i30 Owners Club

Auto Link module suddenly stopped working?

Mark70 · 11 · 8182

Offline Mark70

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
re: i30 PD with Auto Link (ODB connected bluetooth module)

Has anybody else's Auto Link suddenly stopped working after 13th October 2017?
Mine was working "fine" up until that date, and since then, no further comms.
When re-connecting to it, the module shows up and is selectable, but once selected, it can't communicate with the car, to read the VIN for example.
Fails bluetooth connectivity test, blue light doesn't illuminate on the module either.
  • MY2018, 2017, PD, Premium, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 Turbo, DCT, White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like the module has crapped itself, hopefully it’s an item that’s covered by the vehicle warranty  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mine still seems to be working but I'm getting some network unstable messages from time to time, which I'm guessing at their end? Maybe they need to upgrade their server to cope with all those now using it? But I realise that's another issue.

Would be super surprised if they didn't just send you another module F.O.C. Hopefully it's not the OBD input socket that's stuffed. That would be a bigger job I'm guessing. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

guest9517
Find a new bluetooth OBD dongle on ebay for 3£ incl P&P & try that with ex. the "Torque"-app. on your Android unit :-)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Find a new bluetooth OBD dongle on ebay for 3£ incl P&P & try that with ex. the "Torque"-app. on your Android unit :-)
I wouldn’t bother sourcing another dongle when Hyundai will likely replace the factory one.

Offline Mark70

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I had considered that maybe a recent update to the app might be what's causing the problem.  Ever since my phone upgraded itself to Android 8.0.0 the GPS tracking feature wasn't tracking "along the road", and instead only seemed to record point of origin and destination, and even that occasionally missed one or both of those data points...
I guessed they may have modified the app-side Bluetooth handling and just messed up.
  • MY2018, 2017, PD, Premium, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 Turbo, DCT, White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had considered that maybe a recent update to the app might be what's causing the problem.  Ever since my phone upgraded itself to Android 8.0.0 the GPS tracking feature wasn't tracking "along the road", and instead only seemed to record point of origin and destination, and even that occasionally missed one or both of those data points...
I guessed they may have modified the app-side Bluetooth handling and just messed up.

It's certainly possible. I had something similar happen with Android Auto where it stopped connecting to my phone for about a week and then my phone did another small update to something and the Android Auto is now working again.  :crazy1:

guest9517
Sorry, thought it was a standard OBD-dongle you had..But when your saying its a Hyundai-thing...I got no clue about what you guys talk about?  :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry, thought it was a standard OBD-dongle you had..But when your saying its a Hyundai-thing...I got no clue about what you guys talk about?  :snigger:

Hyundai have recently developed an App called Auto Link. The new Series 3 (PD) i30 comes with a free OBD dongle so they can spy on your driving habits..  :whistler:

Having never had an OBD dongle before not sure how the app compares with "torque" or others, but seems faily basic. Still appreciated the free dongle though.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
BUMP

I only realised a few months ago that you could actually add cost of fuel/litre and total cost but when trying to add this information, I keep getting an error message.  Any suggestions?  Should I uninstall and reinstall the app?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee I didn't know that.  I've pretty much given up on it . Only works occasionally for me. :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal