i30 Owners Club

How accurate is the Temp Gauge?

FatBoy · 10 · 5210

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Hi all,

How accurate is the Temp Gauge on the i30 CRDi?  I've noticed that it doesn't move once it gets up to running temp (unlike my old clunker diesel that reflects on how the engine is working, ie. under load temp goes up, idling the temp comes down, albeit slowly).  I only picked the car up a couple of days ago and noticed a "hot plastic smell" when I come to a stop, is this just the cleaning products that the dealer used detailing the vehicle burning off? Or is it something else?

Thanks in advance,

FatBoy

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the temp gauge is fairly accurate on my two petrol i30s.[ i have a scangauge II on my hatch] but i have no idea about the temp gauge on the diesel. the hot plastic smell i think is the exhaust just burning off the oil that would have been on it in its manufacturing process. hope that helps you a bit slim.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The thermostat does a pretty good job of regulating the temp between about 80 and 85 once its up to temp so you won't see the needle move much unless it starts to overheat.

the scangauge is good at showing small variations as it is digital.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On my crdi 1.6 the temp gauge take sometime to reach its "normal" temp.

But after that I've never seen it move even when stuck in traffic when you would expect to see a rise in temp.

If it does make a sudden move up to the red then there will be a problem!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It does take towards twice as long to get to normal operating temperature than my old petrol car.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It does take towards twice as long to get to normal operating temperature than my old petrol car.

Agree.

During the recent cold spell my temp only got to "normal" as I was arriving at work - some 7 miles.

When I had my Accent, petrol, the "normal" was reached at about 2 mile.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hi guys

I have a SG II with my Diesel and have noticed the following re temps.

The needle stops moving when the SG is displaying about 75C.

Standard operating temp is Mid 80's.

Have seen temps on SG get up to mid 90's on hot days, extended hill climbs, bad traffic and during 'spirited' driving, but the needle doesn't show any different to when the SG say 75!

Read into that what you will.........

Regards

Daniel

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
Hi all,

How accurate is the Temp Gauge on the i30 CRDi?  I've noticed that it doesn't move once it gets up to running temp (unlike my old clunker diesel that reflects on how the engine is working, ie. under load temp goes up, idling the temp comes down, albeit slowly).  I only picked the car up a couple of days ago and noticed a "hot plastic smell" when I come to a stop, is this just the cleaning products that the dealer used detailing the vehicle burning off? Or is it something else?

Thanks in advance,

FatBoy

My cw had a smell for a little while seems to have gone now I think it was just the protective coating burning off the exhaust and motor parts..

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I've had the car for over a month now, and love it!!!  The smell has gone, so I am pretty confident that it was just the protective oils burning off.

I think that the Hyundai standard temp might just be where it sits when it gets up to operating temp, then the gauge doesn't move, unless something major goes wrong.  I remember with our old Santa Fe, the gauge even had a mark on the dash where the temp would sit normally.  I think that the only way to accurately tell the temp is with a Scan Gauge.

I'm not too worried about it, as long as it moves when there is a problem.  The human eye will pick up slight changes from "normal" easier than a constantly moving needle (like in my Jackaroo).

FatBoy

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
My temp gauge takes ages to get up to temp but that is due to the fact it is a diesel. And that burning smell is normal on most new cars as it is the plastics and oils settling in....
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal