i30 Owners Club

Should I upgrade?

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all,

So I am kind of in a dilemma at the moment, and I would like to hear some opinions on what I should do. I purchased a 2016 Active X automatic early last year and spend about 3 hours in traffic every weekday and although I don't mind the convenience of an automatic, I do miss my stick shift.

I used to drive a manual ek4 civic back in 1998, then an ek9 civic then moved to an automatic Corolla which I didn't mind either.

I am wondering should I sell my 2016 Active X and opt for a manual or would this be something I will eventually regret being stuck with in traffic, on a good day it would take me about 1 hour to get from home to work and on a bad day/morning 1.5 hours each way to and from work. I would really love to also trade-in my active X and opt for the i30N next year but also in two minds about going under finance for that because I would be able to buy that car outright.

What would you guys do?
  • 2016 i30 Active X

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia
definitely a personal preference thing. for me i've always preferred manual, i've had an automatic car for the last 3 years and haven't complained too much as it a work owned car and i have zero expenses. i did, however, miss the proper driving experience and have got work to instead give me a car allowance instead of a fleet vehicle so I've bought a manual i30 SR. No regrets.

judging from review the i30N looks to be a great daily but also an amazing driver's car when you want to put it through its paces. would definitely recommend going the manual..but only if you dont mind sitting in traffic with a manual. it never bothered me.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 SR Manual (Sunroof) PD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I spent nearly 15 years working and living in Sydney, with company supplied automatics.

As much as you (and I as an ex rally driver) enjoy "rowing the boat", I wouldn't have a manual in Sydney.

When I retired I very quickly bought a manual. But for the next few years, back home in SE Qld I was still working part time and although it wasn't Sydney traffic, it was still heavy enough to make me wish sometimes for an auto.

Now, I'm fully retired I can totally enjoy the benefits of a manual gearchange.

Stick with the auto. Crawling for long distances in stop start conditions in a manual can be soul destroying.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Kev,

If you lived somewhere like Tassie I would say go for it, but not with your daily driving situation. 

Plus you will blow a heap of cash on a 12 month old car...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I loved my Terracan manual but a trip through Brisbane in peak traffic is the main reason I traded in for an auto.  :(
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Surferdude
Crawling for long distances in stop start conditions in a manual can be soul destroying

Not to mention clutch destroying.

It's been almost a week since I last drove a manual and boy do I miss it, though a couple of journeys over the weekend in bumper-to-bumper crawls put a wry smile on my face as my hybrid slinked forward while the traffic shuffled along.

Of course, none of the above is of any help to you kevystylez but I figured I'd say it anyway :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Looking at your situation and the responses, together with my "forever manual" preference, I'd say stick with the auto and get full value from your car until your situation changes. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline kevystylez

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks everyone! Didn't realise how sensible this forum is.. lol.

Kept me from spending more cash. Guess I would end up regretting stuck in traffic and the clutch wear. Guess I will keep my little ActiveX for a little while longer. Although when February comes, I can't help myself but see if a dealership will have the i30N just so I can have a test drive!
  • 2016 i30 Active X

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: kevystylez
Didn't realise how sensible this forum is..

It's a one-off, don't get used to it :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Kevy,
Sports automatic = using the + and - as required , or,  when the urge becomes too much  :evil:  :wink:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: Surferdude
Crawling for long distances in stop start conditions in a manual can be soul destroying

Not to mention clutch destroying.

It's been almost a week since I last drove a manual and boy do I miss it, though a couple of journeys over the weekend in bumper-to-bumper crawls put a wry smile on my face as my hybrid slinked forward while the traffic shuffled along.

Of course, none of the above is of any help to you kevystylez but I figured I'd say it anyway :)
Any pictures yet on the new motor?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal