i30 Owners Club

Oil color?

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
Ok stupid question but dealer was to give my car it's 75000 k service. Looking at the oil is still dark color. Do diesels make oil dark straight away? Or should it he clear like petrol cars for a few thousand kms till becoming darker

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Doesn't sound right to me  :undecided: The oil goes dark quicker in a diesel due to the nature of the "combustion system" for want of a better name but should be clean after a service for atleast a 1000kms or two!

We had a CRDi for 28 months and did 68,000kms..

I would pop back in and ask to speak to the Service Manager :whistler: Show him the dipstick (or show the dipstick the oil...take your pick :lol:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
That dealership is 70km away. Might just take to local for oil change.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
When they drop the old oil out, a small amount still remains, so the leftovers discolour the new oil....   :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When they drop the old oil out, a small amount still remains, so the leftovers discolour the new oil....   :)

Fair call Russ but should only discolour it a bit (not black)  :undecided:

Pip
I'd be careful calling foul on the oil colour alone. It's hard to see the difference after the car has been driven a bit. Probably after a flush you might be able to tell. A flush is not required nor recommended.

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
Yeah Thad why I thought I'd ask, never had a diesel before. Petrol used to discolor after 2000km, my LPG datsun still looks clean every 6 months lol but I still change it.

I can see slight clear on paper but looks dark on the cloth when I sipe dip stick. Drove about 300 since serviced.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
My previous car was a Toyota and on it's final service whilst in my possesion I had it serviced at a toyota dealership.  When I can home I dipped the oil (as ya do) and low and behold, same problem as you Unfamilia dark oil.  I didn't have to drive 70 miles back so I was back there quick stix. I marched in and said, can you explain why the oil in my car is black emmediatly after a service.  The head honcha went out to the car and had a look then came back in, a few seconds later a technician was taking my car round the back to the workshop, the head honcha came back in, got me a coffee and said "we're doing the oil change right now, Sir, and the total service charge will be refunded to your card, please accept our appologies"  RESULT... :happydance:

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
asathorny was your toyota a diesel too?

reading up on it, its not uncommon for deisels to discolour the oil within kms of an oil change.
something to do with sulpher and soot deposits from the fuel.

that soothes me a bit but still not used to it. the oil feels ok on my fingers visocsity wise, like new oil. and reads ok on the dip stick.

will just monitor it and if in doubt in the next 1000kms, will do a change. if they didnt drain it when warm or all of it, then the old oil remaining would discolor it almost immediatelty.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't remember it being THAT dark within a few hundred kilometres of a service  :undecided:

If it is translucent that would be ok but if it is an opaque Black then I still have my doubts...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Check the oil filter and see if it has been replaced
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Unfamilia...

No it was a petrol, however, I have had diesel vehicles and I have to agree with the others here whom say that getting very dark just on the drive home seems rather odd.  It's a pitty you didn't dip it before you left the dealership <sigh>

Good luck with it.

Asa

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
When  my crdi had its 15,000k service they only used 5 litres of oil. (I supplied 6)

Seeing as the sump holds 5.3, that means there was approx .3 of a litre of black oil left to discolour the new oil, more than enough, especially after 300k (in familia's case) to dirty the new oil up, IMO.... :undecided:

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
heres a dodge phone pic of the oil color. on the paper you can make out golden hues of the newer oil.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just a thought is the sticker changed? Don't think they would do that and not bother changing the oil... :undecided:

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
Yeah but not from the dealership, from the place across rd from dealership, and dealer stamped.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah but not from the dealership, from the place across rd from dealership, and dealer stamped.

I reckon you are pretty safe then  :goodjob:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
Yeah, diesels will discolour the oil very quickly,   if its been there too long it will be the blackest black you will ever see! darker than ink! but also, some diesel oils will be very dark brown colour to start with, depends on the brand i guess.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal