i30 Owners Club

Fuel injector pump issue?

Donk10 · 14 · 5945

Offline Donk10

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West midlands
Hi all I've just collected my 2010 i30 comfort 1.4 petrol this morning from a used car garage. All was well until later in the day I noticed the engine warning light was staying on, I drove over to the dealership and they put it on the diagnostics and reported back to me that it needed a new fuel injector pump. They're gonna sort it out but I'm not sure if it will solve the following issue I've noticed. The revs don't seem to drop below 1000rpm even with my foot off the gas and when I hold the car on the bite I have to hold the revs at around 2000rpm to stop the car from stalling. Is this normal behaviour for this car or is the fault the garage picked up? Im a little worried I've bought a dud but as this is my first car I really am not sure about this sort of stuff. Please help!
  • 2010 i30 comfort 1.4 petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Wait till the pump is sorted, then try the test again.

Engine speeds would depend on the incline, however, it's not good driving practice to use the clutch in this fashion, you should be using your handbrake, then there's no wear on the clutch.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Donk10

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West midlands
Sorry I didn't mean that I'm holding the car on the clutch on a hill as I am using the hand brake but this happens when I set the bite before releasing the hand brake. Would you consider the car ok to drive Whilst I wait for the part?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Ok, sorry.

If you can drive the car without stalling, It should be ok, but I would drive it a little as possible. If it stalls with vehicles bearing down on you, that would be a very bad situation :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Donk,

Not a very nice experience for your 1st car. I'm assuming you are only young so hopefully we can support you through this tricky situation.

Try and get some local support in place in case the issue isn't resolved or escalates. You need to be able to back out of the deal if necessary and get your money back. Injector issues can be a major and expensive repair.

Hopefully they are going to make a genuine attempt to sort it properly. I would be doing some discreet research about the seller's reputation. Hopefully you find out they have a good reputation not a dodgy one..

Try Googling them for reviews/problems and ask around (discreetly)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Was this test driven  prior to doing the deal?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Dok, not sure why they called it a Fuel injector pump, unless it was part of some explanation.
The petrol pump is in the fuel tank. It sounds as if the car can be driven at normal speed????? If so, the pump is working to some extent. The pickup could be clogged or pressure regulator is at fault.
As Dazz has advised you, look at your options  in case this gets expensive.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Donk10

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West midlands
The car is drivable and I did test drive it a week ago and I didn't notice any problem then at the time or when I first drove it away yesterday. They've got a decent reputation and I've got 12 months warranty with the car. It like I don't need to press the gas pedal a lot to move off unless on a bit of a hill. Sorry but I'm not very good at explaining this lol. They said they are gonna sort it and I'll ask them to take it out with me to iron out anymore problems.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good luck with it. I'm glad they have a decent reputation.  Be polite but firm. Don't let them fob you off if you are not happy with anything. We are more than happy to support you with advice as you require it. Obviously,  we can not diagnose faults definitively by remote control,  but our gurus will give it their best shot. :goodjob:

Offline Donk10

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West midlands
I've just ordered a odb2 Diaz tool from eBay so I'll double check the fault code and hit them with it as soon as it comes just to be sure. What revs should my car idle at?

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Personally I would try to drive as little as possible before it is fixed. If there is a small possibility that unburned fuel goes to the exhaust due some sort of malfunction in the fuel system, it may cause damage to the catalythic converter.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I've just ordered a odb2 Diaz tool from eBay so I'll double check the fault code and hit them with it as soon as it comes just to be sure. What revs should my car idle at?
about 600 rpm + 100 if using  aircon
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Donk10

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West midlands
Hmmm mines holding about 1100 rpm at idle also just noticed a loud squeal when reversing underload uphill?..starting to get very worried now

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmmm mines holding about 1100 rpm at idle also just noticed a loud squeal when reversing underload uphill?..starting to get very worried now
Reversing under load up hill is hard on a clutch at the best of times... I know the old FD (series 1) diesels never liked doing that. We didn't get the 1.4 petrol in Australia.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal