i30 Owners Club

Boot space in the PD i30 (for an extended trip)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Because we like our road trips and I like to take everything including the kitchen sink, boot space has always been a reasonably major car selection consideration for us. I kind of made a minimum of 400 litres as our bottom line. The SR has 395 Litres (close enough)  :sweating:

Anyway, in consideration of a longer trip later in the year, we did a trial this weekend with what we would need on a longer holiday. When we had bigger 500 litre boots in the past we used to include an esky (cooler) in our baggage but by substituting a supermarket cooler bag (as below) with freezer blocks, we managed to take a large suitcase, a medium suit case, a small suit case and a soft bag (+ the cooler bag) without folding the seats or removing the parcel shelf.  :victory: I should have taken a photo!   :head_butt:

I found if I put the cooler bag in first with the medium case  next to it (against the back of the seat) i could then put a bigger case behind it and still fit the small case on its end in the remaining space, with a soft bag on top of the cooler bag. I even managed to fit some groceries and some new shoes in the alcoves on either side later in our trip.! Snug, but impressive!

As mentioned elsewhere, we did about 800 kilometres of mixed driving and I didn't miss our previous larger luxury sedan at all.  :victory:

Most of the small/medium SUV's we looked at wouldn't have fitted all that. I don't like driving around with the back seats folded down. It usually adds to the noise levels and things are more likely to move around and rattle. Plus stuff is exposed to prying eyes!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Great to see you're still very happy with the i30

The partner and I have ruled out the Elantra and are now going to stick to the i30 SR Premium. The i30 just has far more features on top of the Elantra.

Good to know about boot space, since we would also like to take ours on some interstate trips

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, no regrets at all so far. Range on the 50 litre tank is a bit less than the Calais. About 680kms versus up to 800kms but still ahead on fuel bills.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just 1 question

Do you use all the stuff you take?

Oh thought of a 2nd question
What is the ratio of yours and hers?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just 1 question

Do you use all the stuff you take?

Oh thought of a 2nd question
What is the ratio of yours and hers?
Yes, most of it. The Big case and little case are mine and Trish has the medium case and soft bag, so nearly 2/3 mine! My clothes are are a lot bigger and bulkier than hers. For example her shoes are size 5, I take a 10 now. I like to take a good mix of stuff to cover all sorts of weather conditions.  My bathroom bag is like a medicine cabinet too...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Looks like your next vehicle should be an i800.....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal