i30 Owners Club

i30 GD tourer towbar - who supplies Hyundai the genuine item?

Offline 1600dave

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
Hi all,
I'm looking to put a towbar on my 2013 GD tourer, and prefer the genuine item with the square hitch receiver - none of the aftermarket bars I've found are like this, they're the flat 2 bolt tongue style.
I'm not having any luck with wreckers, and Hyundai want $700 for the kit alone, or around $1100 fitted.

Just wondering if anyone knows who the OEM supplier to Hyundai is, I want to see if I can go to them directly.
Sometimes their details are on the hitch sticker or compliance plate welded to the bar itself, or on install instructions etc.

Speaking of instructions, if anyone has a copy I wouldn’t mind having a look over them pretty please.

Thanks
  • i30 Tourer

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The square hitch type is normally Hayman Reece.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Medium duty, 40 mm hitch receiver is what you're looking for.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :crazy1:
Well, that blew that idea.  :head_butt:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
The load rating between a GD light duty and PD heavy duty is only 200 kg and 75 kg ball down-load, 1500/1300 150/75, but the GD bar is exposed opposed to the concealed PD. What do you plan to tow with your GD to need that much more capacity? My guess is that they no longer produce the heavy duty GD bar due to the model being obsolete. How about wreckers?
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline 1600dave

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria
Thanks guys,
Yeah already looked at all the aftermarket options and tried wreckers but no luck.
Looking at older Hayman Reese catalogs appears they never produced it, so the factory bar may have been made elsewhere, or Hyundai had exclusive rights to it?

I'm not even sure what the load rating is on the factory bar, but I'm after the 40mm square reciever due to being easily removed and have a bike carrier that will fit it.
  • i30 Tourer

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I found another option https://etowbars.com/au/Towbars/Hyundai/i-30/Station-wagon/from-06-2012 seen them before on some of the European websites but first Australian seller I've noticed.

Reese - towbarsaustralia - mrtowbar all seem to use the light duty fixed tongue type.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal