Test Driving a PD SR (1.6 Turbo) in Australia - by Dazzler

Dazzler · 23 · 22306

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As many of you know I had an opportunity to go to the official launch of the new PD in Australia in Sydney in early April, but unfortunately I had other commitments. I've had several offers from the friendly guys at Motors Devonport (Brad and Jake) to take one for a spin but us retired guys are busy.  :winker:

Anyway, yesterday I finally had a chance to go for a good mixed drive in a White SR Premium.

I'm guessing about 30 kilometres on a combination of city, rural and highway (110 kph limit) roads. I went and collected my Wife Trish from our house and dropped her back after, which meant I got two return trips up our winding 3 km country road (80kph limit) as well as couple of detours through town and a good run on the highway

I know most of you think the styling is a bit too conservative, but personally I like it and think it will not date like the new Honda Civic which is much fancier but quite "tizzy" to my eyes. Even Trish who isn't quick to accept new things liked the profile and the squared off tail, but wasn't so keen on the new grill.

We both like the interior and found the seats very comfortable.  Unfortunately due to some health issues I find the seating a bit low and hard to get in and out of. But certainly a great driving position and the red highlights combined with the grey leather in the SR certainly look the part too. The trend to black everything in a lot of interiors isn’t very appealing to me.

Being a little quieter than the previous models with low engine noise and fairly subdued road noise on all but course bitumen the performance was a bit deceiving. After the initial slight hesitation of the dual clutch transmission speed gathers fairly quickly so I found I had to keep a close eye on the speedo. It didn’t feel quick to me but I am now used to a well run in 210kw 6 cylinder car.

I think I prefer a standard auto transmission, but saying that the DCT behaved itself fairly well and does apparently help fuel economy compared to most conventional autos. I noticed it spent a lot of time at around 1500 rpms. Talking of engine noise, I much preferred it to the new Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo engine noise which may have been partly due to that cars CVT transmission.  I liked the fact that it had gear change paddles on the steering wheel, although I didn’t drive it too hard being that it had only done about 240 kilometres since new.

Two things which impressed me were the steering and the ride/handling compromise. The steering had just enough feel and response (very similar to my Calais – which I think is excellent)

I30’s have always had a sure footed (larger car) feel on the road, but the SR seems to have gone up another notch. Somehow they have given the driver more “seat of the pants” feel but made the suspension very compliant on our not so perfect roads.
I loved the autonomous cruise, which was more seamless and user friendly than the Honda. Maybe it’s because we have had three i30’s and a couple of other Hyundai models, but I felt very much at home straight away. Everything is logical and well positioned. The new binnacle touch screen is very clear and large and looks fine where it is. I liked the fact there are buttons and knobs for the most important functions.

Although the boot is only something like 18 litres larger than the previous model it is a good shape and at 395 litres, getting close to our minimum requirements.

Not impressed with only a space saver spare when there appears room for a full size one.

It is good that you can still have all the stuff that matters (in the Australian range) without paying the extra for the Sunroof heated seats etc of the SR Premium. If I bought one I think I would just get the SR. It still has the 1.6 Turbo, dressy interior, autonomous cruise etc...

Overall a very impressive car for the price and if I didn’t have mobility issues I would have been very tempted to buy one of these or an Elantra SR (although I don’t think that gets autonomous cruise)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Good review Dazz :goodjob:

That's the same model I was checking out last week during my service, quite nice, I'd like to do an evening/night drive to test out the LED headlights...does the standard SR also get the LED lights?

Space saver tyre doesn't bother me as it's only to be used temporary anyway and it saves on weight, luckily we don't get the useless puncture kit supplied in the European countries :disapp: unless that's changed with the new model :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The standard SR doesn't get the LED headlights.  :cool:

Yes, better than a repair kit but not really suitable for the distances we travel in Australia. :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good review, Dazz. That binnacle display is almost as good as my GPS. I guess I was ahead of my time. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good review, Dazz. That binnacle display is almost as good as my GPS. I guess I was ahead of my time. :whistler:

I hadn't thought of it like that Gonz!  :snigger:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's why Gonz is who he is and where he is and a valuable to us as he is  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's why Gonz is who he is and where he is and a valuable to us as he is  :D

Bit like my Shark fin antenna on the Hybrid camry (next model came standard with it)  :mrgreen:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Jeanie asses. :cool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Nice review Dazz - a bit short by my standards but you crammed a lot of info into a short space.

I had a brief drive in a Hyundai Ioniq just before we went on holiday. It is a very nice looking car and well specified. There were no revelations regarding the hybrid drive because it is identical to my Niro - but it has a slightly more supple ride.

I got into the car easily but had quite a struggle getting out - so I am glad I didn't wait for the Ioniq launch.

I imagine that the Ioniq is going to sneak sales from the i30. It is more expensive but is quiet, roomy, very economical and has a good turn of speed if you are willing to sacrifice cost for performance.

Hyundai and KIA are now big players on the World market - you should perhaps be preparing to expand this forum to cover the other models in more detail. I doubt that the i30, as we know it today, will last beyond the next revamp.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good point about expanding the forum Alan, we need to have a discussion with Steve and the other moderators at some stage to consider our options.

I didn't go into too much detail as several others had beaten me to it and between Trevor and Neville most bases had already been covered.  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Good test reportDazz, do they have a real manual gear box with foot clutch?
If not no way i would buy one.
How much Torque?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good test reportDazz, do they have a real manual gear box with foot clutch?
If not no way i would buy one.
How much Torque?
@Lakes
Yes, available with a manual but I don't think the Manual gets smart cruise. (Which I really like)

Torque pretty good at 265nm from 1500-4500 RPM

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thats prety good torque  ust be 1.4 or 1.6 turbo intercooled if petrol, but servicing costs they charge, shock most buyers. And you will prob see low k used oneson maket ina year or two.. KIA & Hy savage with service  charges. On turbo petrol. Also tubo petrol turbo's spin at muchhigher rev than diesel so tubo's don't last that long on a 4 cyl petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thats prety good torque  ust be 1.4 or 1.6 turbo intercooled if petrol, but servicing costs they charge, shock most buyers. And you will prob see low k used oneson maket ina year or two.. KIA & Hy savage with service  charges. On turbo petrol. Also tubo petrol turbo's spin at muchhigher rev than diesel so tubo's don't last that long on a 4 cyl petrol
It's 1.6 Turbo in Australia. They have gone to 10,000 km service intervals (from 7500) on the Turbo model (I prefer 15K) but they are still much cheaper fixed price services than Mazda and Honda as far as I am aware.

Not sure about turbo speeds but with DCT revs staying fairly low. I think they will last OK.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That would mean interval services every 5000k then, Hyundai Rockingham mentioned to me that they've upgraded their oil quality (Castrol Edge) used for the new turbo models which is good, I'd certainly recommend doing interval changes on any turbo model and with a top quality oil.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That would mean interval services every 5000k then, Hyundai Rockingham mentioned to me that they've upgraded their oil quality (Castrol Edge) used for the new turbo models which is good, I'd certainly recommend doing interval changes on any turbo model and with a top quality oil.

:Shocked:

No way would I have a car that needed the oil changed a minimum of 5 times a year! I was doing 30k per annum, probably back closer to 25K now.  :crazy1:

Imagine someone like @Doggie 1 when he was doing 50K per annum.  :disapp:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Dazz you would not be a good man to buy a used car from  15k service good for the enviroment, but not so good for the engine. Turbo's run at very high temps ( not engine itself, but the turbo unit ) once oils hit a temp over what they can handle, especially synthetic oil's. An important additive breaks down. At that point i will not have that oil in my  motor!! ( needs changing, to continue to do it's job )
Also a turbo in a petrol motor spins at higher speeds than a diesel, but ok if runing at low boost. Raise the boost high and the turbine gets metal fateague, needs changinb at about 100k intervals. Ok if your only doing 20k per year & keeping car three years.
Warranty ok and 15k service interval ok if only keeping car three years. As factory don't want us keeping cars long term, they would go broke!
So after warrany motor can be stuffed for all they care.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think good quality modern oils should last for 10K. If service intervals were 10K I would stick to that, but from a cost of ownership and convenience point of view 15K services suit me better. On the other hand I wouldn't like to stretch them out to 20K miles like they do in the UK!  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The interval service can always be done by yourself as it's only an oil change, that'll keep the cost down and make the turbo last a lot longer.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Oil lines to turbo bearings  are usually very small.
Any build up in them will restrict flow resulting in higher wear / failure of turbo.
Oils must be changed regularly,  ask any motorcycle owner about oils.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fairy nuff...

Offline Glacius

• V.I.P

• no Norway
      Troms
nice man!

not gonna deny it , this thing is sexy as hell! ; i want one , but its to much right now but in future I might get one.

Really like the new look front and back is super sleek and interior is " dazzling! =D

Dont think it will be long until China tuners will show up! =D

cheers Dazz

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Glad you enjoyed that Glac.  :victory:

Yes, a very balanced package is the best way to put it.  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal