i30 Owners Club

Chip tuning 1.6 crdi 90hp

Edvard · 34 · 13999

Offline Edvard

• 1st Gear
Is anyone here has made chip tuning on 1.6 crdi 90hp?

Offline Edvard

• 1st Gear

Offline i30joe

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Jarrow
I have a 1.6 crdi FD how would I find out the power and the torque?

As in the tuning sites have different values for the same cars?
  • 2011 i30 crdi comfort

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You would have to put it on a dyno to get the before and after results, I would imagine.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid:
An FD won't exhibit the same performance it had out of the factory, so dyno is the only decent way to do it. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
A bit late for a reply however, I went through the dilemma whether to put money into a performance chip whether it be for performance improvement or fuel economy. I have a 2012 FD diesel 6speed manual and a 2014 GD diesel auto.

My son drives the FD and he is not really savvy when it comes to cars but absolutely swears by the chip I installed in his car. Better economy ...upto 0.5 l/ 100km around town and upto 1l/100km on the open road. He is fanatic about figures and has done logging of data for 90,000 kms. A definite increase in the power/torque ...possibly upto about 15-20%. Also when turning corners we noticed that the need to change down a gear is not necessary. This engine is the 1.6l 85kw.   When in traffic the consumption on average is between 4.9 to 5.9 l/100km depending on load and traffic. However when on the open road we have recorded between 3.8 to 4.5 l/100km. The figures were arrived at by instrument cluster display as well as actual fuel at the bowser/km travelled. My son's friends drive Mazda 323 and have always given him a bit of a ribbing for driving a sluggish diesel until they drove it.....say. No more!

OK now for the wife's car, 2014 GD 1.6lt 94kw auto. I am not allowed to touch my wife's car unless it is to wash it, refuel it ( she had to put fuel in after 20 months by herself and telephoned me for instructions) or for servicing. The car was standard for two months and the wife thought it was quite zippy compared to the 1.7lt Merc A class she was used to. I covertly installed the chip and the very next day came..."..what have YOU done to my car? I like it" Yes the lead foot was in action and for an auto on a 1.6lt engine it certainly showed remarkable improvement. Naturally when I drive the beast , it gets better economy , the auto I believe has a higher consumption in traffic between 6.4 and 7.5 lt/100km, on the open road it is between 4.5 and 5.6 lt/100km. A note here, like most cars with auto, the use of cruise control does use a little more fuel.

Both cars are fitted with the Racechip Pro 2 and use the same connecting cable. The boxes are the same and are interchangeable and it appears to be same performance however when changing between engine types, the software does need to be updated as well as the cable needs to purchased to match the engine connections.

Was it worth it? If doing a lot of travelling , certainly for both of the cars and while my i30's are used in different ways, the chip does play a big part in consumption and performance. Fortunately I purchased the chips when the exchange rate was extremely favourable which made it easier to justify the purchase.

Hampster1958
  • 2012 FD i30 SLX 1.6 lt CRDi,2012 FD i30 SLX 2.0 SLX,2014 GD I30 Premium CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent post hamster! Thanks for that, very interesting :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A few members here already have the Race chips I believe.
Race Chip Ultimate would have been the version I would have installed, screw the price :D the new versions can also be modified via a smartphone app for economy and performance.

They also now have chips for the GDI 1.6ltr turbo :link: Chiptuning for Hyundai i30 1.6 GDI Turbo ? RaceChip Chiptuning

Offline hneel

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Dinteloord
On my previous car, a Golf 4 TDI, I had tuned the engine myself. I learned to do it on webforums (especially :link: ecuconnections engine tuning social network). When it was done I was very pleased with the result. Especially when already driving around 100 km/h, the car could accelerate very quickly.

I'm intended to tune my i30 too. As far as I learned by now, the ECU is a little bit more difficult than the one on the Golf. I'll let you know about the progress.
  • i30 1.6 crdi 2009

Offline Edvard

• 1st Gear
So you think that race chip is the best thing for my Hyundai i30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So you think that race chip is the best thing for my Hyundai i30?
Only you can decide what is best for your own vehicle :) Race Chip are the leaders in their field though :goodjob2:

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Do these work as advertised? What are the downsides?
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do these work as advertised? What are the downsides?
I've not heard of any bad reports about them, up to 1ltr per 100km fuel savings and more power :goodjob2:

Downside would be forgetting to take it off before Hyundai service/warranty work is done :wink:

Offline Edvard

• 1st Gear
Do you know what is a difference between race chip one and race chip two?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Read reply 9 :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Read reply 9 :)
?
If you read reply 9 it describes the differences between the different models of the Race Chip in the picture.

:link: Chip tuning 1.6 crdi 90hp

Offline Edvard

• 1st Gear
I am planning to buy race chip one, what do you think is that smart choice?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It all depends on what power level you want and are willing to pay for, Race Chip 1 doesn't include engine protection warranty but can be added.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

:mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

:mrgreen:

:lol:
 :undecided:
2 - 1 is 1.
You're right!   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Edvard

• 1st Gear
Marbles conclusion
This weekend I have installed race chip one on my Hyundai i30.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Edvard

• 1st Gear
So far so good
I made only 25km.

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have been running the Racechip Pro 2 in my FD CRDI wagon for almost a year now with no issues and a noticeable increase in power. There are 2 dials you can adjust , one for the amount of power increase and the other for the rev range it applies to. I found by experimentation that you can go to the highest setting for power but one less for the rev range on my car , may be different for yours , you can tell when you have adjusted to far as it will not rev past 3000rpm , so i just backed of one click and it works fine and it's been at this setting ever since . I can't say i noticed any difference to fuel economy as i get the same amount of km's to a tank as before. Highly recommended , one of the best mods i have done. :)
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline Freak187

• 1st Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Amsterdam
What about the wear on the clutch? The extra power will be transferred by the gears and the clutch, so are they capable of handeling the extra power? If you have to replace your friction plate after 2 years, it would make no sense to save on fuel......
  • Sep 2013 i30 CRDi Business Edition

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What about the wear on the clutch? The extra power will be transferred by the gears and the clutch, so are they capable of handeling the extra power? If you have to replace your friction plate after 2 years, it would make no sense to save on fuel......
The minimal power increases shouldn't be an issue on the box or clutch as long as you stick to normal gear changes, if you start doing things like dropping the clutch and race changes then you'll wear the components whether you've done the chip or not.

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
I have been running the Racechip Pro 2 in my FD CRDI wagon ... I can't say i noticed any difference to fuel economy as i get the same amount of km's to a tank as before. ...
On the weekend I installed a RaceChip Pro 2 in my 2nd hand 2013 GD Tourer (6 speed Auto).
At least on initial impressions - it does seem to provide more power; but from ODBII values I've seen an increase of ~16% in fuel consumption!
:link: I30 Diesel auto fuel economy.

Interesting, that you yourself didn't see any improvement to fuel economy as that is one of the claims on RaceChip's website (1L/100km).  I'll run two to three tanks and report back.
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal