i30 Owners Club

Crash Repair : GD v FD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The FD i30 has a reputation amongst dealers and repairers, of being a bit soft in the front.

This is because the chassis rails have a bolt on front extension that is made to collapse upon impact.
When this happens, the radiator support frame (made of metal and plastic) collapses into a pile of junk and the bonnet bends, destroying itself on its detent points.

The BIG positive is that in a minor traffic accident, the rest of the car may escape damage. The FD can be easily repaired by replacing the chassis extensions and other parts.

On the GD i30, I was drawn to the heavy chassis rails that do not have an extension. The weakest point appears to be well back in the engine bay, below the engine mounts.

http://i.imgur.com/MEMP9dO.jpg

I can only reach the conclusion that the GD will probably take a bit more of a light hit, but, owners should look seriously at their insurance policies. In the event of a moderate accident, they will probably be requiring enough payout to buy a new car; because this car will not be repaired.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Gary, interesting info! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The FD i30 has a reputation amongst dealers and repairers, of being a bit soft in the front.

This is because the chassis rails have a bolt on front extension that is made to collapse upon impact.
When this happens, the radiator support frame (made of metal and plastic) collapses into a pile of junk and the bonnet bends, destroying itself on its detent points.

The BIG positive is that in a minor traffic accident, the rest of the car may escape damage. The FD can be easily repaired by replacing the chassis extensions and other parts.

On the GD i30, I was drawn to the heavy chassis rails that do not have an extension. The weakest point appears to be well back in the engine bay, below the engine mounts.

http://i.imgur.com/MEMP9dO.jpg

I can only reach the conclusion that the GD will probably take a bit more of a light hit, but, owners should look seriously at their insurance policies. In the event of a moderate accident, they will probably be requiring enough payout to buy a new car; because this car will not be repaired.

Go the FD, go you good thing.

Interesting point you make. First thing I noticed it that wagon I scrapped was those bolt-on sections and thought to myself like you highlight if you had to, you could repair the front simply with the bolt on bits.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Unfortunately, they probably went to the junk yard. I collect them, so be it. :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal