i30 Owners Club

Steering knock & buzzing sound

Bradzin · 21 · 3809

Offline Bradzin

• 1st Gear
Hello all,

I have just bought an i30  - 2008, 55,000 miles.

I wasn't looking to buy an i30, but it felt nicer to drive, better features and better value than Ford Focus's that I was looking at getting.

Never had one before. It seems OK so far, but there is a slight knocking/rattling around the steering column or front wheel when going over rough road, but only at slower speed. Having the garage look at that on Wednesday.

What would people recommend looking out for and looking after an i30?

Took me a while to find the aux/usb input for the radio - hidden under the central storage area!!
  • i30 2008

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Bradzin &  :wttc: Plenty of information on this site about steering rattles just go on the search.  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome

On my previous 57 plate there was a recall to tighten the u bracket at the bottom of the steering column. Wonder if yours falls within recall.  Worth  checking.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline i30joe

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Jarrow
Yeah take it to the dealer and ask about recalls. Mine had 2 or 3 done at once.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 2011 i30 crdi comfort

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: There was a technical service bulletin  (TSB) for a $5 plastic bush in the steering column that can wear prematurely.  It could be that. Not sure it would be fixed FOC on a 9 year old car though. Labour is the killer, about 2 hours I think. Hopefully something being tightened fixes it!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Bradzin

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I checked the bracket at the bottom of the steering column near the pedals. I was able to tighten this up and since then the noise has stopped - so that was a simple fix!

The other thing I can hear is a high pitched buzzing noise. At first I thought it was my ears! Its the sort of ringing in the ears noise you get after going to a loud concert. Its definitely coming from the car, appears to come from somewhere towards the back and underneath, is only there when the engine is running and is constant, doesn't fluctuate with speed of engine or anything else.

Its quite quiet, can't be heard when the car picks up speed, but now I've noticed it, it keeps anoying me!
  • i30 2008

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The fuel tank in under the rear seat.

Wonder if pump?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
The fuel tank in under the rear seat.

Wonder if pump?

Could be , they usually run at constant speed.
Oh by the way,

G'Day Bradzin,

:i30:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Just a thought as well.

The audio unit, is it on but volume down so getting some noise from rear speakers, if fitted?

Offline Bradzin

• 1st Gear
Its definitely not the radio, the noise only appears when the engine is running. There is no noise with ignition turned on or with the radio either on or off. It also appears to be louder outside of the car, although it can be heard from the inside.

Is there anyway to test if it is the petrol pump, other than replacing it?

Its not an excessively loud noise, very much in the background and can't be heard with the radio on, or with a certain amount of road noise. Is it just the normal running sound of the pump?
  • i30 2008

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Is there anyway to test if it is the petrol pump, other than replacing it?

Can you get someone to sit in back, put seat cushion up so just floor area exposed and for them to try and pinpoint whether noise from tank area or other area below car.

Offline Bradzin

• 1st Gear
Just had a good listen with the seats up as you suggested.

It seems to be loudest in the centre.

Under the seats there was a panel that could be unscrewed, which I took off. I could hear the noise more loudly then but it did not seem to be coming from the thing that was under the panel, but somewhere else under the car, just forward of this.
  • i30 2008

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just had a good listen with the seats up as you suggested.

It seems to be loudest in the centre.

Under the seats there was a panel that could be unscrewed, which I took off. I could hear the noise more loudly then but it did not seem to be coming from the thing that was under the panel, but somewhere else under the car, just forward of this.

Sounds like the fuel pump... Don't have a smoke while you inspect it..  :whistler:

Offline Bradzin

• 1st Gear

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Are they easy/cheap to replace?

Not sure, if it's still working ok I wouldn't bother... @tw2005 , @nzenigma  or @cruiserfied should have some idea...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
OK, thanks
Assume you don't have a wasp nest under the seat?  :whistler:
The suggested fuel pump is under the rear seat,  :confused: if so, tilt the seat forward and lift the carpet to check.
The steering knock will almost certainly be the $5 bush in the column. It will get worse over the next year. Do a search here then find a mechanic who has replaced them before; or do it your self.  NOT a dealer; = $$$$$
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Bradzin

• 1st Gear
Definitely no bees!

It is coming from somewhere under the seat, difficult to pinpoint exactly where. It can be heard more loudly outside the vehicle.

Not sure if a buzz is the right way to describe it, its like a high pitched hum.
  • i30 2008

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Definitely no bees!

It is coming from somewhere under the seat, difficult to pinpoint exactly where. It can be heard more loudly outside the vehicle.

Not sure if a buzz is the right way to describe it, its like a high pitched hum.

Ok had a busy day so now notice your enquiry about the thing under the back seat.
The white plastic unit under the cover is the fuel pump.
Yes its easy to replace, just the remove the electrical connection and the two pipe/hoses. You push in a tab on the side of each connection and pull it free.
Undo the 8mm bolts around the top of the pump and lift it out of the tank.
You can buy new or on ebay, or simply get one from a wrecker. They are not usually faulty so a 2nd hand unit is a cheap option.

You could check the location of the buzzing by running the car and briefly disconnect then reconnect the electrical connection on the pump. Buzz should immediately stop and start as you do that.
If buzz continues , expect to be stung :D
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Re the steering rattle, the steering bushes in the early i30s were made of a poor composition material and eventually broke down. Its not dangerous, just gets louder and easier to detect the source. But you still get stories about uni-joint failure etc.etc.
Not sure about UK, but there was a recall to replace them, so check that out.
You will find plenty of guidance on the subject here, be guided by my posts that advise that the job can be done in a few hours, so a 1000 quid quote will be a rort.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal