i30 Owners Club

New tyres: Uniroyal RainExpert 3 -- very impressed

MrWB · 4 · 1353

Offline MrWB

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I bought my 2014 i30 at 11 months old, with the stock tyres and 10k on the clock. The tread was wearing very quickly, and I wanted to replace with something with a deeper standard tread so instead of just changing the fronts, I changed everything for Dunlop BluResponse Sport's at around 19k miles.

Initially I was very happy with the Dunlops, stickier than the stocks, but very quickly the handling started to degrade on the car. Didn't think a great deal of it, and the better half didn't notice anything strange.

At around 30k miles (4 year service), I was shown that there was cracking starting in the centre of the treads on all four tyres. Was told it wasn't too bad, passed the MOT but should just keep an eye on it.

I've just had the 5 year interim service and MOT (37k miles), this time at a trusted independent garage and friend of the family that looks after all our other cars in the family (I'd been going to the dealer as I was considering trading in for a newer i30 / Tucson but have decided to hang onto the i30, so just went local). Mentioned the tyres, and just said to swap them all round as the cracking was pointed out a year ago, and the tread depth is still legal, but only just.

He put Uniroyal RainExpert 3's on. Also did have new rear brake pads and discs, and the service and MOT. The car is now handling the best it evert has. The niggles I've had with handling for the past 18 months have all completely gone... Even the tiny niggles I had with vagueness of steering since getting the car in the first place, no longer an issue.

Yet to try the tyres in proper rain, but looking at reviews of the RainExpert 3's after having them put on and noticing the difference, a lot of people seem very happy with them on all range of vehicles. They cost less than the Dunlop's, and time will tell how they last --- but they'd have to seriously try hard to degrade as fast as the Dunlops!

Just thought I'd share my experience so far with them in case anyone else is looking for tyres! I'll pop an update in a few months and maybe a year too.
  • 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Blue Drive Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, White, Active

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks for your informative insight, MrWB :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that! Very interesting. Can't say I've heard the brand uniroyal in a long time over here!  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Bridgestone bought out Uniroyal in Australia early 80s.
Elsewhere in the world , Continental took it over in Europe but I have an idea Michelin controls it in the US.
The Uniroyal 180 and 240 were great in the wet in the 70s in Australia.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal