i30 Owners Club

i30CW CRDi Timing Chain noises?

tw2005 · 52 · 22852

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My mileage is 90k currently.

I bought the car on 83k "one owner" but turned out to be lease car so not really driven by a caring owner (dodgy trader, but took him to court......as there were numerous issues with the car which he refused to fix or refund the value of the car).

Most of my noise and problems were injector related, but I still have a slight chain noise (not like the fords) so I got the kit anyway. Had it best part of 4-5months now and just havent found time to do it / be without transport.

I work for a uk parts supplier, we supply FAI chain kits across all brands, so it was no brainer to get that kit and at my discounted rate.

This will be probably one of these blond moments but 90K = 90 000 miles = 145000 km approx?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yes 145k km approx

Well that's good to know because mine is an ex lease too and had 168000K KM when I got it. Not in a great way but not dead either.

Trans is excellent for auto, no service history, but it's getting there slowly back to how it should be.

Will you be starting a specific thread on the work you do or adding it here? I'm really keen for you to post up lots of images etc on your issue>

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I can do but i have no specific plans to do it at the minute. Yeah theres a slight chain noise....doesnt sound faulty or broken but just worn with mileage. The ford engines over here sound terrible when the chain is worn and its nothing like that.

The car just passed its annual mot test and emissions were spot on but i still think the fuel miles per gallon is poor.

Same, compared to my Hatch it seems poor.

Also I notice if I just raise it above idle it's not linear or smooth but feels like the motor has a momentary imbalance.

Sounds weird but having another to compare too it's definitely different.

I wonder if the chain is stretched enough to cause valve timing issues? Poerformance wise it feels fine.

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
The chain kit is

FAI Autoparts - TCK79

You can also get it without the gear sprockets TCK79WO

PS. The service manager at my local dealer said they have never done a chain on an i30. However, his mechanic who helped diagnose the injector issues I had, he said they had done a 'couple' since the model came out in UK.

If you install FAI timing chain kit i can guarantee you that it couldn't last one year of normal driving before it snaps or "stretch" as they made their kits of worst quality materials. Maybe 15.000km if you have luck.
It's a big job to do and why doing it twice?

OEM 1.6 crdi kit is made from different manufacturers.

Sprockets and tensioners are made by INA.
Guide rails and chains is made by korean manufacturer KWM.

The sound you hear is probably normal and can be heard at all likely 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 CRDi engines.

• 1.6crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The chain kit is

FAI Autoparts - TCK79

You can also get it without the gear sprockets TCK79WO

PS. The service manager at my local dealer said they have never done a chain on an i30. However, his mechanic who helped diagnose the injector issues I had, he said they had done a 'couple' since the model came out in UK.

If you install FAI timing chain kit i can guarantee you that it couldn't last one year of normal driving before it snaps or "stretch" as they made their kits of worst quality materials. Maybe 15.000km if you have luck.

The sound you hear is probably normal and can be heard at all likely 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 CRDi engines.

Have you used these kits before?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Tw and Jordy

The 'average mileage' a car does in Australia is 15,000-20,000km per year. The first i30s appeared almost 10 years ago.
 The maths say we should have plenty of chain problems; however, it seems most of them remain trouble free.
I've not come across a rattly chain yet, although Tim may have .

The common factor with both your cars appears to be poor maintenance.
Just a punt, :wacko: upon investigation you may find worn chain guides and tensioner rather than a stretched chain.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Hi Diesel1984,
I assume from ("likely 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 CRDi engines") that you are in Europe/Britain.
Are you a parts supplier or mechanic?
I ask this because , like me, you do not seem to have come across problem i30 chains.

I also take on face value, your comments about the FAI chain. Thanks.
Having had a brief but unfortunate association with Nissan Navaras I appreciate the issue of substandard after market timing chains. Mind you the Navara engine was substandard junk when Renault  :spitty: created the thing.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear

Hi Diesel1984,
I assume from ("likely 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 CRDi engines") that you are in Europe/Britain.

Hi.
All hyundai/kia engines 1.1-1.7 crdi have the same timing system. Same timing chain kit also can be installed at 1.1 and 1.7 engine.

right.

I never seen any crdi engine that needs chain change or snapped/stretched chain.
Also all 1.6 crdi engines have that sliding metal sound that is coming from timing chain area.
This sound is timing chain that is rolling on timing chain cover-bolt housing.

This picture is when new chain/tensioner is installed.. Found this on internet this is not mine...

• 1.6crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Hi Diesel1984,

Hi.
All hyundai/kia engines 1.1-1.7 crdi have the same timing system. Same timing chain kit also can be installed at 1.1 and 1.7 engine.

right.

I never seen any crdi engine that needs chain change or snapped/stretched chain.
Also all 1.6 crdi engines have that sliding metal sound that is coming from timing chain area.
This sound is timing chain that is rolling on timing chain cover-bolt housing.

This picture is when new chain/tensioner is installed.. Found this on internet this is not mine...

Ok, I partially understand but still confused . Thanks for the images, certainly makes understanding what potentially happens with a stretch.

So you said "I never seen any crdi engine that needs chain change or snapped/stretched chain"

But you presented an image with the chain stretched and the tensioner fully extended?

Or is the comment not my image apply to that as well?

"Also all 1.6 crdi engines have that sliding metal sound that is coming from timing chain area.
This sound is timing chain that is rolling on timing chain cover-bolt housing. "

But you have an image of a new kit and the chain is nowhere near that bolt hole?

What am I not getting here?

Obviously there's noises and NOISES.

I know for sure my Wagon is not normal .

I will find out eventually so I will put up images when I get there.

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
OK.

This is the sound when the chain is completely stretched. Probably very long oil service, clogged oil lines. :mrgreen:
:link: Kia Rio CRDI Engine Noise (HELP) - YouTube

This is normal sound of sliding timing chain (43. sec)
:link: Engine sound CRDi 1,5VGT 110hp, 235 torque, 2007ear. - YouTube

I seen 1.6 crdi with 30.000km and 1.6 crdi with 315.000km+. Both have this sliding chain noise and they have it for a long time, and for a long time this noise is not changing to higher sounds like chain rattling from first video.

CRDI timing system is "noise free" few thousand km from when is brand new.
After some time this "noise" can be heard and "noise" is sliding of timing chain on chain cover.
light scraping chain on alluminium housing is not dangerous as it acts like guide and does not cause cracking or stretching chain.

Not sure what happened with this engine on pics.. As i said found them on googlee
  • 1.6crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
OK.

This is the sound when the chain is completely stretched. Probably very long oil service, clogged oil lines. :mrgreen:
:link: Kia Rio CRDI Engine Noise (HELP) - YouTube

This is normal sound of sliding timing chain (43. sec)
:link: Engine sound CRDi 1,5VGT 110hp, 235 torque, 2007ear. - YouTube

I seen 1.6 crdi with 30.000km and 1.6 crdi with 315.000km+. Both have this sliding chain noise and they have it for a long time, and for a long time this noise is not changing to higher sounds like chain rattling from first video.

CRDI timing system is "noise free" few thousand km from when is brand new.
After some time this "noise" can be heard and "noise" is sliding of timing chain on chain cover.
light scraping chain on alluminium housing is not dangerous as it acts like guide and does not cause cracking or stretching chain.

Not sure what happened with this engine on pics.. As i said found them on googlee

Well the last is what my 195000k sounds like. The first one sounds like the chain hard up against metal as you said.

I may have to attempt my own recording from cold. Not sure if it will be discenable or not but does not fit with either of those.

maybe I have defective tensioners but chain is not stretched out like your images?

Can anything worthwhile be seen from that access cover near the top?

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
If you remove injectors and rocker cover.. maybe you can see small part of system

• 1.6crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If you remove injectors and rocker cover.. maybe you can see small part of system
I'll wait until the engine is out. Did a quick video but rediculous size, trying to work out how to you tube it. 140Mb!

Probably does sound more like first video but I'll do another in the morning as there's a few extra special noises it can make

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok, here it is in the raw, part 1

:link: Hyundai i30CW D4FB chain noise - YouTube
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 14:05:04 by tw2005 »

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
Sounds perfectly normal to me, no sliding or rattling.  Hard to tell if any noise coming from chain area

Looks like you have too long serpentine belt.  Too much slack on belt is causing tensioner to bounce like this.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Sounds perfectly normal to me, no sliding or rattling.  Hard to tell if any noise coming from chain area

Looks like you have too long serpentine belt.  Too much slack on belt is causing tensioner to bounce like this.

I was afraid you'd say that. It's not easy to pick noises with all the clatter but I can hear a  rythmic clunk, clunk ..............clunk,clunk...............clunk,clunk in the background. Only just,  but that's because I'm listening for it.

The belt is new and the correct length at 1811 which is what the OEM fitted to this is. The problem existed with the old belt which was genuine and with the new . I even fitted the old belt to my hatch and does not tremor plus on the hatch I believe I had a belt which probably was a bit long (new)and it had no tremor.  It's not the belt.

You should have seen it with the seized over run pulley. It was hammering that's how violent it was. SO much so that I thought the tensioner was stuffed which it was not. Always smarter after the fact  but would preferred not to spend $$ to figure that one out.

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
Well there are 4 sizes of aux belt on d4fb. 1800,1805,1810 and 1815. Lenght of the belt deppends on tensioner puĺley size. Oem size is of that pulley is fi65 on mine.

M n was also doing the same thing with 1815 belt. After changing it with conti 1800 bouncing of tensioner arm stabilised to almost none. Car was vibration free after putting the right belt also. And yes oem belt was 1801 without upper idler roller.

• 1.6crdi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for your Images etc Diesel.
To repeat myself, I haven't  come across a Hyundai with the extreme noise of the first image. You have a similar theory too regarding poor servicing.
The regular Australian service may be a clue.
Not sure about the terms of sale of new Hyundai's in Europe, but here they come with a 5 year warranty, Kia's have 7 years. To maintain the warranty the owner has to have regular services logged for the 5-7 years.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 21:40:19 by nzenigma »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
It's not the belt.
You should have seen it with the seized over run pulley. It was hammering that's how violent it was. SO much so that I thought the tensioner was stuffed which it was not. Always smarter after the fact  but would preferred not to spend $$ to figure that one out.

It looks like the tensioner is a bit oval or (more likely) the bolt is bent.
Easy way to test,..... swaps.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Well there are 4 sizes of aux belt on d4fb. 1800,1805,1810 and 1815. Lenght of the belt deppends on tensioner puĺley size. Oem size is of that pulley is fi65 on mine.

M n was also doing the same thing with 1815 belt. After changing it with conti 1800 bouncing of tensioner arm stabilised to almost none. Car was vibration free after putting the right belt also. And yes oem belt was 1801 without upper idler roller.

OEM for mine is 5pk1811 or 252122A310

Belt is new,both idlers are new, nothing felt abnormal on the water pump or the A/C clutch pulley,  tensioner new genuine, I've already played swapsies. The over run clutch is new but not genuine.

I even put a slightly larger diameter pulley on the tensioner which is similar to using a shorter belt, same same.

One thing I noticed with this other motor I've pulled, the OEM clutch pulley seems to have less resistance in the  released direction .

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
The vibration of the pulley looks really strange. I've never seen anything like that in my car. I sort of heard some low clunks, but I need to listen that again with good headphones, my phone speaker sucks big time.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
You can eliminate the clunking sound if you fire the engine without the belt installed. Of course not for a long time.

If the sound is still present then you know that it is not up to the alternator, belt, ac compressor, idler roller, alt pulley, water pump.

smal possibility.. it can be the crank pulley that is disintegrated from the rubber part
  • 1.6crdi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal