i30 Owners Club

Should it do that?

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle, United Kingdom
When first starting up my 1.6 diesel auto i get allot of white/grey smoke from the exhaust. Now im putting it down to an extremely cold engine since the outside temp is currently -7 but im not entirely convinced. It didnt do it when i very first got it less than 48 hours ago and now it is? It seems to die down abit after a few minutes idling but it doesnt dissapear all together and it does have a strong odour.

Should i be concerned and calling my dealer?

Pip
Suggests incomplete combustion. Are you using the glow plugs? Need to wait a few seconds until the light goes out to allow it to pre-heat. I imagine this is more important when it's cold outside.

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I am allowing the heater plugs to warm up until the light goes out. I will have a good look tomorrow and update you tomorrow.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There have been a few cases of glowplug fuses blowing. How long did the smoke last? Less than a minute out several minutes?

Also try leaving the ignition on for about twenty second before engaging the starter motor, does it make any difference?

Sent via swype & tapatalk on Android

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are you still on the fuel that came with the car?

If so, run that then down refill with your preferred brand and see how it goes.

Just a thought that the fuel in the car may not be UK speci for colder weather.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
..Just a thought that the fuel in the car may not be UK speci for colder weather.
And what would that be? I mean how would it differ? Just curious.

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Ok so a good look today reveals the smoke is more white than grey, It persists for a few minutes and then seems to die down untill you touch the throttle however a few minutes drive solves this.

My guess is its down to a combination of vapour build up in the exhaust system and the cold. as like i say it goes away.

The fuel could also be an issue so i will update once i have re-filled and let you guys know as it came with a full tank.

Im not worried as the smoke came the same time the serious cold did. I will try the leaving the ignition on for slightly longer.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I have the same problem, which they cannot fix.

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Mine vanishes after a few minutes once the engine warms up etc, everyone i know including my uncle who owns and MOT test centre says its just down to cold and moisture and will ease off as the weather improves

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Mine vanishes after a few minutes once the engine warms up etc, everyone i know including my uncle who owns and MOT test centre says its just down to cold and moisture and will ease off as the weather improves
My car was brand new 02/09/2010 two weeks later I had the problem you are experiencing, dont forgot how warm it was back then, I hope your right, but have a horrible feeling you have the same problem as me & others(kia ceed has same engine) http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-ceed-forum/61223-ceed-sw-eco-blue-smoke-starting.html.

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Mines not even a week old so i really hope not. If so ill be making sure i get it sorted one way or another. But like i say its only on first startup of the day, once its had a run about it doesnt do it till left over night again

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thats how mine started, good luck, but please log it with selling dealer & Hyundai UK customer services, im dealing with a guy called Richard @ Hyundai, who is good.

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Ill be taking it out for a 100 mile plus run on friday. If it does it saturday morning after a good run then ill lodge a complaint with the dealer. Thanks for the tip-off ill keep an eye on it.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Smoke or steam ?? if it disipates quickly its probably steam.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
@ Martin88, you need to log with Hyundai UK, i done the same as you, good long run, but still had the same prolem.
Good luck.

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Reported the issue this morning, dealer is going to call me back to arrange it going through the service center again for a full diagnostic.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Please ask the service centre if they are aware of this problem.

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Problem concluded,

a had a dud heater plug, fixed free of charge and no smoke what-so-ever anymore. Happy result.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Problem concluded,

a had a dud heater plug, fixed free of charge and no smoke what-so-ever anymore. Happy result.

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Not a problem, pleased my poorly i30 is running fine again. Also i have since completely used up the "supplied" diesel and filled locally, dunno if this helped or not but either way the problem is gone, Service department said the plugs dont handle severe cold too well !

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
good result, congrats on having a dealer who know how to use a spanner and meter  :wink:

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Glad problem sorted, mine had to have 4 glow plugs changed.

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
Service department said the plugs dont handle severe cold too well !

...please define "severe cold"  :rolleyes:

We have had below -15°C for 3 weeks now (one or two days up to -6/-7) and my baby still runs smooth  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal