i30 Owners Club

How much will it really hold ?

Mal · 8 · 2849

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woodvale, Western Australia
Hi folks

Just a quick question I'm hoping someone knows the correct answer too.
How much fuel does a 2011 2 litre i30 petrol tank really hold if you 'brim it' ?
I think the book says 53 litres but is that to the top of the pipe ? I don't think so. 
As many would know its a 'slow filler' as the air cant come out quick enough as the fuel goes in, but if you have the time its surprising how much more you can get in. Thats reflected in extra range of course and is very hady at times.   
Whats really left in the tank when the refuel light comes on too would be interesting to know as well ?

Any thoughts ? 

Mal     
  • 2011 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Mal,

Many diesel owners brim their tanks and some have squeezed around 60 litres in. Because unleaded expands a lot more than diesel it is not really a good idea to brim an unleaded car, unless you are at the beginning of a journey of say 100kms or more.

If you brim your car and then leave it parked in the hot sun it can start to over flow on to the street. Obviously this is a fire and pollution hazard and can result in Fire department charges if they have to attend the spill. I've seen it happen (but not to me fortunately)

In the Diesel you can get  up to 130 kms or more once the light goes on which equates to around 8 litres (I suspect the Petrol would be similar -with a range of close to 100kms)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My FD diesel tank was officially 53 litres but I regularly put in excess of 60 litres by brimming it, up to (from memory) 61 or 62 litres.
My GD tank is apparently 50 litres and there is nowhere near the same excess volume on it as there was on the FD.
53+ is the most I've put in in the 107,000 kms it's done.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I recently put 58 litres in, after I got 100km with the petrol light on, in a 2.0l fd petrol 2010.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Many diesel owners brim their tanks and some have squeezed around 60 litres in. Because unleaded expands a lot more than diesel it is not really a good idea to brim an unleaded car, unless you are at the beginning of a journey of say 100kms or more.

The rate of expansion of fuel is minute.  I seem to recall 100cc in 5000 litres for diesel (= 1cc in 50 litres) when raised from 0°C to 40°C .

The tank will also expand.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

The rate of expansion of fuel is minute.  I seem to recall 100cc in 5000 litres for diesel (= 1cc in 50 litres) when raised from 0°C to 40°C .

I was referring to unleaded (I have seen these overflow if brimmed) especially if then parked on a hill or sloping road!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woodvale, Western Australia
Hi folks

many thanks for the replies.

Many moons ago I decided to see how much fuel was left in the tank of a 4 cylinder Camry wagon after the needle went to zero. No light on that one.
I went a surprisingly long way and didn't run out as I 'chickened out' when I thought it was far enough !
From that moment on the motor ran inconsistently badly, back fired, wouldn't tick over and then run perfectly again for weeks. I went almost crazy trying to fix that probelm. The first thought was it had sucked up some muck from the bottom of the tank creating an intermittent blockage somewhere. After a year of frustration and doing everything that seemed logical the fault simply disappeared one day thank God.  :eek:
I vowed never to do that again !

Back to the plot.

I know diesel's have fantastic economy but I have a petrol model and because of the above history I wont go too low on fuel so it leaves me wondering ?
Im getting around 600 klms on a tank of 91 octane before the light comes on, while on long trips, (when I fill right up, but not right to top of the filler - just close).
That reduces to around 550 klms general driving. 

I'll have a chat to the Hyundai service / parts people and see what they say.

If I find out I'll post it here - maybe others may find it interesting too?

Many thanks again for your interest  :)

• 2011 i30

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I was referring to unleaded (I have seen these overflow if brimmed) especially if then parked on a hill or sloping road!  :cool:

The rate of expansion of petrol is 0.00095/°C  and diesel is 0.00082/°C.  It appears that vehicle tanks especially plastic also expand.  However, a vehicle tank already at ambient temperature will contract when filled with colder fuel from underground storage tanks.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal