Concept 4x4s from far east that show plenty of promise and a stop/start i30

eye30 · 10 · 2985

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This article is in today's Daily Mirror.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/cars-motorbikes/2009/02/concept-4x4s-from-far-east-tha.html

Within the article there is a reference to the i30 which states:

The Korean firm is also about to launch ...... a stop/start version (it cuts out whenever you stop in traffic to save fuel, and restarts automatically) of the i30 hatchback, that’s called the i30 Blue.

Has anyone else heard of this fuel saving technique?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's now standard fit on BMW's EfficientDynamics range.

Good idea in my mind
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hmmmm

Perhaps they have added that to the "blue" since I first read about it, there is reference to that model being produced at the back of the brochure my dealer gave me when I bought my one and all it said was that it was a tuned CRDi to reduce emissions even further and brought the car into the £35 per annum VED bracket.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
From my brochure

"The Hyundai i30 Blue-i is a car designed for those drivers who have made a conscious decision to choose the benefits of economy and low emissions.

The i30 Blue-i's new 1.6 CRDi engine has been heavily refined to deliver just 119g/km CO2, without compromising on the high levels of comfort, safety and security that make this car stand out in its class.  With annual road fund licence at just £35 (VED Band B), you will not only realise this saving, but from October 2008, you will also avoid the congestion charge when driving in London.

When you see the blue 'i' on the CRDi badge beneath the side indicator, you'll realise where the i30 Blue-i gets its name from.  Available in the Style trim level, it possesses the same high specification as its regular diesel conuterpart, but without any compromise on comfort or safety. and with the added benefit of being kinder the the environment thanks to its reduced emissions.  The i30 Blue-i will add a little colour to your life and enable you to make your own personal statement at a time when the environment matters more to us than ever.

On sale at your local Hyundai dealership from late summer 2008, the i30 Blue-i is a car that's been created for a reason and one that's truly fit for purpose.  Please speak to your dealer for further details."

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Looks like it, but it's lost the "blue" tag

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
The Diesel Mini about to be released in Oz is going to have this stop start functionality, and with 3.9l/100km off a similar 1.6 turbo (to the i30) it's very tempting for those that don't need much space.

It sounds like an interesting concept, but I'm not to sure how the long term effects might be on a turbo diesel........especially if the turbo had been working hard.......

Regards

Daniel

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I'd be really interested in a diesel that produced less pollution (NOx and particulates) - no manufacturer's passenger diesel scores better than average for this in Oz. I'd hoped that the introduction of 10ppm sulphur in diesel at the beginning of this year would have helped but nothing's changed yet.

The Green Vehicle Guide people told me that a number of European manufacturers have vehicles they want to bring in now the fuel has been cleaned up - nice if Hyundai would join them.

Don't know much about this stuff, maybe there's a technical reason it can't be done at present - anybody have any ideas?

p.s Anybody know why Minis are so b****y expensive? (other than the fact they're cute).
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
p.s Anybody know why Minis are so b****y expensive? (other than the fact they're cute).

Just like Ipod and all the other BS under the sun, you pay for the brand name.

My missus would like a mini, I told her 'You pay 25-30k for the car (which gets you an i30) and then you pay 10k for the badge...........  :lol: :lol: :lol:

But this diesel mini doesn't seem to bad.......

Regards

Daniel

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Yeah, my partner thinks they're great too but $35k for the base model...!

We've got a couple of bushwalking friends who won a red Cooper (not an S) - they think it's fantastic. I'm not sure I could get in one these days.

I'm sure these small city cars are good but not for someone of my height. I sat in a Fiat Punto a couple of weeks ago - had to be helped out.  :lol:
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal