i30 Owners Club

DIY painting wheels info!?

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia
Hey guys, thinking about buying a set of 18inch 2016 veloster wheels for my PD i30 Sr. Before putting them on though I'd like to black them out. Perhaps spray painting them.
I wanted to know if anyone has good experience in the past doing so and what the durability is like long term?

I've done it in the past with my old Toyota Celica's wheels and I was amazed with such a good result for about a week. After that it got dirty and became very hard to clean. Became grimy and "ashy". Admittedly I didn't apply primer or clear coat to finish. Will these two extra steps make that much a difference?

Im hoping for a gloss black finish. Some photos attached to what I'm looking at buying and what I'm hoping it will end up looking like.

Thanks guys

• 2017 Hyundai i30 SR Manual (Sunroof) PD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I cannot see the images - my computer Malwarebytes flags them up as malicious.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Mate, I'm a tight arse, but with wheels I'd probably fork out for powder coating or a professional two pack finish. If you shop around you might be surprised how cheap it will be. I am fairly confident with spray painting stuff and if it was a 5 year old car I would probably do it myself and definitely finish with  couple of coats of clear, but worth the extra maybe $50 a wheel to have it done properly.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm not usually a fan of painted wheels, but that glossy black looks classy.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Alan you'll have to make exclusions in Malwarebytes web shield to not block imgbb.com, or disable the web shield and refresh the page to view.

Another option is to report the issue to the Malwarebytes team but they'll likely retain the block to stop images calling home.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Plasti dip them, very easy to do and if you don't like it then it simply peels off :) Autobarn stock all the colours :goodjob2:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I have been looking at buying some secondhand Veloster turbo wheels for my PD SR too. Some guys have plasticdip their Veloster alloys on other forums before with good results.
 I beleive finish is always down to preparation & DIY skill level. wheels have to be spotlessly clean, no dust etc. you can always peel it off if you don't like the results.
professional spraying is probably the best. You will also need to changeover the TPMS sensors & valve stems too
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:10:17 by Crustycottage »
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan you'll have to make exclusions in Malwarebytes web shield to not block imgbb.com, or disable the web shield and refresh the page to view.

Another option is to report the issue to the Malwarebytes team but they'll likely retain the block to stop images calling home.

Thanks Craig - that worked.

After all that trouble - I don't like the black wheels.... :snigger:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia
Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely would prefer getting them professionally done sprayed or powder coated but all the quotes I got were roughly $180-$200 a wheel which is why I'm considering doing it myself  :fum:
If anyone can recommend a place in Melbourne that can do it a lot cheaper than that please let me know!

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia
I have been looking at buying some secondhand Veloster turbo wheels for my PD SR too. Some guys have plasticdip their Veloster alloys on other forums before with good results.
 I beleive finish is always down to preparation & DIY skill level. wheels have to be spotlessly clean, no dust etc. you can always peel it off if you don't like the results.
professional spraying is probably the best. You will also need to changeover the TPMS sensors & valve stems too

If I'm changing over the wheels and they are exactly the same size, putting on the factory there's on them will that affect the TPMS sensors? How do they work/get adjusted?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have moved wheels around on my present car and the car still detects the sensors in the correct locations.

I am guessing that there is a receiver near each wheel to pick up the signal.

Can one of our techies please explain how they work..... :workitout:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 16:13:11 by AlanHo »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Being that you have to buy the Velostor rims then get painted it might be cheaper to buy some new gloss black wheels like Advanti brand or similar from $160-$180 each :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Being that you have to buy the Velostor rims then get painted it might be cheaper to buy some new gloss black wheels like Advanti brand or similar from $160-$180 each :undecided:

Good Point!

Thanks for the advice guys. I definitely would prefer getting them professionally done sprayed or powder coated but all the quotes I got were roughly $180-$200 a wheel which is why I'm considering doing it myself  :fum:
If anyone can recommend a place in Melbourne that can do it a lot cheaper than that please let me know!

That surprises me. Wages and overheads are less in Tasmania so things are generally a bit cheaper to get done down here (especially if you know the person) No smart comments guys..  :evil:

At that price per wheel I would definitely be doing them myself (or doing what Craig suggested above)

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia

Realized that but I was really trying to get Hyundai wheels so as to not be completely ostentatious. Hoping to pick up a pair of Veloster wheels cheap-ish and I've just got quotes back for powdercoating for $100 a wheel. Fingers crossed I'll pay about $1k all said and done fitted onto the car which I think is pretty good.
Will keep you guys updated with what track I go down  :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I presume you have checked that the Veloster wheels have the same offset and stud fixing as your i30?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

$100 per wheel is more like it! I was working on an extra $50 per wheel (over the cost of spraying them yourself with good quality paints and clear coat) with masking tape etc.. it would have cost you a few bucks.

Look forward to hearing/seeing what you do. The best thing about the stock SR wheels is they are the only part of my car that doesn't show the dirt!  :brilliant:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

If I'm changing over the wheels and they are exactly the same size, putting on the factory there's on them will that affect the TPMS sensors? How do they work/get adjusted?
[/quote]

What I mean is majority of secondhand Veloster wheels for sale won't have the TPmS fitted, as owners have already transferred them over to their new alloys. Some do with but most don't, and they need new valve stems to work if you swap your existing sensors over to new secondhand wheels. New TPMS sensors are pricey from Hyundai if you need them. I believe in my old Veloster there is a individual detector at each wheel for reading each sensor,
 I believe stud pattern is same and wheel offset is 4 mm different with 49mm &53mm.
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal