i30 Owners Club

i30 GD Rear Caliper Fault?

wbm00 · 20 · 10028

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
At the first year health check, I reported that the brakes seemed to be binding when warm - when allowing the vehicle to roll to a stop, it felt as if the brakes were still being lightly applied. This was combined with the rear wheels having more brake dust than the fronts. The dealership said there was no issue found.

At the second year service the vehicle was under 20,000 miles and under 2 years old - therefore within the warranty period. Again the problem was reported and logged without replication by the dealership.

The third year health check was carried out this week. They requested around £295 (price only given verbally) to replace the rear discs and pads as the Hyundai warranty only lasts for two years. Yet it is unclear what the root cause is and whether that will be resolved by simply replacing discs and pads.

In what circumstances would rear brakes be 50% worn when the fronts are only 30% worn? Calipers?

I've found evidence of a recall (http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=i30&modelName=i30&makeName=Hyundai&makeId=B6) but this only applies to i30s built over two years earlier.

I'd be grateful for what the best course of action should be as reasonable steps were taken to report this problem at the first instance. At this stage, no warranty claim has been submitted to Hyundai by the dealership.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Did you check if your VIN is outside the range listed? If you need help finding your vin, enter your reg in here and click "find my BMW" (it finds more than just BMWs)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
If you have proof that you have reported a problem twice then it is a pre-existing claim and that should be the end of iit.  Go and get your FREE 20 minutes with a solicitor.

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Thanks - just checked the VIN and it's not part of a recall campaign.

At the second year service the report says, "Vehicle intermittently not rolling to a stop naturally as if brakes binding - Fault not experienced during road testing & brakes free on examination during service - Please demonstrate if fault persists."

The dealership chain has since changed ownership and they claimed to therefore have 'no records' from before the change to prove the fault had indeed been previously reported.

Although in the alleged absence of such records, they appear to have retained my contact phone number, postal and email details for ongoing sales campaigns.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: wbm00
Although in the alleged absence of such records, they appear to have retained my contact phone number, postal and email details for ongoing sales campaigns.

Spooky how that always happens :scared:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi wbm00,

I find these types of situations very frustrating ( so I can feel your pain)

"No fault found" has to be the worst excuse ever... Wouldn't work with SHMBO  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is the reported request detailed on the paperwork provided at 1st service as well?

If so then i would ask the dealer to submit a warranty claim due to it being reported and still "open".

Even if not detailed you have 2nd request.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi wbm00.
You have supplied us with evidence that the fault was reported. I would use it to push your claim with the dealership. If in fact they have lost the old records, they simply have no means to defend themselves, not the means to absolve themselves. You have the advantage.

Regarding disc and pad replacement, that does not resolve the high wear problem .
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Spoke with the dealership to explain the points above. It appears that the reference to the 2 year/20,000 mile period refers to the 'brake linings' only. If the root cause is the calipers, they suggested that the 5 year warranty applies. I made it quite clear that in any case, the issue was documented by his colleague while the vehicle was within 2 years/20,000 miles and quoted the comments from my post above.

Looks like they're more inclined to go down the warranty claim route, which is a pleasant change from yesterday. They volunteered that rear pads/discs should not wear out at this rate -  typical wear is around 70:30 front:rear.

They'd like to see the vehicle again next week for a full day with a loan vehicle provided. It appears there wasn't time to diagnose the root cause yesterday which raises the question - why ask the customer to pay for new discs and pads without a diagnosis?

Looks like progress is being made - thanks for your support & I will update as this progresses next week.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

They'd like to see the vehicle again next week for a full day with a loan vehicle provided. It appears there wasn't time to diagnose the root cause yesterday which raises the question - why ask the customer to pay for new discs and pads without a diagnosis?

Going for a ........ Double charge....... customer and warranty!

But just reading their comment then they should not of said what they said if they had not had time to diagnose the cause.

Make you wonder whether they actually bothered to diagnose and just said what they would have 'normally' expected from the wear shown....

Just hope they present the correct facts to hy so fingers crossed for correct outcome although that shouldn't be necessary.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The old squeaky wheel getting the oil syndrome. It's sad you have to "harp" sometimes to get the service you deserve.

Sounds promising, let's hope they follow through with a thorough diagnosis and permanent fix!  :undecided:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Update - the dealership had the vehicle for a full day. Both rear calipers were diagnosed as faulty and replaced under warranty along with rear discs and pads. View of the new rear assembly through the wheel:

If anyone wants to test this on their vehicle - when the brakes are warm/hot, simply allow the vehicle to roll to a stop without applying brakes. If you sense a slight jolt as it stops moving, have it investigated. During the course of my own research I came across this long thread relating to Hyundai brake problems - may be of use to someone here in the future perhaps:

:link: Hyundai Brake and Warranty Problems - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

I remain puzzled as to what actually caused this on an i30 that is under 25,000 miles and under three years old. Why only the rear ones? Why both and not just one?

Sincere thanks to you all for your reassurance and advice - very much appreciated. :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great news! Thanks for the update, link and photo. :goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi wbm00,
Good to hear that the problem reported 2 years ago has been diagnosed and repairs undertaken.
Persistence  paid off.  :happydance:
No doubt you'll do your checks again over the next few months just in case.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
:link: Hyundai I remain puzzled as to what actually caused this on an i30 that is under 25,000 miles and under three years old. Why only the rear ones? Why both and not just one?

Sincere thanks to you all for your reassurance and advice - very much appreciated. :goodjob:

Great result  :goodjob2:
Thanks for coming back, we appreciate members feedback and can learn valuable lessons, given that we are trying to apply our practical experience ( or impractical guesswork  :whistler: ) to your descriptions.

One thing is clear to me, the underside of cars in the Northern hemisphere cop hell from snow ice and probably worse, pollution!
Currently, Im working on two Ozzie 2010 i30s that have done 100,000Km and 180,000 Km respectively. Underneath, they have little more than light road dust. No rust that breaks Northern springs, jams hubs and callipers etc . and has fuel tanks falling off the car.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Great that its resolved! You should paint the new calipers while there still clean metal! :)

The rear brakes are used a lot less, so the glide pins get less movement(both frequency and range) and are more prone to premature failiure under normal driving conditions. A good hard break every now and then to really activate the rear brakes and some new lube on the pins every year keeps them in good working order, this should be a annual service item... but ive never ever seen it on a service report.
Fronts always take the brunt of braking so they are kept well excersized.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Great outcome. Another win for collaboration and common sense. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Unfortunately the problem has returned. As before, the dealership took the vehicle in and were unable to replicate the fault despite my guidance that the brakes should be warm/hot for the issue to occur. The fault was present on the drive home from the dealership.

I plan to have the vehicle serviced outside the Hyundai dealership network. A fourth year service involves the replacement of engine oil, filters (x3), brake fluid and iridium spark plugs (which seems early since only 30k miles have been covered, but if it's warranty dependent, so be it).

As long as the correct parts are used (of OEM quality, not HY branded) the warranty is unaffected; this has been confirmed by Hyundai UK. Perhaps a non-Hyundai garage will be able to throw some light on the underlying cause of the recurring fault...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unfortunately the problem has returned. As before, the dealership took the vehicle in and were unable to replicate the fault despite my guidance that the brakes should be warm/hot for the issue to occur. The fault was present on the drive home from the dealership.
How annoying is that!  :twisted:

The issue obviously didn't look them in the eye or bite them on the bum!  :fum:

Hopefully if you buy your oils and filters and plugs etc on special somewhere you may save enough to offset any additional costs associated with the brake issue.  :undecided:

If they identify an issue get them to document it and then show the dealer the assessment and cost. Even if they don't reimburse you hopefully they might feel some shame.  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
...unable to replicate the fault despite ....

Mate, I believe that  the above phrase is written into every Hyundai policy and workshop manual.   :spitty:

Check our running battle with them over the PD start failures.     :crazy1:

I don't understand how the Hyundai HQ hierarchy can oversee the production of these brilliant cars and then foist such stupid, inept, untruthful and untrained dealerships upon their customers.

My advice as always, do your homework , go independent with an experienced mechanic.

END OF RANT  100

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal