i30 Owners Club

Throttle Body Upgrade

CraigB · 26 · 7604

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The next stage of my tinkering continues :D

Picked up a 1.8ltr throttle body that I'm going to fit to me little toy, just have to tap in a 1/16th vac line ( 1.8ltr doesn't have one ) and it's a straight swap over for my current 1.6ltr throttle body.

Upsizing to a 60mm internal bore size from 53mm should give me just enough extra air flow to liven things up a bit more, roughly another 10hp and better throttle response is the expected outcome...stay tuned for more exciting news and some photos once I clean and fit it :)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Can't wait to see the results! Keep us posted :goodjob:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I recon paint it pink.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pink :Shocked: you're starting to worry me Tim :confused: are you hanging around with the wrong people at the new job :undecided: or is the house full of girls starting to take it's toll :lol:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
This isnt about me  :whistler: :whistler:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My ex wife use to say that, she liked pink too :D :winker:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Fitted the new throttle body today, it would have been done yesterday if my 1/16th tap bit hadn't gone astray, bloody new bit cost me $48 :Pout:

Here's the two TB's side by side, new 1.8ltr 60mm on the right, I had my calculations slightly out on the size of the original TB as I thought it was 53mm but it turned out to be 55mm bore with a 57mm offset butterfly " who knows why they done it like that :head_butt: ".
The new one is 60mm bore and 60mm butterfly, "note the different sizes in the coolant lines between the two, I'm disconnecting them but if you were going to use them you'll need 2 x 1/2" to 3/8" connecters and just enough 3/8" hose to make the fit.

A pic of the manifold plenum if anyone ever wondered what was inside ( not much :p ) it's an exact 60mm match to the new TB :)

All fitted, I re-routed the coolant lines back into themselves as we don't get cold enough temperatures here in WA to bother with it, it'll probably help very slightly to keep the whole induction tract a little cooler anyway but I still left them intact just in case I ever do want to connect them back up.

I ended up changing the induction pipe again as the TB end needed upsizing to 70mm and I disconnected the vacume/breather line which now just has a small filter on the end of it sitting near the battery.

Hope Tim's happy it's not blue anymore :) though maybe he would prefer pink :snigger:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 13:55:36 by CraigB »

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Looking good Craig.

Am I correct in saying that the coolant pipes are supposed to help in heating up the throttle body in cold temps to assist with fuel atomisation? I've heard they are necessary with countries with regular subzero temperatures to keep the frigid air from affecting engine performance but I'm not too sure how correct my facts are.

Was the new TB sourced from an i30 motor as well?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice work Craig. Look forward to feedback on the end result.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If I may comment, the heating for the TB should be connected IMO. This is based on the reasoning that low temps are not necessarily required to promote the formation of ice in the TB. Warm moist air, combined with the volatile mix of atomized fuel and low air pressure in the chamber on acceleration will create a fog of condensed vapours which could lead to ice formation. Just my thoughts.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looking good Craig.

Am I correct in saying that the coolant pipes are supposed to help in heating up the throttle body in cold temps to assist with fuel atomisation? I've heard they are necessary with countries with regular subzero temperatures to keep the frigid air from affecting engine performance but I'm not too sure how correct my facts are.

Was the new TB sourced from an i30 motor as well?

Yeah! the coolant lines are to maintain a constant 69c temp in the TB, no reason for it here, doesn't seem to affect first start choke but I'll test that early tomorrow.

TB came off a 2013 i30 ( 37,000km's ) that I picked up from a wreckers 500m down the road for $250.
Nice work Craig. Look forward to feedback on the end result.  :goodjob:
Thanks Dazz :)

Results are pretty good so far, did a 90km round trip this afternoon to test before I go south tomorrow and there is some good noticeable results in the torque...not heaps but enough to feel a change and improve the driving experience.

Can't say what sort of hp gain it would have but there would obviously been a small increase there.

Fuel dropped down to 6.4lph from 6.6 so it's going in the right direction, probably stay similar I'd think but I'll test that over the next 4 days down in Margaret River :happydance:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:49:48 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If I may comment, the heating for the TB should be connected IMO. This is based on the reasoning that low temps are not necessarily required to promote the formation of ice in the TB. Warm moist air, combined with the volatile mix of atomized fuel and low air pressure in the chamber on acceleration will create a fog of condensed vapours which could lead to ice formation. Just my thoughts.
It's an unnecessary feature in WA, we never get the freezing temps like the sth east and I think even those temps wouldn't bother it, the coolant lines may help prevent the throttle from sticking in those really cold climates though :undecided: generally the colder the air the better...when I ran the hot fuels in the race cars you'd always try to achieve a nice cold sweat on the carbies and manifold ( hotter the fuel cooler the engine ) and they run so much better on really cold and icy nights.

Water also only flows just on that one little edge of the TB so it's not overly efficient anyway with the rate at which air will pass through it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, I agree, heating the air will reduce efficiency. It's always a compromise.  :Dunno:

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Fitted the new throttle body today, it .......

Anyone know why I can't see any of the pictures  :crazy1:

EDIT: Don't know why as nothing has been changed but this morning I can now see the pics  :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 21:53:08 by panthersteve »
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Fitted the new throttle body today, it .......

Could be the browser you are using - various issues have been mentioned over in the forum problems section of the forum... not sure if any covers these.   I will note a few days ago I had issues seeing some pictures in another topic - apparently the image hosting site has issues or were updating/upgrading.   But I can see the pictures in this topic just fine right now (and when they were put up).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Are you using an Adblocker or NoScript similar programs ? pictures show fine with IE 11 and Edge.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: panthersteve

There are pictures in this thread? :scared:

J/k - they are hosted on imgur so check what CraigB said, also if you're using Firefox make sure you haven't got imgur.com blocked in your photo settings.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just got to our stay in Margaret River, the car drove beautifully on the 270km's down here with speeds mostly sitting on 100-110kph 130-150 :whistler:

Sitting on 6.2 at the moment so I'm happy with the fuel usage so far considering the speed I sat on :)

Cold start this morning isn't affected by the coolant line being disconnected, I thought the choke might not have cut in on first start but it worked just like usual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Choke  :question:

Didn't know they had one  :exclaim:

Good news it dorve nicely for you  :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Choke  :question:

Didn't know they had one  :exclaim:

Good news it dorve nicely for you  :goodjob2:
It's an electronic choke "of sorts", always has  fast idle for the first 10 or 20 seconds on cold start.

Looks like all the coolant line provides is heating for the TB itself, the ambient temperature under the bonnet provides more than enough heat for that in our climate.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Got home today, did the whole trip on one tank of fuel ( 830km's ) so I must have been running fumes as once we filled up back in Perth as it took 53.5ltr's :eek:

Very happy with the TB change over, all the hills and valleys on the tourist drives from Margaret River to Augusta then back to Margaret River then on to Nannup to Balingup to Bunbury to Ferguson Valley back through Collie and home to Perth were such a dream to drive with the extra torque, uphill in 6th isn't a problem anymore :D

Quite impressed with the economy as well, normally around town with 50/50 hwy and city traffic I'm averaging between 730 to 750kms per tank so to get 830kms through all that hilly terrain was an achievement in itself.

Nearly took out two Emu's on two separate occasions on the back route from Margaret River to Nannup :eek: both times they were coming out of the new Pine plantations and standing on the roadside and once you approach they would shy across the road rather than duck back into the re-growth :crazy1: probably why it's so rare to see Emus down south anymore :disapp:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:35:23 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great to hear Craig.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
 :whsaid:

Good to hear all your work pays off...  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal