i30 Owners Club

2017 - Any of our members riding their pushy's?

eye30 · 188 · 40510

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

with cars need controls & steering on left or right side, not so with bikes.

My bike has steering in the middle!

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's the version I remember, the original by The Mixtures:

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Its been about 3 months since the DVT. I have been gradually winding the km's back up again. Its been slow going but its getting better each week although I am still suffering on teeny tiny hills. Hopefully that will come good in time as well.

In other news, spent some time with Adam Hansen again recently, but manned the cameras instead of riding since I didn't have enough in the legs to keep up.

:link: images - Images by Keith & Joan

I did go out about two weekends ago with the local Audax folks for a 100km spin. I was ridiculously hot (37C ambient and about another 10 degrees on the road I was told) and my tire exploded about 5 km in. Audax rides are notoriously brutal so it might have been for the best anyway.

http://audaxqld.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/17_02_18_esk-at-night-report.pdf

Looks like youtube embedding is pooched, so check here instead and checkout the first vid: :link: Video Gallery ? Keith and Joan's Gallery
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:43:09 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Out on the bike today. 
First proper ride of 2017 covering 32 miles!!!!!!! phew.
Sandle sore and lead legs!!!!!!
Dined al fresco at my favourite chippy in Chester.

Selection of photo's of the Welsh hills, Helsby hill, Shropshire Union Canal and Hadlow Road preserved railway station.  Enjoy.....

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You can borrow mine if you like :whistler:

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Glorious day here so I got out on my bike and visited Bidston Moss, local Tip now grassed over and cycle path built, and the coastal path.

The local tip was closed down for tipping on the site many years ago, you can still go with your rubbish to the location but the waste is now taken elsewhere for landfill.

Selection of picture from the top of the Tip looking over the Wirral towards the Liverpool skyline and Wales and from the coastal path towards Crosby/ Formby and Wales.

The final picture is of a microlite passing by overhead while I was taking a deserved break at the beach.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the photos Lester... Not exactly a pretty place is it!  :undecided:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Since the issue just before Christmas, the cycling has slowed down a lot. But a few weeks ago on a stupidly hot day I headed for a spin in the hills with the local Audaxers. 5km in the rear tire exploded which then led to a whole bunch of drama owing to having tubeless ready wheels on the bike.

This experience led to the discover of "the bead jack". Here's what happened:

This unusual item is a bead jack, a thing I had never heard of until after I was stranded at the side of the road out in the sticks on a miserably hot day following a catastrophic tire failure, fruitlessly trying to remove the wrecked tire and replace it with a more serviceable item.

It seems that tubeless wheels are a proper pita to remove and fit tires to by reason of their design which is intended to provide an airtight seal at the bead. Accordingly the edge of the rim sits a bit higher and the tire bead locks into a groove on the inside of the rim which presents a second issue, more on this in a moment. These design elements conspire to make the removal and fitment of a tire near impossible for mere mortals - unless you have a bead jack.

This wonder of the modern age effortlessly lifts the tire over the rim and does away with the need for bad language as your tire levers launch themselves into space from under the tire while you try and defeat the principles of physics.

So having fixed the issue of easily getting the tire on the rim, there remains the second issue, the proper beading of the tire on the rim. Using a track pump, the tire needs to be inflated to above the recommended riding pressure, the tire unleashes a mighty pinging/cracking noise as the beads lock and then the tire can be deflated to a more sensible pressure. You will need the thumbs of Hercules to break the bead however.

Even though I carry a high pressure frame pump with me, its unlikely to be able to successfully bead the tires this way and this was the thing that eventually defeated me at the side of the road.

So while bulletproof tires have been installed to minimise punctures, and the bead jack acquired to prevent the time consuming wrestling of the tire onto the rim, I have no solution for the pressure required to properly seat the tire at the side of the road.

Wiser heads than mine have replaced their fancy tubeless ready carbon rims with H+SON archetypes which does away with all this faffing completely. I may eventually head down that path myself.

Bead jack. Who knew such a thing existed?

Bulletproof tires.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:00:50 by Aussie Keith »

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Here's a couple of nice shots from my latest bike ride.

Funny story, was riding with some new people including a couple of slim young (30 y/o) women. When they saw me (twice their age) unloading my bike from the ute they said "pretty hard ride this one"..

Anyway, ended up passing them up a steep hill easily (in a higher gear) they had to push their bikes up the last bit (i didn't)  :lol:

When I had a cuppa with them later we all had a good laugh.  :D

@Lakes

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Nice view,  👍
Where is ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mick , it was a place called Potatoe point, little out of the way place on far south coast about 50k south Batemans Bay.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Since the issue just before Christmas, the cycling has slowed down a lot. But a few weeks ago on a stupidly hot day I headed for a spin in the hills with the local Audaxers. 5km in the rear tire exploded which then led to a whole bunch of drama owing to having tubeless ready wheels on the bike.

This experience led to the discover of "the bead jack". Here's what happened:

This unusual item is a bead jack, a thing I had never heard of until after I was stranded at the side of the road out in the sticks on a miserably hot day following a catastrophic tire failure, fruitlessly trying to remove the wrecked tire and replace it with a more serviceable item.

It seems that tubeless wheels are a proper pita to remove and fit tires to by reason of their design which is intended to provide an airtight seal at the bead. Accordingly the edge of the rim sits a bit higher and the tire bead locks into a groove on the inside of the rim which presents a second issue, more on this in a moment. These design elements conspire to make the removal and fitment of a tire near impossible for mere mortals - unless you have a bead jack.

This wonder of the modern age effortlessly lifts the tire over the rim and does away with the need for bad language as your tire levers launch themselves into space from under the tire while you try and defeat the principles of physics.

So having fixed the issue of easily getting the tire on the rim, there remains the second issue, the proper beading of the tire on the rim. Using a track pump, the tire needs to be inflated to above the recommended riding pressure, the tire unleashes a mighty pinging/cracking noise as the beads lock and then the tire can be deflated to a more sensible pressure. You will need the thumbs of Hercules to break the bead however.

Even though I carry a high pressure frame pump with me, its unlikely to be able to successfully bead the tires this way and this was the thing that eventually defeated me at the side of the road.

So while bulletproof tires have been installed to minimise punctures, and the bead jack acquired to prevent the time consuming wrestling of the tire onto the rim, I have no solution for the pressure required to properly seat the tire at the side of the road.

Wiser heads than mine have replaced their fancy tubeless ready carbon rims with H+SON archetypes which does away with all this faffing completely. I may eventually head down that path myself.

Bead jack. Who knew such a thing existed?

Bulletproof tires.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

AussieK i have never seen a bead jack for a pushy, but i think its a good idea to have safty rims on them, i'm wondering how you seal a spoked rim to run tubless?
Have seen BMW MC spoke rim that has the spokes laced from both edges of the rim not to center. I think if i'm going to have a flat at speed on a pushy rear slightly prefered than the front. Hate flats!
Good to see your posting again.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
On tubeless ready wheels: https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/buyers-guide-go-tubeless.html#7IpvWIm7SeAW8l5G.97

Wise heads are replacing their tubeless ready rims with normal ones and I'll probably do the same down the track.

Leg continues to improve which is great. I'll dig out some pics from recent rides and post them later.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Elena has expressed a desire to ride with me to base tomorrow morning, so we'll both be on our pushies, I to work and she to the gym.
"ns"
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Elena has expressed a desire to ride with me to base tomorrow morning, so we'll both be on our pushies, I to work and she to the gym.
"ns"
Selfie or it never happened

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"ns"
:Shocked: Looks more like a threesome to me!

Sounds like her energy levels are improving.  :victory:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Views from recent rides.

Preeces on the jetty at Redcliffe, a regular Friday morning stop.

Rush Creek on the way to Dayboro.

Clear Mountain Road. It's a 20% climb so definitely not going up there.

Down by the waterfront at Sandgate.

And Scarborough.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:16:43 by Aussie Keith »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Keith, Nice variety there.  :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Need to get out on mine and taje sone new pictures for 2017 .

Not been out as weather not been riding weather for me here.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i got out with the local pushy ( puff puff ) group we covered 18k round trip, my bikes front derailer was not selecting the lowest gear so was hard on some hill's, so i will adjust the cable. my friend got himself a new electric and peddle bike really nice and can"t see battery or the drive has a good front suspension & huge hydraulic disc's front and rear, he made it look easy up hill's. but i ride for exercise so no electric in my future!! sorry no pic's

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looked at and had a short test ride on a $1995 foldable pedal/electric bike at Agfest. Was quite tempted (if only we had a bike track out my end of town that joined the other ones.

Similar to these.

:link: Leitner Folding Electric Bike Walkthrough - Tas Electric Vehicles

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal