?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Big Red Welcome to the club.. Sounds like they flashed the ECU when they swapped the turbo. Think even just disconnecting the battery for some time will reset it anyway. Sounds like it is better that way after what happened to the first turbo.. :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm with dazz mate,i recon they've reset it back to stock.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The ECU reprogrammers advertising over here say they offer two free options with their flashes.

(1) They will replace it with stock flashware whenever required (eg, for a service)

(2) Reflash if ever the unit is reset to factory flash.

Give your supplier a bell and ask if they have such a customer-friendly service; mention to them that you've recommended several of your friends, see if that helps sway them
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Lucky to get a new turbo under warranty.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
yeh,as they could have done an ecu download and found it had been re programed.  :idea:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The ECU reprogrammers advertising over here say they offer two free options with their flashes.

(1) They will replace it with stock flashware whenever required (eg, for a service)

(2) Reflash if ever the unit is reset to factory flash.

Give your supplier a bell and ask if they have such a customer-friendly service; mention to them that you've recommended several of your friends, see if that helps sway them

And while your there see if Hyundai will give you a discount for buying spare Turbos in bulk quantities... :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
if its broken under warranty, then it should be replaced...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

It will be covered so long as you have not modified the car.

So if they had checked ECU then I would have expected them to refuse the repair.

I would have expected them to run a full diagnostic once the new turbo had been fitted and this may have reset the ECU to latest program.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Not when the engine's been remapped.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
As others said, you should be happy they've replaced it under warranty :) They obviously didn't notice it was tuned (Though it does not show it was tuned right away, after plugging it into their computer. Only the parameters are different I think). So I guess they probably didn't even bother with reading the ECU, they replaced the turbo and flashed the ECU with "new" - stock parameters. So basically the best scenario possible.

But there's something else, that's bugging me.. What kind of remap did they do? I had my car chip tuned (ECU remapped) from stock 90hp to approx 115hp (235Nm -> approx 275Nm) also at around 5,000 kms.

I have about 67,200 km on the clock now (so did more than 60,000 km like that) and it still seems to be okay (knock on wood). I would "understand" if my turbo would brake down at about 100,000 km (though I hope it won't, because I try to handle it carefully), but at 15,000 km.. It must had been something wrong either with the turbo itself or with the ECU remap, you had it done, or maybe using wrong oil.. Of course, there's also a possibility you weren't really careful with the car (high rev's when it's cold, not letting it idle, when hot - after driving hard, etc..).

Before tuning it again, I would advise to check once more with the tuner if he's doing it correctly. In Slovenia there are let's say 100 tuners, 20 of them are "known", from which you can say, only 2 are "reliable" - know what they are really doing.

:wink:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
Not when the engine's been remapped.
i sort of agree... i mean i know where you are coming from! it has been played with...

BUT consider this if i put different tyres on the car, as we all will at some stage have to while the car is under warranty and the (factory) rim cracks/welding fails its my fault for fitting non OEM tyres?

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
The warranty is valid only if you don't mess with the car. So no aftermarket fittings, otherwise you can have problems. It's also written in the service book. That goes especially for the engine.

Most of the services won't give you hard time for fitting aftermarket wheels, lights, tires, sports shocks.. But they could, if let's say they find out, that the reason for suspension problems are I don't know..18" wheels you've installed, or if you've lowered the car, installed the spacings etc. If you want to install those things "by the book", you should order them at your Hyundai dealers and have them install there by "authorized personnel" :) Ok, you could also bring them material and have it installed, but in either case, they should be the ones that "approve" the installation and do the installation. All "unauthorized interference" leads to guarantee issues.

Luckily, the services aren't that strict, but I've seen a case, when a guy lost his warranty (on VW Golf) for fitting Xenon HID kit and burning some electrics - on 1 year old car.. So they can always void the guaranty (or part of the guaranty) if you have any aftermarket stuff installed. Which almost all of us have..or at least a lot of us.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
all valid points accim!!

about the suspention hyundai actually make a factory lowering kit for them... so if you want it lowered by the book! get them to order the springs in!

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
If mine gets any lower i will rip the exhaust off lol, too many speed humps in my area.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
speed bumps = the work of the devil!

the maxima always scrubs when you go over speed bumps faster than a crawl! its horrid, at least its not like my old car... scraping or getting stuck on speed bumps

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
speed bumps = the work of the devil!

the maxima always scrubs when you go over speed bumps faster than a crawl! its horrid, at least its not like my old car... scraping or getting stuck on speed bumps
I can imagine it now Agent your car balancing centrally on a speed hump all wheels off the ground lol :'(

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
hey big red did you find out why your car seemed bog stock after the turbo was replaced?  especially when your ecu had been remaped for performance :idea:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal