i30 Owners Club

Touch Screen accuracy contact way out - GD series

pidim · 21 · 5428

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all

Not sure if this has ever happened to anyone.  I have noticed that the 7" touchscreen accuracy on my GD Elite is way out on the capacitive touch accuracy - especially around the top right hand side.  For example, if I press a letter on the nav or a telephone number, it activates the number below.  It's real pain.

My car is a 2012 GD Elite, so its now just out of warranty (end June) but I realise that headunit only has 3 year warranty.  Has this happened to anyone else? 

Also, I can't recall, but was there some process that required the initial set up to calibrate the touch accuracy by getting you to touch various points on the screen before setting up the infotainment system?

Greatly appreciate anyone's help or advice on this.  I have tried the reset button but it's always the same regardless of whether I use the Nav or phone, audio etc..

:(

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
To set the touch screen calibration go to - Setup/General/Screen calibration

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
that's odd, as I don't "General" in my settings tab.  All I have is as per image below and checked in all of those. 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Your system is slightly different to mine by the looks of it, try looking under the screen tab or system, surely it has to be there somewhere :undecided:

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
"Display" tab only has low , medium, high brightness settings.  Any chance you can show what your screen menu looks like?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mines a different unit to yours (5" screen non satnav) so menus are different.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hmmm just my luck. I wonder if there's any other calibration possible with the 7" units?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Someone else must have an early Elite model so hopefully they'll be able to assist.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Have booked car in for Wed morning at dealer.  Given that I'm now out of warranty, I hope that this does not become a painful ($) experience.  They reckon they are going to do a firmware upgrade hmmmm. I felt that person on the phone was just trying to get me booked in, somehow.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Have booked car in for Wed morning at dealer.  Given that I'm now out of warranty, I hope that this does not become a painful ($) experience.  They reckon they are going to do a firmware upgrade hmmmm. I felt that person on the phone was just trying to get me booked in, somehow.

Fingers crossed. Might be worth mentioning you want a call if not "complimentary" ...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah I think I might do that, but actually I was planning to wait in the showroom, in case I got the dreaded "no fault found" by telephone :)

I have also gone back to the dealer I purchased from in the hope that I can take them up on the "if you service your car with us, you get a total of 8 years warranty" despite the headunit having a 3 yr warranty.

I really cannot see how a firmware upgarde would fix this issue but anyway let's see.  If they replace the headunit, do they put in refurb units or new ones and what happens with maps in this case?  I think I will take a photo of my map edition to ensure I don't go backwards.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think usually it's a refurb. Good idea about the photo. :goodjob:

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Well... what an eventful morning

Took my car to the dealer this morning and explained the problem. 

Dealer:  Hmm looks like there is a more recent firmware for this unit.  We can try that if you like, otherwise it will cost $1500 for a new one:

Me:  There's no way I'm paying that. Update the firmware and if that does not do anything, then don't worry about it, I'll live with it as is

Dealer:  That will be $66 for the update.

Me:  What for?  If there is a firmware update, it means there is a manufacturer error which has been recognised that needs fixing. Why should I pay?  Anyway, I agreed to the payment.

2 hours pass.....

Dealer:  The firmware upgrade did not work and the unit no longer works.  We are going to have to order a new one and the price is $1500.

Me:  "Are you f...ing kidding me.  You bricked my AV system and you want me to pay for it?" "I brought you a working unit and you effed it up and want to charge me for it?" 

Dealer:  Okay let me talk to my boss

Me: No, I want to talk to your boss, you need better training.

Dealer: Comes back and tells me they rang Hyundai and they agreed to provide a brand new unit and include the labour cost but will take a few weeks to come in

Me:  "I want a copy of the Hyundai agreement because you will all pretend not to remember the agreement when I start chasing up the ETA of the new AV unit.

Well anyway, that's where it is now.. I'm driving around with a bricked AV unit for the next few weeks.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmmm. A mixed result.. with a possible promising outcome. Thanks for the update (please keep us posted) :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That dealer sounds like a bit of a scammer  :disapp: fingers crossed for you :Good_luck:
If they don't want to play nice in the future then report them to Hyundai Australia, they'll sort em out.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think I'll report them to Hyundai regardless of the outcome.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all, just thought I would close off this topic and advise that I had my AV media system replaced today with a brand new unit. Installation quality was faultless and I was a little anxious about damage they may have been caused to interior trim.  The new unit is excellent and I also got the 2016 Q3 maps.

Made sure everything worked before I drove out eg; touch screen quality (of course), rear camera and guidelines were fine, bluetooth connection and streaming etc.

Good result (phew!).  :)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Brilliant.Well done for insisting you are not paying for a new one. Good outcome. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:cool!: thanks for letting us know.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal