i30 Owners Club

Has anyone used Exhaust Wrap?

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

• Hyundai i30 2011 CRDi Automatic
Hi guys,
Has anybody used exhaust wrap on there Hyundai i30 1.6l CRDi. And if yes where? and was it worth it?
I have seen a lot of people use these wraps around exhaust headers, but on my car that's inaccessible, unless I lift the entire engine of course (impossible with the tools I have). So has anyone tried this product?
Many thanks in advance!
P.S. Here is a link of the product I am talking about :link: DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap - 2" X 50' Roll
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd never heard of it, but here's a link to what it does (for other members)
https://exhaustsystemsguide.com/exhaust-wrap/
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've used wrap in drag cars but don't think I'd bother on a standard vehicle.

Have fun trying to get it wrapped up :D

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Wow thanks Dazz.  :goodjob: 
 "You’ll get more horsepower because the wrap will keep exhaust heat in the headers instead of dissipating to other areas of your engine." :Shocked:

Yes, the more wrap you use, the more Hp. Imagine, a 500hp i30 could be yours.
 But wait , there's more!
 The first lucky callers will get.....:phone1:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 :lol: Be great for a Goggomobile. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow thanks Dazz.  :goodjob: 
 "You’ll get more horsepower because the wrap will keep exhaust heat in the headers instead of dissipating to other areas of your engine." :Shocked:

Yes, the more wrap you use, the more Hp. Imagine, a 500hp i30 could be yours.
 But wait , there's more!
 The first lucky callers will get.....:phone1:

Yeah I was "wrapped" when I read about it.. I didn't realise it came with steak knives.  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Wrapping exhausts does work in the right situations and is the cheaper option to ceramic coating (sometimes both together) but as I mentioned earlier I wouldn't bother on a standard vehicle, results would be a very minimal under bonnet temperature drop on a stock car and probably the only benefit.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :D If you read the two links, they appear to be written by the crowd that sells the elixir for life and miracle house cladding (both made from the same secret Amazon rain forest ingredients).
Apart from a reduced rocker cover temperature, there is no evidence presented that the average Joe would see any benefit;
especially, the assertion that keeping the heat in the manifold makes the exhaust gas flow better.  :spitty:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
especially, the assertion that keeping the heat in the manifold makes the exhaust gas flow better.  :spitty:
I didn't bother reading the links since the use of header heat wrap has been used for decades in racing and I'm quite familiar with it's abilities, the assertion is correct :) but it's not going to make enough difference on a standard vehicle.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Lots of bikes that are going for the custom look use the wrap.
I think it just covers up crappy old header pipes .
Obviously the "titanium" part was the brand name.

WOFTAM for sure.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I didn't bother reading the links since the use of header heat wrap has been used for decades in racing and I'm quite familiar with it's abilities, the assertion is correct :) but it's not going to make enough difference on a standard vehicle.

Agree. :goodjob: But (in the dragster world) what is the applied scientific theory / evidence regarding it making the exhaust gas flow better?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The scientific evidence I guess you'll find out there on the net but the basis of it is keeping the heat better contained within the header as hotter air will vortex more efficiently and flow faster.

Keeping the under bonnet temperatures down also helps keep the fuel cooler but again more relative to race cars looking for specific air/fuel temps.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:35:08 by CraigB »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
There's the basic principle of keeping your incoming air as cold as possible, since cold air is dense air. The denser the air, the more oxygen you're feeding the combustion process. By concentrating the heat within the exhaust manifold and minimising the heat leakage using the wrap, you're giving the inlet manifold and surroung intake path the best chance at a colder environment. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
There's the basic principle of keeping your incoming air as cold as possible, since cold air is dense air. The denser the air, the more oxygen you're feeding the combustion process. By concentrating the heat within the exhaust manifold and minimising the heat leakage using the wrap, you're giving the inlet manifold and surrounding intake path the best chance at a colder environment. :victory:

Thanks Gonz and Craig :goodjob2: That's also why we use intercoolers .

The scientific evidence I guess you'll find out there on the net but the basis of it is keeping the heat better contained within the header as hotter air will vortex more efficiently and flow faster.

This seems to counter that claim. :link: Gas Viscosity Change with Temperature - Department of Physics | Montana State University

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Intercooler isn't going to help much in non forced induction engines now is it ;) and even the people who do use intercoolers can still get further reduced temperature benefits from heat wrapping.

The linked display Isnt related in any way, heating the pipe of a low pressure gas flow to demonstrate post combustion changes are different to fuel that has already been through the combustion process and now needs to escape under pressure.

After racing drag cars for many years one tends to pick up some usable knowledge, some through theory and a lot through trial and error  :)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
We are debating two scenarios high performance and domestic use motors . Regarding cool air the Intercooler comment simply supports Gonz's explanation .

The linked display Isnt related in any way, heating the pipe of a low pressure gas flow to demonstrate post combustion changes are different to fuel that has already been through the combustion process and now needs to escape under pressure.

After racing drag cars for many years one tends to pick up some usable knowledge, some through theory and a lot through trial and error  :)

Unfortunately, your trials were full of error.  :happydance:
Yes, The wrap was cooling incoming fuel and air therefore more HP.
How did you separate the power increase from fuel and decide X% was due to exhaust gas flow?
What you have missed twice is the heated pipe theory.
There is a scientific explanation that precedes the demonstration: As gas is heated it becomes more volatile, therefore it will move faster. But as gas heats, its viscosity increases. This slows the flow rate.
 :faint:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm pretty sure our trials coincide with the rest of the racing industry.

That's why a well designed exhaust will help create extraction, all aspects combined generate a higher more efficient exhaust flow.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you read automotive performance specific topics you'll find information that supports what I already know from personal use :link: Guide to Exhaust Wraps & Ceramic coatings this example doesn't get into the science of it all but the evidence is out there and the proof is with those who've had practical use and thousands of hours of flow testing.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
doesn't get into the science of it all but the evidence is out there and the proof is with those who've had practical use and thousands of hours of flow testing.

With respect Craig, this is the same sort of discourse used by the global warming denialists. It is not evidence based, it simply repeats: "Because you are keeping the exhaust gases hotter you will find they flow better out of the engine". No proof provided.
Just because Bubba and Jethro had a fast run, does not make them scientists.
The link actually relates to the advantage of cold air input which we agree on.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Your Scepticism might change if you had any physical experience in the matter.

As I said earlier my proof is with actual use and justified by the whole racing industry who follow the same practice, real world tests over decades have proven the benefits but as fore mentioned it's all of little benefit in stock situations.

I'm out :head_butt:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 13:49:59 by CraigB »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Your Scepticism might change if you had any physical experience in the matter.

As I said earlier my proof is with actual use and justified by the whole racing industry who follow the same practice, real world tests over decades have proven the benefits but as fore mentioned it's all of little benefit in stock situations.

I'm out :head_butt:

Why assume that I don't have racing industry experience?  :whistler:
Your so called proof is premised upon repeating unsupported and out of context drivel that "hotter air will vortex more efficiently and flow faster".
And why is it drivel?  Because, when asked for the evidence to support a hotter exhaust creating greater HP ( relative to exhaust wrap) you said: "The scientific evidence I guess you'll find out there on the net".
As science is obviously not of interest to you, I looked , without bias, for some evidence to support your assumption.
The articles I found were to the contrary. eg. BS.

Out too.  :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just because you can't find the written documentation doesn't mean it's drivel, if you aren't going to take notice of why you're reading the same claims everywhere ( but no proof🙄 ) and also from someone who has firsthand experience then your intentions are really more just argumentative.

Maybe you could just ring and speak to a few different race engine companies as they usually flow test their own engines, hence they might even have that evidence you're so desperately in need of  :phone1: :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So much for 'out'. :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So much for 'out'. :lol:
:D

I'd just been up to one of the old drag racing buddies shops and he had a better explanation...

"By wrapping exhaust pipe with an exhaust insulation you reduce how much heat can radiate from an exhaust header pipe and exhaust tubing. You are retaining the thermal energy inside the exhaust system, this reduces the gas density. Thinner exhaust gas, improves exhaust gas velocity inside your exhaust system. This creates a scavenging effect that pulls intake gases through the system quicker, which helps to lower intake temperatures, creating more power."

He also confirms that documentation on the subject might be hard to come by though it's common knowledge in the industry so try contacting Keith Black :link: Keith Black Racing Engines who should have documented flow resistance charts.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd just been up to one of the old drag racing buddies shops and he had a better explanation...

"By wrapping exhaust pipe with an exhaust insulation you reduce how much heat can radiate from an exhaust header pipe and exhaust tubing. You are retaining the thermal energy inside the exhaust system, this reduces the gas density. Thinner exhaust gas, improves exhaust gas velocity inside your exhaust system. This creates a scavenging effect that pulls intake gases through the system quicker, which helps to lower intake temperatures, creating more power."

He must have read that from :link: Exhaust Wraps

How exhaust wraps work:

By wrapping exhaust pipe with an exhaust insulation you reduce how much heat can radiate from a wrapped header and exhaust tubing. You are retaining the thermal energy inside the exhaust system, this reduces the gas density. Thinner exhaust gas, improves exhaust gas velocity inside your exhaust system. This creates a scavenging effect that pulls intake gases through the system quicker, which helps to lower intake temperatures, creating more power.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
After this discussion developed I decided to wander the interwebs for a consensus and found the same thing. That makes it only the 3rd time I've read that today. :rofl:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
He must have read that from :link: Exhaust Wraps
Not sure which site Eddy got it from, he just printed that out for me and said it's correct, if they want more info contact Keith Black.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
After this discussion developed I decided to wander the interwebs for a consensus and found the same thing. That makes it only the 3rd time I've read that today. :rofl:

:D It gets repeated because its so full of concise data.

As would know Gonz, NASA's flight manual is Jules Verne's Journey to the Moon.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:D It gets repeated because its so full of concise data.

As would know Gonz, NASA's flight manual is Jules Verne's Journey to the Moon.

All I want is a bigger intercooler .

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
.....................then your intentions are really more just argumentative.
That's the basis of science. The best theories are tested by alternate proposition and argument. On that, they stand or fall. Consequently, many of us have abandoned the notion of a flat earth .  :mrgreen:

".... Thinner exhaust gas, improves exhaust gas velocity inside your exhaust system. ."

:rolleyes: The mass of the gas is the same hot or cold. The gas has been heated and pressurised in the combustion chamber.

"The temperature of a gas is a measure of the average translational kinetic energy of the molecules. In a hot gas, the molecules move faster than in a cold gas; the mass remains the same, but the kinetic energy, and hence the temperature, is greater because of the increased velocity of the molecules. " ( NASA)

It is asserted that increased molecular activity causes increased gas viscosity that inhibits flow. (See my uni link)

I'm out again  :sweating:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 21:42:04 by nzenigma »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal