i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 wins Australia’s best mid-sized car under $28,000!

Offline victoryi30

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
We all knew that it was the best mid-sized car in Australia, but now it looks as though the motoring clubs now agree with us. The petrol SX picked up the top gong in Australia's Best Car Awards, mainly due to its cheaper purchase price compared to the diesel (which came second). It blitzed the field beating the Civic by almost 50 points.

Great news for Hyundai and truly well deserved!

http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au/2008/mid_under.htm

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
That is a fantastic result :biggrin: :biggrin:
That will help Hyundai sell more of these little beauties.

Pip
And it came a very close second last year to Honda Civic.  Didn't even get a mention in drive recently though :exclaim:
http://www.drive.com.au/Drive-Car-Of-The-Year-2008

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Good result. When did the engine get an uplift to 2.5 ltr?  :biggrin:

Wonder why they didn't review the SLX. Still under $28,000 and 5-star ANCAP...
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good result. When did the engine get an uplift to 2.5 ltr?  :biggrin:

Wonder why they didn't review the SLX. Still under $28,000 and 5-star ANCAP...

Yeah, I saw that too  :eek: Pretty bad blunder... :rolleyes:

It's all a bit weird.. They put our Tiida in small cars (it's at least as big as the i30) and caned its fuel economy (which is excellent) and its value for money (they are cheap for what you get...) :twisted:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
My guess is that they put the sx up as being cheaper, it would score higher for price and for running costs as they factor in repayments. This would mean it would probable score higher in two areas rather than just one (Safety) if they had put the SLX up for the award. Just a thought.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

more and more I suspect whether there is a lack of bias in these "competitions". The judges obviously have their favourites, when you see certain comments about certain aspects of the cars - eg on the Drive review:

"It’s not perfect, though. Stability control and curtain airbags, which protect the head in a side-on crash, are still an option, while the Mazda gets a four-star crash rating, compared with five stars for the Ford and Peugeot.

On the road, the cabin is not the quietest, but the Mazda makes up for that with an impressive balance between comfort and sporty handling. The engine is strong, if a little thirsty, while the cabin refuses to date."

I'm pretty sure the i30 scores better on all these matrices? Good economy, quiet cabin, good comfort, good foot space in the back, sporty handling with ESP, same Ancap on the SX, improved on SLX... These comps look more like paid advertising. "We give you a free car to run into the ground, give us a review in your competition" type thing.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal