i30 Owners Club

Pie In The Sky

i30premy · 16 · 16631

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Feeling a bit bored today so we decided to go for a short drive for lunch. Always wanted to visit Pie In The Sky which is on the northern outskirts of Sydney. It's located on the old Pacific HWay which has been bypassed by our M1 motorway. The road is very popular with bikers & enthusiasts drivers, speed limit is 60-80kph & is regularly patrolled by our HWP guys.

Anyway for those members not familar with our area....

Was very pleasant in the ourdoor area - except for the wind  :(

The range of pies available - what to choose  :confused:

So why the name Pie in the Sky? The cafe is located in an elevated area & the view from the outdoor area looks east over national park to Berowra/Hawksbury River

On the return trip came back via Berowra Waters ferry & stopped off for an ice cream

• i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good stuff Neville.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like a very nice outing. Food, scenery and a nice drive. Trish and I love doing that.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It also made a cameo appearance in the movie, "Lantana".

Which is excellent, by the way.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So how many pies did you scoff?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Great pictures Neville :goodjob: must be pie season, I took a drive out to the Pinjarra Bakery And Patisserie last Thursday for a lovely curry pie and chips :bbq1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
.... "Lantana".

:crazy1: crap! its full of ticks, the red variety kills cows and it makes me itch.

Yoooz types should get off yiz sofas and suffer with us real Kiw... :undecided:...oztralins.  :crazy1:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
.... "Lantana".

:crazy1: crap! its full of ticks, the red variety kills cows and it makes me itch.

Yoooz types should get off yiz sofas and suffer with us real Kiw... :undecided:...oztralins.  :crazy1:
So, you reckon you're a QueeNZlander?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :goodjob2:  been waiting for that recognition since 1971   :lol:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:goodjob2:  been waiting for that recognition since 1971   :lol:
It's a common car sticker up here.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Good stuff Neville.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like a very nice outing. Food, scenery and a nice drive. Trish and I love doing that.  :victory:

When I came to Oz, I realised where the expression 'half-pied' and 'half assed' came from : The shi88iest tasting pies in the world- you would eat half and give the rest to a starving dog.

And then a few 'chefs' saw an untapped goldmine.
Pie in the sky is doing great business because of an excellent product. (and  terrific location) We have a similar iconic business just south of Brisbane called Yatla Pies.

Their pies have fresh meat and aren't filled with runny black goo and masses of spice to give flavour to die with.

You may sense that this has ALSO been troubling me for decades.  :mrgreen:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The Beefy pie chain up here does good pies but the best I've come across are in Maitland, NSW and Greta which is midway between Maitland and Cessnock.

When we were in Sydney one of the radio stations used to run an annual best pie shop contest. Think it was Today FM. Our son who's now in Canada worked at one of the Darling Harbour hotels, maybe the Ibis and was friends with their head chef whom was asked to be the judge. He wasn't interested but nominated David. So for weeks, once a week David got to ride around Sydney in one of those Black Thunder type of things sampling pies.

Think he eventually gave the award to a pie shop at Collaroy.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sounds like he had ball.  :goodjob2:

I was being rather tongue in cheek- you know me by now  :rolleyes: but its amazed me that so many food outlets serve up mediocre to inedible food and wonder why no one comes back.
When we are in Asia we eat out and go into a restaurant that is full of people, consequently weve never had a bad meal.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: nzenigma
Sounds like he had ball.

They put all sorts in pies these days... just sayin' :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Sounds like he had ball.

Or 2   :rofl:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sounds like he had ball.

Or 2   :rofl:

:faint: That's it, I'm gone.   :lol:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Beefy pie chain up here does good pies but the best I've come across are in Maitland, NSW and Greta which is midway between Maitland and Cessnock.

When we were in Sydney one of the radio stations used to run an annual best pie shop contest. Think it was Today FM. Our son who's now in Canada worked at one of the Darling Harbour hotels, maybe the Ibis and was friends with their head chef whom was asked to be the judge. He wasn't interested but nominated David. So for weeks, once a week David got to ride around Sydney in one of those Black Thunder type of things sampling pies.

Think he eventually gave the award to a pie shop at Collaroy.

My Daughter loves Beefies they are one of the few gluten free pie places that take it seriously.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal