i30 Owners Club

Series 2 veloster turbo wheels on i30

Offline DanBag230

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi all, my girlfiend has owned her i30 ActiveX for a bit over 12 months now. I found the standard 16 inch rims a bit ugly/common and the tyres cheap/nasty so had to upgrade them.

Used a couple of posts from this forum about veloster rims for reference. I picked the series 2 veloster turbo rims as they have more of a factory look over the series 1 wheels and at the moment a lot of people seem to be selling them. Picked up a set dirt cheap from gumtree which had only been on the veloster for 80kms. Thought I would pay back the favour by posting pics of Veloster rims on her i30 for everyone's enjoyment and incase people are considering doing this on their own car.

I can confirm there are zero clearance issues with the standard 225/40/18 tyres. They are smoother and quieter than the standard 16 inch wheels. Don't believe it when other people say 18s will be a harsh ride as it is simply not true.  I am not going to lower the car as I don't think it needs it.

Overall very happy with the new look and feel of the car. Let me know what you all think.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:10:52 by DanBag230 »
  • 2015 Hyundai i30 ActiveX

Offline DanBag230

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Sorry pics weren't loaded properly. Should be showing now  :goodjob2:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks good for factories :goodjob2: what tyres are you running? the tyres don't usually make the ride much harsher though when driving on course road surfaces you'll get more road noise back into the cabin.

Offline DanBag230

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Tyres are the factory hankook ventus prime2 - 225/40/18.

Very happy with the ride quality and noise thus far. The tyres that came on the 16s from factory were rubbish.

Also a big fan of the oversized factory wheel look. Just makes a car more pretty without giving it a tuner look. Back when I had a Mazda 3 mps I ran cx9 20inch factory rims on it.

Here's a pic of my old mps to keep the ovesized factory love going...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline DanBag230

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
What rims and size do u have? Hard to tell on your avatar pic. Also is that the 3 door i30? I like the styling of the 3 door better than the 5 door. Just shame it didn't come with a bigger motor  :head_knock:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: Thanks for the photos.  Like the others say they look great!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What rims and size do u have? Hard to tell on your avatar pic. Also is that the 3 door i30? I like the styling of the 3 door better than the 5 door. Just shame it didn't come with a bigger motor  :head_knock:
Mine are 18 x 8 Koya's, yeah I like the 3 door coupe shape better, motor size didn't matter to much to me as I like to tinker, she's a fair bit quicker than the 1.8ltr :)

Offline DanBag230

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Mine are 18 x 8 Koya's, yeah I like the 3 door coupe shape better, motor size didn't matter to much to me as I like to tinker, she's a fair bit quicker than the 1.8ltr :)

Looks good man. Fan of the 3 door and I suppose with the reduced weight it would be comparable to the 1.8L. U should keep an eye out for a written off veloster turbo and do an enjine swap :)

Also the front grill?! Is it the SR grill? Thinking about keeping an eye out for one of these on eBay but doubt they'll show up often.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's probably more comparable to the 2ltr tbh, I'm not really a turbo fan ( excuse the pun :) ) might be a chance that I'll supercharge it next year though not sure if I want to start having some fun at the track with it which would mean no supercharging and maybe an upgraded cam kit with new Haltech ECU.

Yes it's the SR grill on there, you can order them from Shark Racing for about $240, I might even be selling mine at some stage as thinking of a modified version of the original grill ported for ram air fixtures, early days yet.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi DanBag230

:wttc:

Those wheels suits your car very well :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Its not so much the ride that worries me, just the replacement cost of the tyres, and the shorter life.

Though with the good wife seemingly able to go through a set of 15" tyres every 40,000ks or so Perhaps this won't be an issue.

Probably going to throw a set of 16" on hers when these run out. My 16s on the i40 look new with 32k on them.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Its not so much the ride that worries me, just the replacement cost of the tyres, and the shorter life.

Though with the good wife seemingly able to go through a set of 15" tyres every 40,000ks or so Perhaps this won't be an issue.

Probably going to throw a set of 16" on hers when these run out. My 16s on the i40 look new with 32k on them.
My 18" Hankooks weren't the cheapest at $195 each though are supposed to have 80,000km life, they're doing very well so far :)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Would they survive the left hand turn onto the driveway gutter that my wife likes to take at speed 3-4 times a day.... :head_butt:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline DanBag230

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Would they survive the left hand turn onto the driveway gutter that my wife likes to take at speed 3-4 times a day.... :head_butt:

Hahahaha

Yer wives/GFs don't seem to understand the seriousness of hitting a gutter. Best to keep more sidewall if she's like that  :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal