i30 Owners Club

Windscreen washer fluid reservoir - CAPACITY

TerryT · 11 · 8563

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi,

I have a 2017 i30 PD Hatch SR 1.8T. Car is only 6 weeks old, so still learning how to fully enjoy it :)

Can anyone advise the capacity of the windscreen washer fluid reservoir.  I would like to know so I can accurately measure how much washer additive to mix in my 2L refill bottle.

Couldn't find any relevant info in my Owners Manual nor my google searches (other than a mention of "1 gallon" for an unspecified Hyundai).

I'm guessing most of the latest i30 variants will be the same?

Any info would be appreciated.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My FD is greater than 2Lt and I think could be as much as 3 lt

Won't you work this out when it empties and you refill it?

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I think my FD usually takes around 5 - 6 litres when near empty. It lasts me about a year with the amount of driving I do lately :lol:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Wow, that's bigger than I thought.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I just mix mine up as per the dilution rate in a bottle and add it like that.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I just mix mine up as per the dilution rate in a bottle and add it like that.
Yes, that's correct and what I do, mix up 2lt lots.  Once full you stop pouring and save the remainder for next time. :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have a very technical way of working it out.... I use mine a lot so I usually add about 2 litres of water every 3 weeks or so and a squirt of additive (which I calculate to be about half of what I'd put in for a full tank of water). I thought it was about 4 or 5 litres (6-8 seems excessive!) Who am I to know we've only had 4 different versions of i30.  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Thank you all for your replies, appreciated.

I'll forget about i30 reservoir capacity and just rely on mixing washer additive with water in a 2L container in the recommended dosage (e.g 60mls per 2L), and use that to top up the car's reservoir as needed.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I'll forget about i30 reservoir capacity and just rely on mixing washer additive with water in a 2L container in the recommended dosage (e.g 60mls per 2L), and use that to top up the car's reservoir as needed.

Actually it has been a good lesson for all of us. I suspect that my method has probably made my solution too strong. I find most solutions don't do much bug removal anyway! I think I'll just use water next time.

It's a bit embarrassing that someone like me who has been involved with the site for almost exactly 10 years since it started doesn't have a definitive answer to that question. I'm guessing the capacity of the washer bottle would be very similar in all three series of i30 and I would very much expect it to be around 5 litres but would be nice to know for sure.

I've had some cars with separate bottles and motors for front and rear washers but the i30 has always just had the one bigger unit.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Actually it has been a good lesson for all of us. I suspect that my method has probably made my solution too strong. I find most solutions don't do much bug removal anyway! I think I'll just use water next time.

It's a bit embarrassing that someone like me who has been involved with the site for almost exactly 10 years since it started doesn't have a definitive answer to that question. I'm guessing the capacity of the washer bottle would be very similar in all three series of i30 and I would very much expect it to be around 5 litres but would be nice to know for sure.

I've had some cars with separate bottles and motors for front and rear washers but the i30 has always just had the one bigger unit.  :cool:
that is what I was doing  but like you say guessing was leading to it being too strong.  I use trico in large 5litre bottle @ 50ml /l.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal