Cycling: Groups call for action on 'car-dooring'

eye30 · 20 · 4108

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A campaign to raise awareness of "car-dooring" is needed to save lives on Britain's roads, Cycling UK has said.

The campaign group says cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians are being injured and killed by drivers and their passengers carelessly opening doors.

It wants the Dutch reach - which involves opening doors with the "wrong" hand - to be taught to new drivers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41219977
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline andsome

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK
It is certainly a problem.  But so is the number of cyclists riding three or more abreast. Another problem with cyclists is riding on the footpath, especially when as most do these days, have no audible warning.  We have also had a problem when walking along a path in the countryside when cyclists come whizzing past again with no audible warning.  It should be compulsory to have a bell fitted or a small horn. Also there are far too many cyclists riding without lights and expecting motorists somehow to see them.  Rant over.   :disapp:
  • Not driving at present on medical grounds

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I have a bell on my bike and most of the time when i ding it the pedestrians take no notice or if they do  they then walk across my path, no pun intended and have had a few near misses!!

Dog walkers are the best....... dog on lead.......they walk towards dog......dog walks towards master...... so they hsve just crossed sides........ i'm approaching with lead across path...... wham..........dog and master panic........

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Bells are a legal requirement over here.
The only trouble with them is if you have high frequency hearing loss, you can't hear them.
Our paths, at least in Qld, are designated as "shared pathways" but given the number of elderly people walking, a bell is probably not the best option.
When I ride a shared pathway, I get right off it to go around pedestrians.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline andsome

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The only trouble with them is if you have high frequency hearing loss, you can't hear them.
Our paths, at least in Qld, are designated as "shared pathways" but given the number of elderly people walking, a bell is probably not the best option.

In uk here is the law per the Highway code.

The Highway Code does not stipulate that bells must be used, but rather suggests that cyclists ‘be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians, letting them know you are there when necessary, for example by ringing your bell.’

Any other ‘audible warning device’, such as a whistle or the human voice would do. A polite ‘excuse me’ can often come across as a lot less aggressive than the insistent tinkling of a bell or the blare of a horn.

Also, and i question this particular requirement re sale of bikes,

Is it the law to have a bell on a bicycle?

No – it’s desirable, but not a legal requirement. Bikes at the point of sale have to be fitted with bells, but there is no law saying they must be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display.

And,

Essentially the only items of equipment that must be fitted to legally ride a bike on British roads are brakes and lights, lights between the hours of sunset and sunrise, otherwise  just brakes.

Offline andsome

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What is a Qld? :D
It's short for Queer Old guy.
Oh. Wait.  :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

hi Trev must be a state law?
my new bike does not have a bell fitted, a just call out passing and people around these parts move over and smile, I thank them,
when I had a bell I used it once an a fat chick with a big tribe of kids ignored it then made out like would back hand me. but probably a tourist
all our group have insurance & ride with others in mind, like if your going to stop you call out stopping and so on as no brake lights but we have tail lights flashing. I have a head light for early and late rides but sun is up by 6 am ( will have to start day light saving soon I think)
in all my years of riding pushy and mc's, and driving and walking. I have never hit a car door or had anyone hit mine when opening it I always look first.
might be luck?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@Lakes 

:link: Accessories for your Bike ? Bicycle NSW

Bad boy, John

I feel like rusty looking this up.  :-[

However, reading this it mentions an exclusion for power assisted bikes. You might be OK, John.
:link: Are you legal in Australia? - Cycling-Inform
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 23:25:27 by Surferdude »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I copped a car door once when I was in high school.
Coming home from school along the beach front at Kirra with a strong southerly wind behind me. The local dry cleaner delivery van stopped and the driver opened his door.
Had there been any traffic I'd be dead. I went over the handlebars and slid out into the middle of the road. Bike stopped, wedged in the door. My school bag came off the rack and ended up in the caravan park on the other side of the road.
No skin off worth noting bit a massive lump on my thigh where I hit the leading edge of the door en passant.
Looking back, I reckon I would have been doing about 25 mph.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee Trevor that was a bit nasty. Always hard to know if you should call that lucky or unlucky in that case. Probably lucky in hindsight!

If I get a bike I reckon I'll just get a normal one as most bike tracks I would ride on will be fairly level and sealed. Probably be good for my Parkinsons too. Now I have a hatch might consider it.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Gee Trevor that was a bit nasty. Always hard to know if you should call that lucky or unlucky in that case. Probably lucky in hindsight!

If I get a bike I reckon I'll just get a normal one as most bike tracks I would ride on will be fairly level and sealed. Probably be good for my Parkinsons too. Now I have a hatch might consider it.
The driver was the uncle of a kid in my class too. In fact I had a beer with him about 18 months ago. We still keep in contact. (The kid, not the uncle)
My bike always fitted into the back of my FD hatch no trouble either.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
A few years ago a guy at work opened the door on a cyclist,  teded the door and  the guy had a broken arm. Driver was charged and fined. Must say I was more vigilant after that.

Prior to first shoulder injury,
I used to take our kelpie out for a ride, lead in left hand  at all times.
I  switched the brake cables over to use rear brake.
Really helped to have a dog that understands LEFT, RIGHT, STOP.
The local bmx track was a favorite of hers .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
I used to have an old rubber bulb horn, very loud and effective, would like to get another but hard to find these days.
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I used to have an old rubber bulb horn, very loud and effective, would like to get another but hard to find these days.

Your welcome..(postage a bit steep though)

:link: Bicycle Bike Cycling Air Horn Hooter Bell Classic Rubber Squeeze Bulb LOUD | eBay

Oh hang on! this is better!

:link: Bicycle Bike Vintage Style Air Horns Hooter Bell Rubber Squeeze Rubber Bulb LOUD | eBay

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Different! :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal