i30 Owners Club

i30 SR PD 1.6 Turbo Upgrades

bowski · 22 · 21758

Offline bowski

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD - Brisbane
Hi All, I am picking up my SR this week. I wanted to get a little more out of the car with out warranty issues. (I purchased it for the Warranty as I do high KMS)

Looking for a CAI and Exhaust. Anyone know about warranty issues or have advice on what to go for?
  • i30 2017 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As long as you don't change the headers then warranty wont be an issue, a cat back system is fine or simply changing the muffler to a free flowing one will be probably enough, intake is a little different on the turbos so all I'd recommend is a K&N panel filter replacement to make the airflow a bit easier, not sure what airbox the new model is using so a performance filter might not be available yet.

If you don't want to use the airbox you could look at extending the OEM induction pipe down into the area behind the airbox with a pod filter attached to the end of it though at this stage being so new and no options available yet I'd try to just keep it simple with a panel filter.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hi All, I am picking up my SR this week. I wanted to get a little more out of the car with out warranty issues. (I purchased it for the Warranty as I do high KMS)

Looking for a CAI and Exhaust. Anyone know about warranty issues or have advice on what to go for?

My advice would be just drive and enjoy it.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline bowski

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD - Brisbane

Don't spoil my fun :)
  • i30 2017 SR Premium

Offline bowski

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD - Brisbane
As long as you don't change the headers then warranty wont be an issue, a cat back system is fine or simply changing the muffler to a free flowing one will be probably enough, intake is a little different on the turbos so all I'd recommend is a K&N panel filter replacement to make the airflow a bit easier, not sure what airbox the new model is using so a performance filter might not be available yet.

If you don't want to use the airbox you could look at extending the OEM induction pipe down into the area behind the airbox with a pod filter attached to the end of it though at this stage being so new and no options available yet I'd try to just keep it simple with a panel filter.

I think its the same airbox as the elantra SR turbo, ill talk to the guys at the service centre, see what they know. For sure they have sold a Veloster and someone has done something to it.

Ill keep and eye on the K&N website.

I'll keep doing some research on the exhaust.

I dont want to do anything major but something like the above would fun.
  • i30 2017 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not much you can do without affecting warranty at this stage, yes there are mods for the Veloster Turbo but anything significant combines an ECU tune.

Sounds like you might have been better waiting for the i30 N series to come out :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 14:03:29 by CraigB »

Offline bowski

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD - Brisbane
I think it may just be an exhaust. will give it a few weeks and see how we go. Will post a review once i get the car.

Cheers.
  • i30 2017 SR Premium

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
very jealous, looking forward to seeing and hearing the SR's getting around on the street.
I think I'm going to wait another 12mths and the pull the pin on a SR i30/elantra or the N.
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Don't spoil my fun :)

Hardly going to spoil any fun.
Spoiling the fun by modding straight up so you'll never know the enjoyment of the upgrades.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Won't take long if you are doing high k's

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline bowski

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD - Brisbane
A few websites in the US who have started mods on the Elantra Sport. The Elantra GT (same as i30) turbo comes out in the US in June. Very promising that mods will come out of the i30 SR Turbo very soon especially if its one part that fits either the Elantra or i30 (at least in the engine bay)

Intake gains seem to be very good (even with dyno results) They claim 20whp gains.... (see this post - :link: Tork Motorsports Big Gulp/Tork Pipe Results! - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum)

Elantra Sport Forum: :link: Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum

Places in the US that are going to start or already make mods for the Elantra Turbo (not 100% confirmed but should fit the i30 SR Turbo)

:link: Welcome | DamnFastDD.com (Look under Elantra Sport)
http://www.sxthelement.com/default.asp (Currently Developing)
:link: 845 Motorsports ? Goin' Fast, Done Right (Currently Developing)

• i30 2017 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks interesting, another good gain to be made would be by putting in a larger/more efficient intercooler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@bowski  Got my K&N 33-5050 filter for my PD SR today. Fits perfectly and is about half as thick as the original. Expect very slight gains in performance and economy. Hopefully enough to notice..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@bowski

A mate also shared this link with me. I wonder if these Aussie guys can make this work for the SR (Basically the same motor) Be worth asking!

:link: +21% torque with Stage 1 ECU Remap on Hyundai Veloster 1.6 Gdi Turbo 150 KW (2012-now)

I personally wouldn't do it on mine though because I'm a tight old fart...

Too concerned with Cost/Warranty & Insurance.

Offline bowski

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD - Brisbane
im with you on the warranty, I have a BSD error and need to take it back for a warranty repair. I may wait till its run in more. @ 15,000KM  already.
  • i30 2017 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

im with you on the warranty, I have a BSD error and need to take it back for a warranty repair. I may wait till its run in more. @ 15,000KM  already.

Have you noticed any change/improvement in economy after 15K. Apparently they do free up quite a bit.

If I wanted or needed more performance I would probably just do something with the exhaust which apparently would only affect the exhaust warranty.  :cool:

Offline Zag

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hard thing to say about the exhaust, in the USA there's an high flow cat for the I30 PD

There's an company in Australia that has or looking at doing an I30 PD exhaust kit already.

What I found when I changed my Ford AU exhaust no turbo, high flow cat, 2.5 inch stock muffler sounded like an V8 always got asked if I had changed the motor and people complained about how loud it was was anyway.

Ended up with low power down low but mid to high just kept pulling, could keep up with Skylines at 160+klm with no problem. (big motor helps :) )
You will use up more fuel though as you'll be pulling more air to keep the exhaust filled.

Like the others I'd say stick with it and decide later on about it, as you'll probably void any warranty and might become a pain as the dealership wipes the tune and you have to reinstall it some how or you have to wipe it and they do what they need to and then you have to reinstall the tune.

As for ECU mods already have a company in the USA with a send in ECU they de-solder the chip put in their own one, not sure of the increase in power.

As for Veloster Turbo mods, lol.  there's a bucket load of them it seems, seen german Veloster Turbos running 400+ HP to the wheels on 22 inch rims.

A few days ago seen a new set of lights for them has strobe LEDs with 10 colours that flash to the music playing in the car or do 20 something patterns for car shows.

Do have I30 PD LED rear lights out, and some LED door trim kits some a blue only or come in red blue and white LEDs.
Can get all the LED blubs if you want as well for the I30 PD.

Alas though if you are fine with voiding the warranty or don't care about the warranty and have the cash to take care of any problems then you could do whatever you wanted really.

Not sure what the ODB2 apps will end up doing some of them can change the tune in some cars ECU.

Or maybe a powerchip will come out at some point to trick the ECU that would be a lot easier to rejig for the dealership and don't have to worry about them finding out the chip isn't standard and voids the car's warranty completely.
  • 2017 i30 Active 6M

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hard thing to say about the exhaust, in the USA there's an high flow cat for the I30 PD

There's an company in Australia that has or looking at doing an I30 PD exhaust kit already.
If you do the high flow cat then you'll need the ECU modified to prevent the secondary 02 sensor from being triggered, a sensor extension may help in some cases but when the cooler temperatures (16c and below) come this can set off the warning light again.

Sending the ECU to the USA is an option though the only problem with that is the USA tuning mob cant program for your immobiliser as what we have here differs to what that use there, Bloodtype Racing in the USA are one of the pioneers in Hyundai tuning and when I spoke to them over the phone they basically said they couldn't do it for models outside of the US, whether that has changed since I last spoke to them a couple of years ago I don't know :undecided:

As for the exhaust system, I had a look under one several weeks ago and it's quite a good setup (was either 2.25 or 2.50 stainless right through) personally all I'd change would be the rear muffler, if headers were changed then that voids the engine warranty.

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Im not sure about warranty....I assume anything done to the the performance of the vehicle will likely affect warranty.

Celtic Tuning  (a UK tuning firm with Australian distributors) seem to have an ECU tune for the Veloster 16.T 150KW that apparently is good for the i30 SR and Elantra SR turbo with the same t_GDI engine. $880 lifetime software warranty and 14day satisfaction money back Guarantee.

Rolan have the K&N Air Intake 69 Series Typhoon Kit (69-5317TS) that they sell in the USA for the Elantra GT Sport ( same as the latest  i30 SR) for $630 delivered on eBay .
  • Formerly a 2018 PD2 SR DCT, White (Lemon)

Offline Zane Maxwell

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hey Guys,

I see this question regarding CAI and Exhaust come up often on the forum so thought I would register to specifically address the question. I have been part of the New Car Sales Team at Jefferson Hyundai for almost 14 months now so hope to help on this forum.

Regarding CAI and Exhaust and warranty concerns you will be fine UNLESS they are able to prove that the CAI and Exhaust were the specific reason for the warranty issue in the first place. For example, Your warranty is not going to be void if they find an issue with the Parking brake as there is no correlation between that and the mods you've bolted on to the car. Even if you do experience engine issues and need to make a warranty claim, it is still very hard to prove that a CAI is to blame as they are actually designed to increase airflow which does not damage the engine.

I have both a CAI and a CAT back exhaust on my car which has really changed the sounds my car puts out. Although the sound of my exhaust is above the legal limit when I floor it, when driving sensibly it has a real growl which makes people question if it's a 4 cylinder. You can get an exhaust that stays within legal limitations but I'd say if you drive sensibly on busy roads and especially around the police, you will be fine. My car crackles and pops like the i30N and pops on down shifts so I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for easy but affordable mods. I picked up the CAI online for about $600 and the exhaust was custom made with stainless steel by a local business close to home for $650.

Please find the video attached for reference. Like all videos I'd say the video doesn't really do it justice as it sounds much better in person, as well as being noticeable louder in the flesh. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me on here. Cheers.

:link: CUSTOM CATBACK EXHAUST FOR i30 SR 2019 - YouTube
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Zane,

Thanks for that. A great 1st post!

Offline Doyourbiz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
That's a great sound coming out of that exhaust. What type of setup have they done for you to get that sound and would you by any chance have any pics of it?
  • 2018 i30 N-Line Premium 1.6T Polar White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal