i30 Owners Club

i40 gearbox shuddering

edmagman · 44 · 16724

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Hi to all,
I recently bought an i40 diesel wagon (2015 series 11), with the DCT gearbox, I noticed some shuddering on initial take off, and it dropped down two or three gears on a small incline, (engine revs like mad).
I took it to the dealers in Launceston who diagnosed a problem with the clutches in the gearbox, (73,000 kms), they initially told me it was wear and tear and not covered by warranty, ($2,100 just for the parts), I asked them to prepare a quote for me as I would be taking the matter further.
I went back a few days later to pick up the quote and was told it would be repaired under warranty.
We have picked up the car, it no longer shudders on take of but still drops down to many gears and revs like mad.
Has anyone heard of this problem or experienced it themselves on the i30 or i40?

Many thanks
Eddie   
  • 2019 Holden Astra RSV. 2019 Tucson Highlander.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Eddie,

Sorry to hear that. We have a member @beerman  with a  2017 i40 sedan with DCT he has mentioned it changes down on inclines but hasn't mentioned it revving excessively. Did it do this when you first got it or was it more normal?

Interesting they were going to try the wear and tear on clutch scenario. I would have expected a DCT warranty to be treated more like an auto (which is what they must have decided in the end).

My i30 SR DCT (MY18  model) also hold gears on downhill sections of road but again no excess revs and I have paddle sifters on the wheel if I want to change back up anyway. Do you have paddle shifters?

I believe they have made gradual improvements to the calibration of the DCT since it was first introduced in the Veloster.

@cruiserfied do you know if the DCT in a 2015 i40 would be adjustable for an issue like this? It's OK Tim, I'll PM you... :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Hi Dazzler,

Yes the i40 has paddle shifters, but I think it shifts down one or two gears to many, and the revs go past the 3,000 rpm mark.

I have just set it from the eco mode to the normal mode and my wife reports it seems to be better on an incline.

It seems it has been a problem from new as the previous owner complained about it at the first service, ( I found an invoice in the paper work we got with the car).

I just wonder what the car will be like in another 70,000 klms when it runs out of warranty.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As you can see I don't live far away from you and often get up to Lonnie. We might have to catch up for a cuppa some time and you can show me the problem 1st hand. We could also go for a spin on the same bit of road in my DCT i30 as a comparison.  :cool:

As a co-founder of the site 10 years ago I am probably the most active Member as far as catching up with other members. I think it is over 45 members now in all states and territories of Australia. always an interesting and usually a positive experience (for me at least)  :snigger:

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Hi Dazzler,

That's sounds good, can I give you my mobile number?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazzler,

That's sounds good, can I give you my mobile number?

Yeah sure. Just Pm me and I will send you mine too.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Eddie and I have had a chat by phone and I'm hoping to go up and experience this issue for myself next Tuesday 22nd. Might even do a video if it is really obvious.

We will then do the same loop in my SR as a comparison.

The i40 is a Diesel and mine is a Turbo Petrol, but should still be an interesting comparison.  :cool:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Didn't another i30 member report the over-reving issue on a DCT as well some time ago..?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Didn't another i30 member report the over-reving issue on a DCT as well some time ago..?

I'll search, but can't remember. A Facebook club member is complaining about his 2015 DCT Tourer in traffic... :undecided: :undecided:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine jumps back a couple of gears on a decline should you touch the brakes. I try to coast down the hill where I can to avoid it or punch the gears up by the paddles. As I live on a reasonable hill, I coast down to the bottom to avoid the revving when the car is not warm.

Falcons I have driven have automacially changed down when you apply the brakes on an incline, as the DCT is a more economical transmission and very closly geared I guess it is just getting itself into a position to change up quickly once you resume accelaration and I guess limit the number of options for the computer that needs to predict what your next move will be (If it gets it wrong a small delay is the penalty).

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Beerman. I told Eddie for a piss pot you talk a lot of sense.  :snigger: :goodjob:

Eddie was mainly using ECO mode, he says it is a bit better in normal mode.  :cool:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I flicked it over to normal mode last night too.

It was a short drive but it seems less savage on the downchange. It also had been a bit hesatant to go into the garage (it wouldn't just coast in I needed to use the accelarator to get it to move) it glided right in last night like every other auto has.

Perhaps the economy setting is just too savage?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I flicked it over to normal mode last night too.

It was a short drive but it seems less savage on the downchange. It also had been a bit hesatant to go into the garage (it wouldn't just coast in I needed to use the accelarator to get it to move) it glided right in last night like every other auto has.

Perhaps the economy setting is just too savage?

Awesome feedback thanks mate! @edmagman  this is interesting.

I've experimented with Eco mode in 3 of my last 4 cars (the two hybrids and the SR) and I find it makes minimal difference to the economy and in each case I have found normal to be a better everyday setting.  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I go back to work and have a hill on my way there that is always annoying, I'll see how she goes. Though it will be 5:15am so could well forget  :whistler:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks Beerman. I told Eddie for a piss pot you talk a lot of sense.  :snigger: :goodjob:

:rofl: :rofl: Now that's what we call 'real' news.  :cool:

Ive been watching this discussion with interest.  thanks Eddie, Beerman and Dazz . Valuable info.  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:rofl: :rofl: Now that's what we call 'real' news.  :cool:

Ive been watching this discussion with interest.  thanks Eddie, Beerman and Dazz . Valuable info.  :goodjob2:

Yeah, I'm way more subtle than you Gary.  :whistler: Beerman didn't even miss a gear (see what I did there)  :evil:

Offline Rat_tat

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

I'll search, but can't remember. A Facebook club member is complaining about his 2015 DCT Tourer in traffic... :undecided: :undecided:
That fb member is me.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• I30 gdi tourer

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Rat-tat. What are your main issues?

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Hi All,

Thanks for all your interest in the DCT gearbox, it makes interesting reading.
And a special thanks to Dazzler who I hope to meet tomorrow.
Hopefully we can sort out the problem.

Thanks Again

Offline Rat_tat

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi Dazzler
Ive had my 2015 i30 tourer petrol DCT for 6 months now. Im slowly learning its dct quirks. It is such a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. The jerky take of due to the clutch engaging and disengaging at slow speeds. Also braking to a slow comfortable stop is mostly out the window. I seem to have to make sure i come to a sudden stop or the clutch will reengage at the last second, jerking the car. All these small qirks add up to uncomfortable city driving. Other than that i enjoy the car.

• I30 gdi tourer

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazzler
Ive had my 2015 i30 tourer petrol DCT for 6 months now. Im slowly learning its dct quirks. It is such a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. The jerky take of due to the clutch engaging and disengaging at slow speeds. Also braking to a slow comfortable stop is mostly out the window. I seem to have to make sure i come to a sudden stop or the clutch will reengage at the last second, jerking the car. All these small qirks add up to uncomfortable city driving. Other than that i enjoy the car.

That's no good at all. Are you using eco mode. Sounds a bit like the behaviour Beerman described but to a lesser extent. He and Eddie both seem to think it drives smoother in normal mode.  :undecided:

Next time I'm in Melbourne I might have to check it out! Have you tried to test drive a similar car? I know they are a bit scare though.  :Pout:

Hi All,

Thanks for all your interest in the DCT gearbox, it makes interesting reading.
And a special thanks to Dazzler who I hope to meet tomorrow.
Hopefully we can sort out the problem.

Thanks Again

No problems Eddie. Yep, all systems  go for tomorrow if that still suits. I'll ring you in the morning when I'm leaving Devonport.  :goodjob:

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Thanks Dazz, look forward to seeing you.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Normal mode is much better.  I took the hill and it changed down one gear rather than the usual 2-3.

Still much nicer off the mark and to put in the garage.

No real change to the economy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Normal mode is much better.  I took the hill and it changed down one gear rather than the usual 2-3.

Awesome. So this is turning out to be a worthwhile thread.  :victory:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Awesome. So this is turning out to be a worthwhile thread.  :victory:

As you say , an excellent thread. Thanks Beerman too. :goodjob2: I remember comments by GD owners that ECO mode did little to nothing for economy.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well that was a nice day. No photos sorry. Maybe next time.

I think Eddie ( @edmagman ) will agree, we got on great and after doing a good test loop in both cars (his i40 and my SR) enjoyed a tasty lunch together.  :victory:

So we did several downhill sections in the i40 alternating between eco mode and normal mode. The flaring (high revving caused by the transmission downshifting) was definitely more noticeable and aggressive in eco mode. Dropping 2 or 3 gears and revving up to and sometimes past 4000 rpm.

In normal mode the issue was definitely less pronounced but still there. Revving higher than necessary or more than say a manual driver would tend to do.

As a comparison Eddie did a similar loop in my DCT SR and this illustrated how a well calibrated DCT should behave. More like a normal Auto transmission, with little or no down changing down hills.

It is a very nice car overall and I think Eddie can work around it in normal mode, but SWMBO isn't happy and I've been there with Mrs Bailey number 3.

What we need to find out from someone (and I have asked by PM) if there is a hardware adjustment or firmware update available to address this behaviour which appears to have been calibrated out of the latest Hyundai DCTs.

One of the problems is they are such a rare beast (series 2 i40 with DCT) not sure many technicians have had any experience working with them for issues like this.

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Hi to All,

Special thanks to you Dazzler, for making the time to come to Launceston and check out the i40.

Your i30 behaved faultlessly, all DCT's should drive like yours.

I think if we could get them to downshift only 1 gear, they would be more like a normal transmission and more enjoyable to drive.

You get to the stage of NOT wanting to put your foot on the brake because you dread what will happen next, not a good scenario, maybe an accident waiting to happen.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Well that was a nice day. No photos sorry. Maybe next time.

I think Eddie ( @edmagman ) will agree, we got on great and after doing a good test loop in both cars (his i40 and my SR) enjoyed a tasty lunch together.  :victory:

So we did several downhill sections in the i40 alternating between eco mode and normal mode. The flaring (high revving caused by the transmission downshifting) was definitely more noticeable and aggressive in eco mode. Dropping 2 or 3 gears and revving up to and sometimes past 4000 rpm.

In normal mode the issue was definitely less pronounced but still there. Revving higher than necessary or more than say a manual driver would tend to do.

As a comparison Eddie did a similar loop in my DCT SR and this illustrated how a well calibrated DCT should behave. More like a normal Auto transmission, with little or no down changing down hills.

It is a very nice car overall and I think Eddie can work around it in normal mode, but SWMBO isn't happy and I've been there with Mrs Bailey number 3.

What we need to find out from someone (and I have asked by PM) if there is a hardware adjustment or firmware update available to address this behaviour which appears to have been calibrated out of the latest Hyundai DCTs.

One of the problems is they are such a rare beast (series 2 i40 with DCT) not sure many technicians have had any experience working with them for issues like this.

Hi Dazz,
Saw your FB post this morning   :lol:
Clutching at straws here with this :
Is it possible that it's changing down as if part of the cruise control is activated ?
  :head_butt:  :wacko: 
Also, old work Ranger used to change down as you slowed down when using the brakes.
Could it be out of wack / sync ? (Head a bit slow but hopefully everyone can follow )
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

From what beerman has said I think it is normal for this box, Mick. I don't think anything is out of whack, but I get your drift.  :goodjob:

Yes, Eddie, I can see how it could be distracting if you don't feel comfortable with it. Maybe if you contact Hyundai via their contact page and explain you are not getting any empathy from Motors Launceston and you want to know if there is any software or hardware modification available to fix this transmission flaring on hill descents. They don't seem very responsive to 3rd party enquiries in these instances.

In the meantime I will try and do more research behind the scenes. :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Update: Not much to report unfortunately.  My behind the scenes enquiries appear to have fallen on deaf ears apparently.   :Dunno:

I have however spoken to the service advisor in Devonport and explained that Eddie isn't comfortable dealing with Launceston on this issue so he is expecting a call from Eddie in the next week or so to arrange to bring it up for a look.  It is a start I suppose.   :wait:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal