i30 Owners Club

1.8 petrol auto economy update

Lakes · 2 · 1854

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hello all, well sold my fathers elantra 1.8 auto ( he got new 2015 i30 petrol auto as i reported )
the new owner lives down the coast scared of Sydney so asked me to deliver. my father said it only had a 4 speed auto , but i put thee auto shift to the left and the number 6 showed so must be 6 speed auto like the i30.
anyway she has 9,500k up showed a average of 10.4L/100k never been re set all k's in city only.
i filled the tank & at 4.30am i headed from north Epping i had re set the L/100k when i refilled tank, the L/100K went up high at first this is normal for any car i've found . so just ignored that and waited for it to settle down ( after it had its fill )  was showing 7.4L/100k by the time i hit Barden Ridge & was down to 6.1L/100k when i reached Nowra i was driving smooth, the 1.8 Petrol has no torque so if i used cruise control and it saw a tinny little rise in road the auto would shift the rev would be at 2,000 & tinny hill & rev jumps to 3,200 as no torque at 2,000 but auto masks the fact. but the cruise contra shows up a gutless motor  good power but power does nothing you really notice. also on down hill with Cruise Control it would shift down to raise the engine rev to 4,000 to try to get engine braking to keep speed where you set it. that also shows it needs 4,000 to get any good torque as high torque shows up in stronger engine braking when back off on throttle . so i worked out can't use cruise control to get good economy. best i saw was 6.1/100k on trip computer this is average not as happens. when i got 350k down coast was showing 6.3L/100k my diesel i30s going that easy would show from 4.5 to low 4.0 but did that trip a lot & driving much faster the diesel did 4.5 but the petrol fine just needs to be pushed more & not nearly as good as diesel using cruise control. as that was a very hilly twisty trip and temps were cold.
fuel was 91 unload used 25L to fill after 350k so work that out, i did that trip all the time i'd fill diesel tank go down drive around for a few days drive back to sydney then commute for a week still on same tank then monday the week after fill up after traveling 1,100k or more did it every time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
7.142 LPH by my calculations John.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal