i30 Owners Club

Comparing New Elantra with Kia Cerato and Subaru Impreza

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Wife is on the hunt. Any comments to help deciding?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Like the look of the new Elantra (Esp at $20,500 Drive away) (The turbo looks like the ducks nutz and could be sought after in the used car market but is 10+k more). Kia for value (purchase price and warranty) but I would have to go up a grade because I really don't like the orange radio. It will no doubt follow the i30 to be upgraded.

The Impreza I don't know much about, but Subaru has a reputation for high service costs and the 3 year/unlimited warranty is well behind the other two.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, mate. She's aiming for leather so top end trim in all choices including the SR.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I thought I'd read/heard somewhere that the i30 seats use only partial leather :undecided:

i30 has the warranty and service costs in it's favour but the Subaru has definitely got the quality and technology on it's side, everything from the chassis - paint - interior - engine, it's all levels higher than Hyundai.

Have you looked at the Ford Focus models Gonz? absolutely brilliant little car that I feel run rings around our poor little Hyundai's.

Honda Civic has a new model/shape releasing soon as well.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Like many manufacturers, Hyundai uses "leatherette" which is synthetic, "man-made" leather.  :confused:
I wouldn't touch a Focus with a barge pole (if it's an auto). Known problems with the autos that when out of warranty cost so much to repair that the car is a throw away.
Honda Civic looks interesting and Subarus are a quality car in my opinion, if a little bland in some models.
That said, what's wrong with public transport?   :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I didn't know about Focus gearbox issues :eek: the car itself though drives very nice though as I took my Aunties Focus S for a squirt just before xmas and I was quite impressed :goodjob2: don't think I'll mention the gearbox to her :scared:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There is a comprehensive comparison on here somewhere of the Civic RS and Elantra SR (from memory the Elantra won by a slim margin)

The Elantra is basically an i30 Sedan. I like the new styling inside and out and was quite tempted but basically a slightly smaller version of my existing car in most areas and if I swap I would prefer a higher seating position(entry and exit)

I did a fair bit of tyre kicking and driving of the new Civic before the Elantra SR was upgraded. It is a nice car but the little turbo engine has a horrible sound and the warranty isn't as good and servicing is more expensive (10K service intervals V 15K in the Hyundai.)

The Cerato is Ok but not quite as refined or sporty as the SR. Basically half a generation behind. I think the Elantra would have better resale too.

The Focus is a nice car. They had major issues with the Dual Clutch Transmission so have gone back to a 6 speed Conventional Auto, which should be better. Unfortunately, QC is still not good in Fords and they still have a reputation (like VW) for hanging customers out to dry with warranty issues (much worse than Hyundai) So I wouldn't buy a Focus.

Get Elena to drive all three (I reckon she'll go the Elantra.)

The "partial leather" is used by most budget Manufacturers. If you read the fine print it usually says what Dave said or that only the face of the seats is leather and the remainder of the seat material is man made (or words to that effect)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
And if she goes Elantra, it's easier to change the badging to Elena SR than it would be to change it from Focus.
Here to help.   :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
And if she goes Elantra, it's easier to change the badging to Elena SR than it would be to change it from Focus.
Here to help.   :)
:lol: :goodjob:

Slydog
Personally would stay away from the Focus even in a manual is still seem to be somewhat troublesome.

:link: Browse all recalls | Product Safety Australia is useful to check how many recalls cars have had over their lifetimes.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Personally would stay away from the Focus even in a manual is still seem to be somewhat troublesome.

:link: Browse all recalls | Product Safety Australia is useful to check how many recalls cars have had over their lifetimes.
Last recall for the Focus I see there is from 2015 for Front Drive Halfshafts Replacement.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

It's a Ford, it's in their DNA.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
She's happy to have shortlisted just the Hy, Kia and Suby. I think she's still leaning towards the Hy if the leather is leather enough.  :winker:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I like that new Holden Astra as well :)

See Ford.

The last Astra was ace, who can forget when they dropped the timing belt from 100,000 to 60,000 because they kept snapping.....

I guess these days that would be a class action on the scale of VW.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I like that new Holden Astra as well :)

See Ford.

The last Astra was ace, who can forget when they dropped the timing belt from 100,000 to 60,000 because they kept snapping.....
Was that the 2ltr VXR turbo model, I was informed they did a recall to change all belts to a different brand as the Euro supplied belt wasn't up to our summers...and the 400Nm of torque :D

The VXR was beautiful to drive and a rocket to boot :goodjob2:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I believe it was all of them, due to the belt tensioner failing in a lot of cars and costing them money, Holden changed the rules to move the cost to their customers....Nice.

:link: Holden Astra Timing Belt Issue | Caringbah Auto Repairs & Service

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I believe it was all of them, due to the belt tensioner failing in a lot of cars and costing them money, Holden changed the rules to move the cost to their customers....Nice.

:link: Holden Astra Timing Belt Issue | Caringbah Auto Repairs & Service
That's quite old, it's for the 1998 to 2005 1.8ltr models, there's been several models since then and not even in the class of the last model, the newest model gets awesome reviews though I still like the previous VXR turbo the best.

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
the Subaru will outlast Hyundai and Kia. they use better quality materials.
about the Focus, Ford extended the automatic transmission warranty like VW have. the failure was specific to certain years.
I would get the Citroen C4 or the Peugeot 308. but for you, it will probably be a too long way  :P
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There is little to chose between the Hyundai and equivalent KIA models. They share power trains, platforms and most of the mechanical and electrical bits. Its the body shape and blend of bells and whistles that creates the difference

In the UK Hyundai have a 5 year unlimited warranty - KIA have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. However both sneak limits in for some expensive components. KIA for example only warranty the satnav media head unit for 3 years.

If warranty is a factor - dive into the fine print and be aware of any prescribed limitations.

I have a KIA Niro hybrid on order and carefully checked that they warranty the battery for 7 years before buying (just in case I keep the car for that long :rofl:)
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Wheels magazine is my favoured go-to resource for reviews. You may want to have a look at the latest issue which has a small car mega test.

Final positions are:

1. Golf
2. Astra
3. Peugeot 308
4. Subaru impreza
5. Mazda 3
6. Ford Focus
7. Honda Civic
8. Skoda octavia
9. Renault Megane
10. Toyota Corolla
11. Hyundai Elantra
12. Kia cerato

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wheels magazine is my favoured go-to resource for reviews. You may want to have a look at the latest issue which has a small car mega test.

Final positions are:

1. Golf
2. Astra
3. Peugeot 308
4. Subaru impreza
5. Mazda 3
6. Ford Focus
7. Honda Civic
8. Skoda octavia
9. Renault Megane
10. Toyota Corolla
11. Hyundai Elantra
12. Kia cerato

I will have to check out that test (I can download the Wheels magazine for free from my local library)

I don't reckon they were looking at the top models of each as the SR Elantra would have rated much higher than 2nd last!

I am very familiar with the current Corolla (prefer the Sedan to the Hatch) but both very bland to drive compared to the Hyundai.

I sussed out a new Impreza sedan yesterday. They are quite a nice looking car and quite a step up on the old model. They have a limited offer of 2 years extra warranty I believe and 3 years 75K fixed price servicing (but I couldn't find out how much - usually quite dear even when capped)

Because you keep your cars a long time I think the Subby would work our dearer to maintain in the long run.

Resale on Subbies is usually better than Hyundai but if you keep them say 10 years the difference will be negligible.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz:

Re Subie servicing 12.5k $348.3 25k $601.59 37.5k $348.3 Note the 12.5k rather than 15k service intervals so to 62,500k the Subie would have done 5 services to the Hyundai's 4.

:link: Subaru Capped Price Servicing Program

Re Wheels.
Problem with reviews is they don't seem to focus on what is important to the consumer. I am sure that the Golf isn't a bad car, but is it expensive, has average warranty, and the company has on two recent occasions shown that they cannot be trusted. But Wheels will overlook this for a nice trip to Germany to test drive the new model and rear A/C vents.

If they had any integrity at all they would refuse to rate a VW (and Skoda for that matter) until their emmisions scandle is fixed (and owners compensated).

As for the rest on the list, Astra is unknown in current form (Whilst some may disagree the previous models had reputations for expensive maintence) the Pug has the same expensive maintence issues, as does the Subie.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Wheels

Just depends how much is in the little brown bags.

Obviously, VW paid to recapture their supposed reputation.

It's a magazine after all.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hqving had a bit to do with car magazines from both sides of the fence,  I have to agree their tests aren't necessarily a good guide.
Also, having owned 2 Scoobies,  I'd be wary of ongoing costs.

Incidentally,  for Dave's info, I got to drive and ride around in the original P76 press car, after Wheels had it, thanks to my connection at the time with Australian Motoring News. IIRC, it was the actual car which Wheels tested and gave the COTY award to.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I downloaded and read the 12 car comparison. Yes, all pretty much base models and the differences in a lot of cases were fairly insignificant and debateable. For example some of the more economical models require premium unleaded which off sets the fuel savings somewhat. They don't factor in things like historical reliability or higher service costs (thanks Beerman)

If Gonz can stretch to the Elantra SR **Turbo** he will have a very happy wife.. ( a very different vehicle than the base model in this multi test)

Slydog

Yeah I can't put faith in magazines that rely on car manufacturers advertising $$$ to survive.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If Gonz can stretch to the Elantra SR **Turbo** he will have a very happy wife.. ( a very different vehicle than the base model in this multi test)
That's still the plan, Dazz. :winker: :victory:

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Yeah I can't put faith in magazines that rely on car manufacturers advertising $$$ to survive.

Short of driving every car on the market, I guess we have to start somewhere.

Problem is that Toyota is the biggest spender on advertising, so given that wheels gave them 3rd last position, does this mean they are going to pull $$ away? How will Hyundai feel about this ranking?  Both of these brands spend far more on marketing in Australia than VW, Subaru, Peugeot or Skoda.

I've been in marketing for consumer technology for over 30 years and we're all mature enough to know that journos have a job to do and that is something pr companies manage with the industry. We constantly manage a pool of review samples that are checked thoroughly before and after a review and we always believe ours is best, but we are also realistic. Pulling advertising because of a bad review, though?  We use reviews as part of our product planning process on new models and are always keen to hear what the reviewers really think. Plus it's always a good excuse when we can't hit our sales targets.  :D

As much as I enjoy my i30, I also don't pretend that it's better than all other small cars. Everyone has their own priorities and car reviewers simply look at and compare on a number of measurable benchmarks to make their recommendations.

Reliability is not a tangible benchmark and cannot be measured in the short term. Frankly, even customers cannot prioritise this when selecting a new car. Most of our purchases are based on brand perceptions.  Are Toyotas still really unbreakable?  Let's not worry about whether elvis is still alive and if we really ever landed on the moon.   :lol: 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal