i30 Owners Club

Diesel battery problem

spin · 16 · 10005

Offline spin

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Hi, I finally got the i30 diesel automatic today. It had a flat battery when I picked it up but the seller had a battery pack which we connected and it started. I drove home some 30km expecting the battery to charge up but when I got home and switched off, and tried starting again about 1 hour later, the battery appeared flat again. I will leave it on charge all night tonight and see what happens tomorrow morning. The car had been sitting unused for some time so I am expecting to have to replace the battery. The diesel battery looks huge and I am expecting it to be very expensive. As long as I replace it with the same rating it should be ok -right? There is nothing special about the Hyundai diesel battery is there? Anyone in OZ know what I can expect to pay for a replacement battery? Thanks for your help, Spin

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bit of a Bu**er Spin... I am guessing A$120 max (maybe less)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm sure the battery has 2 years warranty.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There's a lot in here.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6143.0.html

Towards the end of page 2 is where the explanation is which may apply to your situation.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline spin

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Thanks everyone. That article is great, thanks surferdude  :). I will see what the charge is like tomorrow morning, if there is any doubt I think I will replace it as it is an unknown quantity really, as the car is a 2008  model and has only done 20000km and I know it had been sitting unused for long periods. Thanks again, Spin  :)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
go for a centuary-yuasa battery! IMHO they are up there!

http://www.centurybatteries.com.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=10700&cid=5461&_batterydivision=&_application=&_producttype=&_productsubtype=&_type=&showresults=false&application=50&producttype=10

they dont actually list a battery for the i30 BUT i bet they have one... it will probably cost aound $150~200

but thats not that bad... considering i just paid $100 for a motorbike battery!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
they dont actually list a battery for the i30 BUT i bet they have one... it will probably cost aound $150~200

but thats not that bad... considering i just paid $100 for a motorbike battery!

You can tell I don't keep my cars long (I've lost touch with battery prices if they are now that much)  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline spin

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Dont worry Dazzler, Im out of touch too :eek:! I had a feeling it would be expensive being calcium and such a big battery. Will check out prices tomorrow and shock everyone then!  :'( :'(  Thanks agentr31 Spin

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i can ask my dad (racq what the price of their batteries are for the i30) dare i say it your miles away so there is litttle point...

Offline spin

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Hey agentr31, thanks for the offer.  :)
I went into Supercheap today and priced a Century battery. None of the catalogues listed the i30, but from what I could tell the Century NS70 would do the job and that was priced on the shelf at $199!  :eek: so it looks like we are talking up around that figure.
as it turns out I may not need a battery yet as I had mine on charge all night, put it in the car this morning and it started fine. It was registering 4 amps to start and this morning the charger was showing a 2 amp charge. I am going to put it on charge again tonight to see if I can get it down further.
The charger I am using is an old one I have had for 20 years or more so it is not the calcium compatible type. Will see how I go tomorrow morning.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
good luck! i think you can do a bit better than the supercheap price mate! tried battery world? or any other battery shops?

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Shame it's a diesel. :wink:
Century lists one for the petrol model and it's well below that sort of figure. :cool:
Sounds like you might be lucky.
An N70Z is pretty well a truck battery so they must need a lot of power.
I must admit I didn't realise there was such a difference between the petrol and diesel models.

Offline spin

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Surferdude, the original battery that is in it, is huge :exclaim:
That NS70 I mentioned: I dont think it is the calcium type like the original, so the correct one is most likely even more expensive  :'( From what I have now read about calcium batteries one of the main benefit is that they take longer to discharge, so if an i30 gets used daily, a non calcium type would probably be fine. What do others think? thanks Spin

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
did you know the calcium type battery's need a special charger,i recently read about it on this site.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline spin

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yeah that post has lots of good info. I could not find in the handbook anything about a special charger being needed, but it did say that if the battery goes flat to leave it on charge for 10 hours. I think the non calcium type charger, if used, cant fully charge the battery, but so far my old charger has charged it enough to get my car going without any problems. Spin

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah that post has lots of good info. I could not find in the handbook anything about a special charger being needed, but it did say that if the battery goes flat to leave it on charge for 10 hours. I think the non calcium type charger, if used, cant fully charge the battery, but so far my old charger has charged it enough to get my car going without any problems. Spin
Yeah. If I understand it properly, the battery will charge up to an useable level, but it just won't top up all the way, which means that you won't have the cca's you need in heavy demand situations and it'll flatten more readily. On the other hand, if the car is used regularly it might go on for years.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal