i30 Owners Club

Can't decide between a i30 2009 slx, i30 2011 sx or 2009 sonata (diesel, auto)

paleace · 66 · 16120

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My understanding is the Wagon got the SLX seats rather than the plain black ones in the base model hatch.

Wagon:

Hatch:

Slx:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Getting back to the original post, I have always liked the old Sonata diesel with the 6 speed manual transmission.
I acknowledge that the technology is older and personally, I would not buy an automatic.
But the 6 speed manual (which was before its time in Australia) diesel I think is a good thing, if you could buy one at the right price.
I certainly would not discount it.

:link: 2008 Hyundai Sonata SLX Diesel Review | CarsGuide
  • Tertius the i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
My understanding is the Wagon got the SLX seats rather than the plain black ones in the base model hatch.

That would be right. I did some work on one last year, 2012 model FD with Auto, 35,000km on clock, owner sold it for $11,000.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hey guys just another general question about inspection for i30 diesels. I noticed on the 2 cars that I went to inspect the transmission oil was dark, a brownish-black colour. Strange thing is one of them had a receipt for having the transmission oil changed this year at a non-dealer service, but the colour of the A/T fluid isn't pink or amber. I know you already advised me of avoiding dark coloured A/T fluid Tw, but it just seemed odd. When driving the car it did sort of crap itself when I half-floored the pedal, going up and down in rpms and finding a gear before smoothing out but I'm guessing that is normal for 4 speeds?

I am currently borrowing a friend's car which has put the pressure off having to get a car asap and was thinking of waiting for EOFY and trying to get a 6 speed 2012 GD for maybe 1-2.5k more. I have read a lot of praise about the 6 speed GDs on here and how it is an excellent gearbox. I have found some that I'm interested in like this one: :link: We've taken a wrong turn. Only thing I'm thinking about though is: 6 speed a good trade off for+3k and more ks. There are more and more FD i30s coming out around 8-10k, the ones that I go to look at generally seem a little dodgy and the drive hasn't felt the same since the first time I drove one.

I don't really know what to do. I'm stuck between getting an i30 FD or GD. Initially before coming here I was researching deisel Ford powershift and VW DSG and a lot of people are telling me the diesel wet clutch is totally fine but then some saying to avoid at all costs because on the off chance that it does have a problem you'll have to spend 5-8k to fix it.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
All you can do is look for a well cared for vehicle with a good service history that drives well at a good price that fits your budget. Try not to over analyse. Hopefully you will know when you have found the right car.   :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
All you can do is look for a well cared for vehicle with a good service history that drives well at a good price that fits your budget. Try not to over analyse. Hopefully you will know when you have found the right car.   :cool:
My advice too. Dazz and I have bought and sold plenty of cars , many of them i30s.
The FD and GD are both good cars with NO inherent faults. Repeat; don't over analyse.
Use common sense, eg. your caution about the dark trans fluid is spot on. The drive was not good, possibly the transmission was flaring/slipping.
I will check in again at page 6 :rolleyes:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal