i30 Owners Club

130 diesel 2010 - Heater Control

Offline MICHAEL MCGOVERN

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WESTERN AUSTRALIA
CAN ANYONE ADVISE IF THE HOT WATER SUPPLY FROM ENGINE CAN BE TURNED OFF FROM HEATER/AIR CON UNIT?
I APPEAR TO BE GETTING WARM AIR FROM FACIA EVEN WHEN HEATER IS AT LOWEST SETTING.  ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:02:05 by tw2005 »
  • HYUNDAI I30 DIESEL 2010

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
CAN ANYONE ADVISE IF THE HOT WATER SUPPLY FROM ENGINE CAN BE TURNED OFF FROM HEATER/AIR CON UNIT?
I APPEAR TO BE GETTING WARM AIR FROM FACIA EVEN WHEN HEATER IS AT LOWEST SETTING.  ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Someone got the magic eraser out. No, my understanding these days it's all flap controlled so the heater core is always flowing just directs the air through it when needed.

Is this climate control or the base model manual controls?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline MICHAEL MCGOVERN

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WESTERN AUSTRALIA
MY MODEL IS THE STANDARD ONE WITH STEEL WHEELS.  THE AIRCON & HEATING UNIT ARE COMBINED.  IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN BY CLIMATE CONTROLLED?  THE CONTROL IS A ROTARY KNOB TO INCREASE OR DECREASE TEMPERATURE, WITH A BUTTON TO ACTIVATE COMPRESSOR.  UNFORTUNATELY, EVEN WHEN HEATER IS SET AT LOWEST POINT I CANNOT INTRODUCE OUTSIDE AIR WITHOUT SOME DEGREE OF HEATING.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Copy and paste. I thought I was bad with CAPS.

Temperature control actuator is located at the heater unit. It regulates the temperature by the procedure as follows. Signal from control unit adjusts position of temperature door by operating temperature switch and then temperature will be regulated by the hot/cold air ratio decided by position of temperature door.

Tough one to get images

far left item 97236E is the door actuator basically a flap . That'as where IO'd be looking whether the door is jammed, this actuator has failed or it's not receiving the commands from the temp control unit

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Something else I learnt too in digging for you. The Diesels also have an electric element as well.
Known as a PTC Heater.

PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) heater  is an electric heater using a PTC element as an auxiliary heating device that supplements deficiency of interior heat source in highly effective diesel engine (U engine).
An electric heater heats up the interior by directly heating the air that passes through the heater.
PTC = positive Temperature Coefficient
The name itself implies that the element has a proportional resistance change sensitive to temperature. PTC heater is installed at the exit or the backside of heater core.
ECM outputs a PTC on signal. Operate PTC from 1st setting to 3rd setting with an interval of 15 seconds.
Heat up the air, which passes through a heater core.
I believe it activates if ambient temperature is below 5°C, coolant temperature is below 70°C, and battery voltage is above 11V and engine RPM is above 700RPM.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, that was discussed when I did some research helping out a member of the Spanish forum. I can't recall now whether it was to blame in that case but it was important to eliminate in the fault finding. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yes, that was discussed when I did some research helping out a member of the Spanish forum. I can't recall now whether it was to blame in that case but it was important to eliminate in the fault finding. :goodjob:
My Spanish is too poor to be part of that inquisition. gracias ( I had to google that!)  :rofl:

Offline MICHAEL MCGOVERN

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Thanks for message.  This is getting more and more complicated.  Could I simply insert a water stop valve in the supply from motor? I could turn the valve OFF in summer and On in winter

Offline MICHAEL MCGOVERN

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Thanks again.  In Western Australia I do not think I will ever need electric supplementary heating.  I must be getting old.  I can remember when a control cut the heat source (water) and a push button turned on A/C

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:07:55 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for message.  This is getting more and more complicated.  Could I simply insert a water stop valve in the supply from motor? I could turn the valve OFF in summer and On in winter

Well you could potentially get a bit of hose and connect either end to the ports off the engine like a bypass so it keeps circulatiing. I have had an engine that without that flow it overheats( flat 4 subaru)

Not that complicated really.  Just have to determine if it's the slave or  control side or just randomly replace the servo and or control module. Heaps of  wrecks around

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks again.  In Western Australia I do not think I will ever need electric supplementary heating.  I must be getting old.  I can remember when a control cut the heat source (water) and a push button turned on A/C

So can I but things have moved on. In fact it was often a point of seizure those cable drawn controls.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I remember my HQ with its cable sliders. :-[

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I remember my HQ with its cable sliders. :-[

I remember My   HQ with the mural, Speco floor shifter

and a 3 speed box

attached to a 253.

What a

of a car

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Mine was a Baby Shit Brown HQ Kingswood wagon with Traumatic 3-speed column shift hooked up to a 202. Fun and useful as my first car. The only mods I ever did was to fit a Rough Country radio cassette and speakers and to toss the Lucas alternator for a Bosch. :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal