Dusty seats

Dazzler · 34 · 7068

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
In my european 1.4 T-DGI I have some of the features that surprisingly you guys don't t have on the better equipped SR, like passenger seat with height adjustment and LED side markings.

Things I don't like at my PD, but one can easily live with, are the upholstery that has too much dust in it, the sometimes quite invasive ESP and the lack of rear air vents in middle of the armrest.

Other than that, well done Hyundai, overall, you did a great job with the new i30!
How do you mean too much dust in upholstery? 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Everytime I go in and I rest on the seat, looks like there's a considerable amount of dust coming out of it. Like, let's say it's a 4-5 years old car that gathered some along the years.  As an example, I vacuumed the previous i30 3-4 times a year, as I keep my interiors quite neatly. But this one, has to be vacuumed every other week and still has a lot of powder in the cloth. And it's so easy to spot on the piano black surfaces and the upper part of the dashboard. Please note, I never drive with the window open, as I always keep the climate control on AUTO (22.5 Celsius), no matter the season.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Everytime I go in and I rest on the seat, looks like there's a considerable amount of dust coming out of it. Like, let's say it's a 4-5 years old car that gathered some along the years.  As an example, I vacuumed the previous i30 3-4 times a year, as I keep my interiors quite neatly. But this one, has to be vacuumed every other week and still has a lot of powder in the cloth. And it's so easy to spot on the piano black surfaces and the upper part of the dashboard. Please note, I never drive with the window open, as I always keep the climate control on AUTO (22.5 Celsius), no matter the season.

That's weird in a new car? Never heard of that before! Can't say I've noticed it in mine..

Aussie ones are from a different factory. I wonder if there is an issue with the foam/padding in the euro made seats??

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Me neither... and I blame the foam/padding too. Only thing I can do is to lay my arse gently on the seat, not to disturb the power!
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Me neither... and I blame the foam/padding too. Only thing I can do is to lay my arse gently on the seat, not to disturb the power!

I think it needs investigating when you get your next service. Could almost be considered a health hazard!  :crazy1:

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti

I think it needs investigating when you get your next service. Could almost be considered a health hazard!  :crazy1:
Hmm, never thought about that!
Can I get the new i30 N as compensation for inhaling the toxic powder that can affect my health?! 🤣🤣🤣
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
That seat dust issue is weird. It would drive my obsessive compulsive mind in to a real spin  :crazy1:  :crazy1:  hope you get it sorted.

It would be great to have seat / mirror memory for different drivers.  It is available in EU and I assume Korea, but to in AU.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That shouldn't be happening.
There's something seriously wrong.
If it was happening in all or many European cars it'd be well publicised by now.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmm, never thought about that!
Can I get the new i30 N as compensation for inhaling the toxic powder that can affect my health?! 🤣🤣🤣

:Yeah: :crazy1: :mrgreen:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
collect a lot of the dust and get it analyzed :Shocked:....

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
...the upholstery that has too much dust in it...
I'm imagining slapping the upholstery and clouds of dust rising out of it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
...the upholstery that has too much dust in it...
I'm imagining slapping the upholstery and clouds of dust rising out of it.
Something like that!
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine collects a lot of dust on the outside, but will be interested to see where this goes!

@MIY

You could get seat covers, but you shouldn't have to!  :undecided:

You shouldn't have to pay to get the dust analized either!

I would go and show the dealer asap and if no joy contact Hyundai.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Who knows, you might unknowingly be driving around with seats full of smuggled cocaine :Shocked: :crazy2: :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Who knows, you might unknowingly be driving around with seats full of smuggled cocaine :Shocked: :crazy2: :D

He is a bit euphoric about his new car!  :snigger:

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Update!
Just got rid of temporary number plates today and I got my preferential ones, reason why, beside washing the car, I decided to do something about the dust in my seats. So I've beaten them with my palms, until nothing came out of them. Then I rigorously vacuum them and looks like there's no powder coming out anymore. I hope I solved the problem, but I'll keep observing them a week or so and I'll let you guys know.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Update!
Just got rid of temporary number plates today and I got my preferential ones, reason why, beside washing the car, I decided to do something about the dust in my seats. So I've beaten them with my palms, until nothing came out of them. Then I rigorously vacuum them and looks like there's no powder coming out anymore. I hope I solved the problem, but I'll keep observing them a week or so and I'll let you guys know.

That was one way to fix it! I hope you wore a mask!  :eek: Still very ood though. Shame you couldn't have got someone to video the dust coming out while you did it!  :idea: Why didn't I suggest that earlier!  :head_butt:

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Update!

That was one way to fix it! I hope you wore a mask!  :eek:
I did it outdoors with all doors open. No mask
I wanted to take some pictures but my wife had my phone at that particular moment...
Then, I had a lot of dust to clean from the rest of the interior.
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So unusual it would just have been interesting to see the extent of it.  :cool:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I hope you wore a mask!  :

Why would he want to hide his identity?.... :snigger:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I hope you wore a mask!  :

Why would he want to hide his identity?.... :snigger:
So as not to frighten the wildlife? :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Not sure why...but this thread somehow reminds me of a conversation that I once had with an elderly furniture upholsterer.

True story....

He swore that the worst job that he had ever undertaken as an upholsterer was the one that he undertook re-upholstering each seat in an old movie theatre..

He claimed that with each and every one...whenever he cut the old material in order to remove it from the seat, the residue of the multitude of farts that previous patrons sitting there over the decades was released.. :scared: :Shocked:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:00:25 by Paolo5 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:eek: :rofl:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Good job nobody lit a match. :rofl:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Good job nobody lit a match. :rofl:

It is most likely the reason that ushers (remember them??) started to use a torch.. :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Not sure why...but this thread somehow reminds me of a conversation that I once had with an elderly furniture upholsterer.

True story....

He swore that the worst job that he had ever undertaken as an upholsterer was the one that he undertook re-upholstering each seat in an old movie theatre..

He claimed that with each and every one...whenever he cut the old material in order to remove it from the seat, the residue of the multitude of farts that previous patrons sitting there over the decades was released.. :scared: :Shocked:

The Capitol Theatre in Coolangatta on the Gold Coast had slung canvas seats.
There's have been more than fart residue in them.  :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Remember,
 no matter how bad the smell, keep your mouth closed and breathe through your nose, 
that way it can't condense on your tongue ! :mrgreen:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Remember,
 no matter how bad the smell, keep your mouth closed and breathe through your nose, 
that way it can't condense on your tongue ! :mrgreen:

:rofl: :crazy2: I will have to remember that...

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

The Capitol Theatre in Coolangatta on the Gold Coast had slung canvas seats.
There's have been more than fart residue in them.  :whistler:

I don't wanna :head_butt: know....

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Looks like the dust or whatever those small particles are, is back in my seats. Just washed the car yesterday and before vacuuming the interior, I noticed that it comes dust when I hit the seats with my palm. Not that much as last time, but... Again... Maybe it's the upholstery or the foam under it that generates it, really don't know. It can not be from outside, since the car runs with the windows closed at all times and climate on AUTO. And visiting the dealer, won't get me an explanation, for sure!
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal