i30 Owners Club

Tyres, cheap or expensive?

rcflyers · 55 · 13581

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I have a 2009 Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel.
I commute to work and back about 7 miles each way.

I have previously always fitted GoodYear Efficient grip tyres as they have a good balance of reasonable cost, fuel efficiency and low noise.
However, they don't seem to last as long as I think they should.
Am I better off going for really cheap tyres or something like Michelins that are reputed to last ages.
I certainly don't drive the car hard or fast so high speed cornering grip is not high on my list of requirements.

Thanks for any replies.
  • Getz i30

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
I bought recently  4 tyres    falken ziex ze310.

Price was much cheaper than michelin goodyear etc.

In autobuild test this year is in 3rd place. I found that the car is very stable now and has low tire noise in normal road.
I am satisfied till now. It is also in the sporty side and comfortable same time.

:link: 2018 Auto Bild 15 inch Summer Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews

:link: Falken Tyres | The Prestigious Title of ?Exemplary? for the FALKEN ZIEX ZE310 ECORUN in the big Autobild [a leading German automobile magazine] Summer Tyres

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 20:45:05 by chris_i30gd »
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@rcflyers

Don't buy a cheap brand. Go for something like Chris has recommended.  A name brand at a cheaper price. You need good quality rubber under you for wet or emergency situations.   :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You don't say what distance is on your odometer.
Just be aware that as cars get older (not just mileage, but age), the suspension components wear marginally, allowing slightly more movement even when the alignment is set correctly. Rubber bushes deteriorate without becoming dangerous and this can detract from a tyre's life. So if you have reasonable mileage for a 2009 car, plus the age of the componentry, an increase in tyre wear is to be expected.

Having said all that, basically stick with a reasonably well known brand without going top of the range and you should be OK.
And make sure you get a good alignment including a rear check.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are you still on originals?

What are you on at present?

Which are you replacing?
Front only, rear only or all 4?

What mileage have you got from those you wish to replace?

I replaced my front only at 21k from hanooks, originals, with a brand call Davanti.
They got good reports and good ratings for wet grip etc.

They were about same price as the hanooks.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
I had a similar car for 8 years and 288,000 miles. Apart from one set of front tyres I stuck with Hankooks and was happy enough with them. They cost about £60 each and lasted well, typically 40,000 miles front and 120,000 rear. Most of my driving was long, gentle journeys.

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
I have had our i30 1.6crdi for approx. 200 miles ( 2 weeks ) and it came with Pirelli p7 on the front and some strange brand on the rear I have never seen before.. I don't know if the car has had the tracking done or why the front tyres were changed but the steering is all over the place, not a confident drive at all..

I'm going to get the tracking checked does anyone know if it's 4 wheel alignment or two ?

Anyway, back to tyres.. as far as I see, it depends on weather you can change the tyres yourself or have a good relationship with a local fitter.. The tyres can be bought mail order at a discount on what they are available for at the fitters shop.. I have had some shockers but none that will kill you unless you think driving like Lewis Hamilton on £30 tyres but I have had some alarming slides on Pirelli, Avon, Continental and others.. I have also had some very short lived tyres also with the big brands.. I have been fitting elcheepo tyres for a while and have not had a bad one yet.. in fact for the money I am nothing but impressed reasonable tyres for bugger all money ?? Yes please..
  • 2011 1.6 CRDI COMFORT BLACK

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I've bought "quality" brand tyres every time. I think tyres are worst place to save money. I understand if you want to get cheap chinese tyres for a hobby car that you drive only few thousand km in a year. That is ok. But for daily driver I buy the best I can afford. I got old (hardened) tyres once with a car I bought. Plenty of thread but they were too old. Two times I went throught the red lights with locked wheels screeching. Luckily accidents did not happen. After I found out the make date of the tyres I went straight to the tyre shop and never had grip issues.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My Diamondbacks are doing far better than the OEM tyres at half the price.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My Diamondbacks are doing far better than the OEM tyres at half the price.
Crikey! Thought  those Diamond Backs were in the $80-90 ball park?

Half the price of OEMs which were what , Hankooks?
So $170 / tyre?
 :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:
I just fitted 2 TOYO 205 55  R16 PROXES CF2 Made in Japan @ $87 each Fitted, Balanced and disposal on an easter Sale for TYRESALES. Currently $107

Compared to the Kumho Solus KH17 I grabbed @ $95 on sale, they are very impressively quiet and grippy in the wet, we'll see how they last
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Diamondbacks are made by the Triangle Tyre Company.

Just sayin'  :crazy1:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think they were $70 fitted. Bargain! Go the Diamondbacks! :lol:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I think they were $70 fitted. Bargain! Go the Diamondbacks! :lol:
Total  commitment, gotta respect that. Stay away from Achilles also in that price bracket, 15000k and totally  :Rubbish: :argh:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
TYRESALES NITTO NT830 205 55 R16 94W $105 , Made in Japan

Only complaint, not happy the build date is 3rd quarter 2015! Feedback left will reflect this

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

TYRESALES NITTO NT830 205 55 R16 94W $105 , Made in Japan

Only complaint, not happy the build date is 3rd quarter 2015! Feedback left will reflect this

Quite unusual tread pattern! :cool:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Owned by Toyo.  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't worry about build date, just means they'll last longer. :D

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Provided they don't explode.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Would "Nitrogen" fix that problem? ? , :rofl:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Owned by Toyo.  :goodjob:
Handy to know, Fulcrum's doing the final touches to sort out the tyre shredder,

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Ive always had a good run with Toy's and will be buying again once I decide on new rims.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ive always had a good run with Toy's and will be buying again once I decide on new rims.

It's interesting how people get a favourite and tend to stick with it. I'm a bit of a Michelin fan, but seldom keep my cars long enough to swap tyres. I'm fairly price driven, but like a name brand. Gone with Goodyear mostly in the last decade but will be looking for the quietest name brand when I replace the SR's tyres. Looking like i'll get at least 50K out of them so that's another 12 months i've got up my sleeve to decide.  :Touch:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

It's interesting how people get a favourite and tend to stick with it. I'm a bit of a Michelin fan, but seldom keep my cars long enough to swap tyres. I'm fairly price driven, but like a name brand. Gone with Goodyear mostly in the last decade but will be looking for the quietest name brand when I replace the SR's tyres. Looking like i'll get at least 50K out of them so that's another 12 months i've got up my sleeve to decide.  :Touch:
I'm definitely price driven and also was a one brander , Bridgestone. that was after a bad Dunlop experience. So stayed away from anything Good Year, Dunlop or any affiliated business like Beurepaires etc that were owned by them.

after many years realised the Bridgestone RE92 had seen better days and were not great on a 3,5 V6 FWd, pretty poor actually,  tried Good Assurance, they were great but wore quick, Bridgestone T001 also good again worn quick, Had TOYOs before Transas Teo also were good, Yoko blueearth AE50, great intil the end, Dunlops SP01 excelent and grippy , achilles ok but wore quick, Kumho KH17 ,ok but lack grip as they get on especially in the wet with the torque of the diesel can be a nightmare, TOYO proxes CF2 feeling great , as are the new Nittos, turn in is quite sharper.
I've had Bridgestone MY02 and they were good too.

I think if you are patient and keep looking you can get some high end tyres for little more.

Problem with tyres if you make a bad choice it's a long time you're stuck with it, so trust is important to me. Once you lose that it's hard to go back.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Any one tried the Michelin Energy XM2 ?  Jax tyres have them for $116 .
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Oh, ha ha,  just remember Diamonds aren't forever   :disapp:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Is that quoted on the phone or online? I would say at that price grab them. never had Michelins but I'd expect them to be good. Looks like they are a $160 tyre

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Provided they don't explode.
270KPH rating, I think I'm stretched getting to 180. They still look new and fresh but If I still have them in 3 years it'll be interesting.

I don't think there are any laws either covering the gae sold when new either

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Is that quoted on the phone or online? I would say at that price grab them. never had Michelins but I'd expect them to be good. Looks like they are a $160 tyre

On the phone at my local Jax for two tyres. Trouble is I have still got heaps of tread left on my i30. Looked at the Michelin XM2  for my grandson but he decided to keep his noisy cheap tyres until they wear out.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:27:09 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

On the phone at my local Jax for two tyres. Trouble is I have still got heaps of tread left on my i30. Looked at the Michelin XM2  for my grandson but he decided to keep his noisy cheap tyres until they wear out.  :undecided:
yeah and when you really need them, they'll be full price. Stay away from Bob Jane labelled garbage too.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Lots of issues around age.
The attached article is good.
But don't be fooled into thinking it's only trailer tyres which are at risk.
As the article says, even Bridgestone puts a 5 year age limit it on its warranty.

I don't know if Goodyear Dunlop has introduced such a limit. At the time others were doing so, Goodyear management made a statement to the effect that they would never limit the warranty. However, lots of changes since then so they may well have.

The problem is that the older a tyre is, the less control you have over how it's been used or cared for. And very definitely, exposure to sunlight has a seriously detrimental effect on rubber and any other contents in a tyre.

:link: Check the age of your tyres for both car and trailer... it's vital | Practical Motoring

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal